Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to experience my first winter with my first TJ. Been told these Wranglers are terrible in snow. That true? What can I expect due to the short wheelbase? I'm use to an ext. cab truck.
Have 31 inch BF Goodrich on now.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
It will depend on you...your driving and your tires. It will try to "swap ends" in a heartbeat in light snow if you are heavy on the throttle. You can help reduce that by using 4wd even when it is not "needed" as long as there is enough snow so that the wheels/ drivetrain does not bind.

You will find that good tires make a HUGE difference and that deeper snow you can run right through while other "4wds" are having issues. It also tends to take away that swapping ends thing when snow gets deeper.

Remember though Jeeps are not made to be driven Fast on dry pavement so don't expect a "speed demon" in the snow, but IMO best thing for winter time driving and summer time top down cruising. It is the only one that does both!!

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Somebody told you wrong. Wranglers love snow. They do get squirrely on ice though. On that and light snow/slush, just take it easy. Deep stuff, they just go through it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
be easy with the go juice and you will crawl through the snow just be careful on ice

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the quick info! I kinda figured that was the case. Looking forward to messin around in the deeper stuff. :)
I'm a 46 year old kid, so it'll be fun.

·
Registered
201 Posts
remember, just because you can go, doesnt mean you can stop! Wranglers are ultra light, with the wheelbase of a mid-sized atv. Never forget that.

·
Registered
640 Posts
id rather be in the desert than nashville...we dont get snow we get slush and hella lot of black ice
i miss livin in philly

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wisconsin baby - land of snow in winter, mud in summer :)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Jeeps are good in snow especially when you want to have fun.

4wd driving straight up the road while sideways going up hill

·
Registered
47 Posts
My jeep does great in the snow. I put it in 4WD anytime its slick and the back tires want to spin easily. Just remember that it is a short wheel based veh, give yourself enough time/room to slow down and stop when needed. Otherwise your TJ will do just fine and plow through stuff most others cant.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
id rather be in the desert than nashville...we dont get snow we get slush and hella lot of black ice
i miss livin in philly
Come on back - the weathers great.

Heat and humidity in summer, snow and cold in winter, the occasional hurricane, whats not to love.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
It will depend on you...your driving and your tires. It will try to "swap ends" in a heartbeat in light snow if you are heavy on the throttle.

Oh yea it will swap ends easly.....and in turns

·
Registered
51 Posts
Never had a problem going through snow...my issues come when I lift off the gas in 2nd gear crawling over hard pack/icy stuff. Swaps ends real easy even going slow.

·
Registered
239 Posts
with my duratracs - i handle snow like a boss!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Snow is no problem. Nothing on earth can travel safely over ice. 4x4 is the worst thing you can have for ice. Trust me I know, I have to clean up more trucks, Jeeps and SUV's that have slid off the road because they thought their 4 wheel drive was invincible.:facepalm:

·
Registered
640 Posts
The one thing ive gotten to thinking about is do i need ABS if it gets icey?

·
Registered
755 Posts
02tj-clayton said:
The one thing ive gotten to thinking about is do i need ABS if it gets icey?
I've never had ABS on any of my vehicles. Just be easy on the brakes and downshifting is a good way to slow down as well if you have a manual. But again be easy on it and you'll be right as rain. Give yourself plenty of stopping/sliding space. And have fun!!!:-D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I guess the Armed Forces took 50 years to figure out that the Jeep was not good in all off road conditions before they went to a different ride that only lasted a decade or so.

The Jeep is awesome in all conditions and excels in snow with the correct tires.

Put street tires on a monster truck and it would not be worth a darn in mud or snow.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts