Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem has been narrowed down slightly or so I thought but now it seems I'm back to where I started. To give, anyone that is willing to help me out, a little background info about the Jeep the PO neglected this thing big time. It's a 94 and the more I dig into it I'm thinking he changed the gas and that's it. I don't think he did any maintenance, but now that she's mine I'm trying to bring her back to life. I have replaced the master and slave cylinder about 5000 miles ago. My issue is when I go back and forth to work my Jeep shifts fine, but when I make a much longer trip the shifting seems to progressively get worse the longer I keep it on the road. Especially downshifting. I'm thinking it could be the throwout bearings because when I barely push in clutch pedal it makes a weird sound. Kinda like a rattling sound. Hard to explain. Any and all help would be appreciated. I know a little about mechanic work and do most of my own with the tools I have but transmissions and clutches I am not so familiar with. I'm trying to diagnose this myself before I'm forced to take it to the shop and I have to trade my leg to get her running right.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Throwout bearing is the main item for rattling like that. It may be time for a clutch. It can be done at home with common hand tools and a jack but if your not up to it yes find a good place and make sure they use premium parts or ask if you can bring your choice in parts. It would be a good thing if they have worked on Jeeps, not that they are that different but it helps.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Any idea what it would cost a shop to replace a clutch?
Find out who makes the oem clutches. Get the kit (pressure plate, clutch disc, throw out bearing, alignment tool, I think that's it) and do it yourself. Save some money and figure out how its done. Not a hard job if u have a jack and a friend.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As was said, replacing the clutch isn't too bad (except those top 2 bolts) if you have time, tools, and can afford the thing being down a few days. If not, a clutch kit should be around $200 or less for a stock type of replacement which is fine for a stock Jeep. Labor would be likely 4-5 hours for a shop with a lift and all power tools to do, given no rust issues to deal with. Shop rates can vary by area, so that cost is unknown for those hours.

I need to replace my clutch for similar reasons, shifting is inconsistently rough at times for no reason, with a new slave and master setup as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts