Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a really good TJ mechanic. Preferably in Colorado Springs. I am chasing a crank, no start condition and I am at about my wicks end. If anyone knows of someone I would appreciate the heads up.
If you have someone outside of Colorado Springs, I could possibly trailer it to them, but I'm not sure if my buddies trailer is available.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Igoo65

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Did it throw any codes or check engine light?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it gave me a P0320 code Crank position sensor. I put one in and nothing. I have 50 psi fuel, spark at coil and at each spark plug. For timing, I am at TDC on the compression stroke with the rotor pointing at the #1 post. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
it gave me a P0320 code Crank position sensor. I put one in and nothing. I have 50 psi fuel, spark at coil and at each spark plug. For timing, I am at TDC on the compression stroke with the rotor pointing at the #1 post. I'm at a loss.
If you are sure of the TDC for the compression strike you are right. It makes no sense. However if you are not absolutely sure on TDC it could be off 180°. It may be worth a shot to turn it back.

The other is always the possibility of a bad CPS. I believe the CPS controls the fuel injectors which without fuel there will be no fire. Try some starting fluid into the intake and see if it fires.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the starting fluid and nothing. I am waiting for my noids to get here to test the fuel injectors. I went to Mopar and got another CPS. I am going to try it and see what happens. I may not have time until tomorrow night. I will recheck my timing.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I tried the starting fluid and nothing. I am waiting for my noids to get here to test the fuel injectors. I went to Mopar and got another CPS. I am going to try it and see what happens. I may not have time until tomorrow night. I will recheck my timing.
If it has spark but wont fire, my guess is you are off by 180°. Especially if it wont fire even with starting fluid.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well life has gotten in the way of me working on the Jeep. I will try your suggestions in a couple of days and let you know what happened.
Thanks for your help Doug!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Dont forget the CAM sensor near the oil pump! It shares the same code as the CPS sensor on the 97 models. Mine went south and I also had an intermittent start. It was fairly inexpensive IIRC.

Reactions: Igoo65

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What happened was that I broke the hold down tab on the distributor. I replaced the distributor and still no start. I put in a crank position sensor and still no start. I took it back to Mopar and had them order a new one. My injector noids showed up today. As soon as I can get some time to work on the Jeep, I will check the timing again, check my injectors and look for broken wires. Ever since I put this new engine in, I have had nothing but problems and it is driving me nuts!

Igoo65

·
Registered
727 Posts
Having troubles with mine dying after an hour or so. A couple hours of cooling off allows it to go another hour or so.

Have a part on the way so I can check fuel pressure without cutting the line.

How much is a CPS? EDIT - that is a chankshaft position sensor and not the problem. Got a short circuit going with trying to fix too many things at once.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a update on my no crank no start saga. I have replaced the crank position sensor (Mopar). Replaced the distributor. I have spark at the coil and each spark plug. I replaced the spark plugs last night and It has new spark plug wires new in March. My fuel pressure is 55 psi. All injectors are working (checked with injector noid light). Last night I was checking timing. I had the #1 spark plug out and I was bringing the engine up on TDC on the compression stroke. I forgot to remove the coil wire and the engine fired and ran without the #1 spark plug in. I shut the engine off and It went back to crank no start.
I don't have a engine scanner, so I can't see what is happening in real time. I would have pulled my hair out if I had any.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks,
Igoo65

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Well that's weird. Even though it fired, check your ground wire on the coil and also check the spark plug and coil wire to make sure they are not grounding out on something. It could be that when you move the wires just a little that it is just not making a good connection.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I checked all my grounds and pulled the distributor, reversed it 180 to see if I was 180 off. It still won't start. Looks like it is going to a mechanic tomorrow! :atomic:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Well I checked all my grounds and pulled the distributor, reversed it 180 to see if I was 180 off. It still won't start. Looks like it is going to a mechanic tomorrow! :atomic:
Knowing you luck it will "hopefully" something simple

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is this the same problem you were having last winter/spring? Didn't you just get up and running for the Phools run? Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It sure is!
It's Alive! I took my Jeep over to Tony at Car Worxs in Colorado Springs (Jimmy from Edgewater 4X4 suggested him) Jimmy is in Canon City and didn't have time to look at it). Tony found that the harness connector that connects to the crank position sensor had some cracked wires. Also to get it started, he had to unbolt the distributor, rotate it until is started. He put a timing light on it and made sure it was sitting at TDC. He said that I had it on the #1 cylinder at TDC, but until he rotated the distributor it wouldn't start. He set it at TDC and it is purring like a kitten!
Thanks for everyones help!
Igoo65

1 - 20 of 22 Posts