Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
understand that the idea of an engine as an air pump ,,more air in some restriction out ( back pressure). is there a kit for a high flow air cleaner and a tunable exhaust system that meets epa standards .. lean 12/1 want 13.5/1 air fuel mix
I ride a 03 flhcui a phase 1 set up put a screaming eagle high flow air cleaner and a 2/1 white bro exhaust with head quarters cams.. sweet setup dynode 86 hp 84 tor.
bike runs no cat not required Illinois
what can I get away with high flow air cleaner & exhuast sytem , no cam set up jeep under warentee

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Just like with your HD, depending on the year of your JK it might be best to go newer,

I had a few FLHTCU's over the years, first was a 1998 and the last one was a 2009... Some screamin eagle and some stock. My 09 stock was much quicker vs the 07 wth stage 1. Now I have a Buell with a rotax power plant, no comparison :) it's just not comfortable :(

Even with lots of $$$ spent on the HD it's still slow, same is true with the jeep. Going from 3.8L to 3.6L is a huge step up in power. If you already have the 3.6L then add boost

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a 2016 wranger sport 2dr 3.73 6 speed manual

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3.6 penstar

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not going crasy on tire just ordered 265/75 16 dick cep extreme ,,, 16/8
ar172 baja 16/8 rims just would like the engine to breathe

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats a boost ??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yo bro disoincome love your answer yea if I had disposable income id get a hemi lmao

·
Registered
509 Posts
You won't notice any real gains with exhaust or intake. Both systems are pretty well optimized as they sit. You might try a tuner, as disposableincome said. Try Extreme Terrain or Quadratech. Both sell tuners with various stages of tune. You could probably even talk to the tuner people directly and customize what you want.

By the way, why do you want to increase hp and torque? Are you planning on racing? I've never been in a situation off-road where I needed more hp or torque...The stock setup has plenty of power. Once you start increasing engine output, you'll need to really beef up the drivetrain and axles to handle the extra power. The money flowing out of your pocket will really speed up then!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
By the way, why do you want to increase hp and torque? ...
I've never been in a situation off-road where I needed more hp or torque.
I agree that there's really no "need' for more power off road. Gear the axles properly for the size tire you have, and make use of 4LO and low transmission gears as necessary for plenty of torque multiplication (don't be afraid to use the mid-to-upper RPM range up hills and over obstacles).

More power makes a Jeep more enjoyable on the street. Accelerating onto freeways, passing other cars quickly/safely at highway speeds, etc. It's also just ridiculously fun to drive a Wrangler that can accelerate as quick or quicker than most stock muscle cars (Mustang GT, 6.4 Hemi CHarger/Challenger, etc).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool videos
i was interested with pepping up the engine to its max being stock. with a few mods . it be great to have the boost and all but for me unrealistic for what i will be useing it for
great ideas thanks

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
RIP english

Gears are the most cost effective way to increase performance IMHO.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I ride a 03 flhcui a phase 1 set up put a screaming eagle high flow air cleaner and a 2/1 white bro exhaust with head quarters cams.. sweet setup dynode 86 hp 84 tor.
My mostly stock '01 883 sporty makes more HP than that, and it is 1/3 the weight...
90hp/75tq (well, it does have a few minor 'bolt on's" stage 1ish sort of... some Buell bits...)
but anyway, HD engines are not super efficient from the factory... really they have more in common with lawn tractors... it is fairly easy to get 20-30HP more out of them...
and since they start so low on the HP to begin with, that 20-30HP is fairly noticeable... the fact that even the FLH's weight much less than a JK/JKU doesn't hurt either

what can I get away with high flow air cleaner & exhuast sytem , no cam set up jeep under warentee
cool videos
i was interested with pepping up the engine to its max being stock. with a few mods . it be great to have the boost and all but for me unrealistic for what i will be useing it for
great ideas thanks
the jeep Pentastar is a modern engine that is already fairly well optimized from the factory, you will be lucky to get an additional 30HP, and since you are already starting at 285hp and the jeep literally weights over 2 tons... you will never even notice that 30HP...
so, if you really want to do something you can enjoy, you need to do something substantial, either boost or much more displacement... or better yet, BOTH :)

Now I have a Buell with a rotax power plant, no comparison :)
true... my previous Buell 1125R could easily out run, out turn out every thing my sporty... and my current ebr 1990rx is even faster than the 1125...
but I still like my sporty... nostalgia... last of the "True" HD's ie engine mounted securely to the frame, non of those silly rubber motor mounts... (note the previous "true" is truly all subjective, all depends entirely on how you feel a particular day about a particular subject)

it's just not comfortable :(
the Buells/ebr's aren't all bad...
well, they aren't that bad...
depends on the length of the ride a bit I guess...
ok, so maybe they are no FLH...
or FXS now that I think about it...
or XLH even...
well, they mostly are not that bad on a good day?
sometimes?
anyway, ride with a smile, that makes the pain go away...

·
Registered
936 Posts
By the way, why do you want to increase hp and torque?
that there is just unAmerican....
goes against the principles that America was founded on...
why wouldn't anyone want more?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Love to see pics of your EBR 1190, do you modify that at all or your 1125r?

I can't decide if I should do a tune and exhaust? And yes that extra 40HP has to be fun

I was looking at one yesterday, if I recall 1190 SX

·
Registered
936 Posts
Love to see pics of your EBR 1190, do you modify that at all or your 1125r?

I can't decide if I should do a tune and exhaust? And yes that extra 40HP has to be fun

I was looking at one yesterday, if I recall 1190 SX
I do have a pic... not a good pic... kinda blurry...

haven't done much with the EBR as out of the box it is everything I loved about the 1125R, just more...
removed the 2nd muffler just because it looked odd and very non buell like...
added the race ECM to make up for the lack of the 2nd muffler...
but other than that it is stock...

just a fwiw, if you ever do decide to get one, the "Galactic Black" looks assume in the show room... BUT... out in the sun/real world, it kind of looks more like a poop brown... sometimes with a hint of baby poop brown thrown in for good measure...

·
Registered
936 Posts
More wheel spin on obstacles with a bunch of hp=traction shocking an axle. Gearing above power.
that is more a matter of control/torque application, that could be addressed as needed...

but yes, in the real world where 99.9% of us can't afford boosted big block power, gears work wonderfully...

although asking why someone would want more HP is still just wrong... so very wrong...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts