Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been a couple weeks since I found this lovely hole in my muffler... So Ive been looking for mufflers for awhile and not really sure whats the best to get I don't want to spend 80 bucks but I'm worried the ones I have found for $37-$50 aren't going to last as long. I'm just hoping anyone out there knows the goods and the bad's? My wrangler is a 95 Rio grande 4.0

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The straight pipe is also quite loud and can annoy some people, especially if you drive it on a longer trip. You get tickets around here for it, too. I run a $35 thrush welded. It hasn't rusted out after 2 years, and it gives it a good tone, and I get a little better gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Girl, $80? For a muffler? I personally don't see that as being a bad price if it includes the shipping to you.

I wouldn't do the straight pipe thing, for one it gets annoying after a while, and another, most states it is illegal as well. If Ore, has inspection laws, it most likely wouldn't pass without a muffler. Besides the fact that the engine is designed to be run with the back pressure of a muffler in the system.

If you are afraid of spending $80 for a part on your Jeep, you might want to think about a different vehicle. Just sayin'. I have an 87, and I have spent over $10K in parts in the past 4 yrs rebuilding it one step at a time. $80 bucks ,,sheesh, I wish.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Check you local mom and pop muffler shops , you should be able to do a quality muffler and pipe for around $150.00 installed , where in Oregon are you ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If the rest of your exhaust is good get a cherry bomb glass pack.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Girl, $80? For a muffler? I personally don't see that as being a bad price if it includes the shipping to you.

I wouldn't do the straight pipe thing, for one it gets annoying after a while, and another, most states it is illegal as well. If Ore, has inspection laws, it most likely wouldn't pass without a muffler. Besides the fact that the engine is designed to be run with the back pressure of a muffler in the system.

If you are afraid of spending $80 for a part on your Jeep, you might want to think about a different vehicle. Just sayin'. I have an 87, and I have spent over $10K in parts in the past 4 yrs rebuilding it one step at a time. $80 bucks ,,sheesh, I wish.
Not fear I guess after living with my dad for 16 years I got his cheap don't want to spend money mind set... I'm okay with spending money for something good. I guess what I should have said is If I can get a good one for $50 instead of $180 then I'd rather do that.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't put big bucks into a muffler. They are a replacement part that gets tons of abuse from the elements. I have had this muffler for over 5 years on my YJ. It's gone up a little...here it is in your area...NAPA AUTO PARTS

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can't see the price on the one from napa but it looks like the one I was looking at on amazon. It's called Walker 21200 Quiet flow and the price is 76. I figured if i can't make it sound like a v8, I'd try to make it so i can't hear it :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was looking at stainless thinking it would last longer. The one from napa would be the same as stock, correct? My stock muffler has lasted since was new so I'd be happy with the same.

·
Registered
879 Posts
if they use salt on the roads, go with stainless. summitracing has a good selection

the cheap ones will be done in 2 winters

1 - 20 of 31 Posts