Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Oahu and Hawaii for 2 weeks and there is a TON of Wranglers and Jeep veichles. Secured a Sahara for our Oahu stay and was great having the open top.
Here in Hawaii we could not get one, so it's a Jeep Compass (POS). At least the radio sounds good.

There are Jeep a Wranglers every where you look, as well as the Compass, Cherokee and the Renegade. All popular rental cars. The only car/truck I see more is the Toyota Tacoma!! Wow they might outnumber Jeep in general. Especially in Kona and Hilo.

Reactions: SOCALGAL

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Funny... I'm in a base level Patriot since my accident and I'm thinking the same thing... what a P.O.S. lol

I can't even touch the gas without it pulling to the right.
Just what I need. ANOTHER :censored: accident.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny... I'm in a base level Patriot since my accident and I'm thinking the same thing... what a P.O.S. lol

I can't even touch the gas without it pulling to the right.

Just what I need. ANOTHER :censored: accident.

Its the engine and transmission on the Compass. Its struggling on any hill or passing. My Wrangler on 35s and 3.21 does better. Its horrible. This thing rides in 3rd gear and sucks gas as the revs are so high.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I'm actually in Maui on vacation now. Crazy how any wranglers there are as rentals. They seem to outnumber ALL other rentals 2:1. All sports with a good mix of 2 door and 4 doors, soft tops and hard tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm actually in Maui on vacation now. Crazy how any wranglers there are as rentals. They seem to outnumber ALL other rentals 2:1. All sports with a good mix of 2 door and 4 doors, soft tops and hard tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here few more hardtops and most of them Sports. Few are Sahara models like ours

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Foreign "Jeeps" and 4x4's

Reminiscent of CJ's, Mitsubishi Montero's, and Samurai's of years past...

Top to bottom: Thar, Force-Gurkha, and Maruti Gypsy

Be thankful you're not in India.. Where they consider the Mahindra THAR to be a "Jeep"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I rented a Wrangler X 2dr soft top on a trip to the big island back in 2008.

I wanted to see the snow on top of Mauna Kea and they recommend that you have 4WD to make the trip up the mountain. That was the only reason I rented one.

That was my fatal mistake. I got Wrangler stuck in my head and eventually I had to buy one :)

Yes, there are lots of them in Hawaii.. I took the shot below coming down the mountain following two other Wranglers.

Attachments

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Those Thar's are a wicked knockoff of the CJ's! Just watched some vids and one of the reviews stated that new for 2016/17 was the option for locking rear diffs. Way to step up, guys!

Aside: having spent quite a bit of time out of Honolulu on working boats and talking with locals, you can improve your haole score by correctly enunciating the words. For example:

* It's O'ahu. as in O - ahu. Not O-wahoo
* Maui is Mah-u-ee. Not Mow-wee.
* Kauai is Kaw-ew-ah-ee. Not Ka-wye
* Honolulu is Hoe-Noe-lu-lu, not Hah-noe-lulu. Remember to break after the Hono as it is the word for sea turtle, so say it with emphasis on the Hono then lulu.

Mahalo. :)
(certified haole)

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's tricky bringing over a modified Jeep from the mainland to Hawaii. Can't wait to get mine legal and out there to do some off-roading on the Big Island.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's tricky bringing over a modified Jeep from the mainland to Hawaii. Can't wait to get mine legal and out there to do some off-roading on the Big Island.

Whats the difference? Lots of big wheel, lifted and flat fender jeeps here.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I rented a Wrangler X 2dr soft top on a trip to the big island back in 2008.

I wanted to see the snow on top of Mauna Kea and they recommend that you have 4WD to make the trip up the mountain. That was the only reason I rented one.

That was my fatal mistake. I got Wrangler stuck in my head and eventually I had to buy one :)

Yes, there are lots of them in Hawaii.. I took the shot below coming down the mountain following two other Wranglers.

Arrived back on Maui yesterday and now I just give a nod knowing that I saved money on the rental fee and that I have my own waiting on me when I get back to DFW.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Its the engine and transmission on the Compass. Its struggling on any hill or passing. My Wrangler on 35s and 3.21 does better. Its horrible. This thing rides in 3rd gear and sucks gas as the revs are so high.
Which engine and trans is in the Compass? The Compass and Patriot are essentially the same vehicle, one just looks uglier than the other.

It comes with a 2.0L or 2.4L engine. Obviously the 2.4L is the option on the higher trim levels. You may be rolling in a base 2.0L. Shocking the Compass and Patriot you at least get a couple options for an engine unlike our JKs. So coming from a Wrangler, where we only get one choice of engine, it's easy to understand where you may group all Compass's into the same engine/trans sh*t pile, but that's not actually the case.

My son owns a 2014 Patriot Limited 4WD with the 2.4L engine, auto trans. In my opinion, it actually moves pretty well and the trans shifts very smooth. It's quicker than my 3.8L JK and the trans shifts much nicer. It's nothing to brag about, but for the price the Patroit we got, I have no complaints. Now the Renegade we got and the sh*t 9-Speed trans that Fiat put in there, is garbage. If I could have the body and interior styling or the Renegade, with the engine/drive train of the Patriot, it would be a pretty nice vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Which engine and trans is in the Compass? The Compass and Patriot are essentially the same vehicle, one just looked uglier than the other.

It comes with a 2.0L or 2.4L engine. Obviously the 2.4L is the option on the higher trim levels. You may be rolling in a base 2.0L. Shocking the Compass and Patriot you at least get a couple options for an engine unlike our JKs. So coming from a Wrangler, where we only get one choice of engine, it's easy to understand where you may group all Compass's into the same engine/trans sh*t pile, but that's not actually the case.

My son owns a 2014 Patriot Limited 4WD with the 2.4L engine, auto trans. In my opinion, it actually moves pretty well and the trans shifts very smooth. It's quicker than my 3.8L JK and the trans shifts much nicer. It's nothing to brag about, but for the price the Patroit we got, I have no complaints. Now the Renegade we got and the sh*t 9-Speed trans that Fiat put in there, is garbage. If I could have the body and interior styling or the Renegade, with the engine/drive train of the Patriot, it would be a pretty nice vehicle.

Not sure. Was a Latitude version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
103 Posts
Whats the difference? Lots of big wheel, lifted and flat fender jeeps here.
They won't allow you to bring a lifted Jeep with large tires to the islands without modifications like mud flaps and max coverage flares. And depending on lift size, they may not allow it to be shipped to the islands from the mainland.

Looks like inspections are lax once you're there and modify there, but when you ship from the mainland, you only have weeks to get it "legal" to get proper registration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts