Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have one on my iPhone ... Haven't tried it on the trail yet but it seems to work pretty well when tilting the phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
@banipal19-that looks cool!What is the name of that app?I would like to get that on my iPhone!May never use it,but would be fun to play with!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here you go ....

Attachments

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
If you want to get a stick on type "tilt meter" go right ahead. They're a hell of a lot cheaper than an iPhone. When you mount it just make sure you're on level ground.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
Tilt meters are something typically only seen on Jeeps owned by those new to offroading. While they look cool to some, they actually don't help because the angle that might be enough to make a Jeep tip over on a rocky trail with good traction may not be enough if it is sandy, etc.... plus the COG (center of gravity) of the Jeep is a huge factor for when it might tip or roll. Like carrying too much gear or full jerry cans up high will raise the COG and make it more prone to rolling or tipping, having a full tank of gas, nothing carried up high, and lots of armor underneath will lower the COG.

There are far too many variables that can affect at which point a Jeep will tip or roll for a guage like that to be useful. And usually what feels steep enough to scare the bejeesusus out of someone new to offroading is not normally even close to being steep enough to really cause it to tip or roll. My wife was in a panic her first day offroading with me, she was screaming (!!!) my TJ was going to tip over and it was just barely at an angle. Making her get out and look at the Jeep from the rear to see that it really was at only a very slight angle and not even close to tipping over calmed her down considerably. Thankfully.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna say, if you need one of those you really shouldn't be wheelin'..:confused:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
O.K. RUBI, I concede they may have a use...I've seen 'em on boats, but never vehicles. I'm old school. What next, auto pilot..?

·
Registered
277 Posts
nastyrider17 said:
I have that same app too. It's nice because I custom made an Ipod dock on my dashboard so I can see it good. I still haven't tried it off road though.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but do you have a pic of your iPod dock? I'm getting tired of mine sitting in my cupholder taking up refreshing beverage room!!

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
O.K. RUBI, I concede they may have a use...I've seen 'em on boats, but never vehicles. I'm old school. What next, auto pilot..?
I would think that they could at least give a beginner a rough idea what's going on. I agree with Jerry that sometimes things feel worse than they actually are, so with a tilt meter at least you have an idea that while 10* (for example) may feel scary it's nothing to worry about. That's how you learn. My complaint was with your statement that "maybe he shouldn't be four wheeling". Who the hell gave you the right to say something like that? We all started at square one somewhere with something in our lives. Also BTW, the "auto pilot" remark has zilch point zero relation to the subject at hand.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
^ Good points RUBI, I guess It did sound a bit harsh. I honestly have never heard of one before, used on a vehicle. And you're right, the auto pilot statement didn't have anything to do with the subject.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well,whether or not the inclinometer is relevant is not germaine to the situation.The app is awesome,and the iPhone is my most prized possession,believe it or not.I love my Jeep,but can't carry it around in my pocket.Also,why put your iPhone in the cupholder?My Jeep came factory equipped with a perfect place to hold my iPhone-right on top and center of the dash!Keeps it from sliding out,even doorless!They were way ahead of their time,and predicted the future!iPhone,and iJeep-therefore I am!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts