Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just invested a butt load of $$$ in upgrading my jeep. I went all MetalCloak: 3.5" long travel short arm ARB, front and rear bumpers, full Overline 6", and skids front to back. I have been running stock Moab's with Toyo Open Country A/T in 265/75/16's which are going to look ridiculous once the lift is installed and all the swag is in place. So here is my "problem", I have been looking at wheels ranging from the Fuel Anza D116's, Interco Birddog, Method, MTZ, and Mammoth. To Beadlock traditional, B.A.D., or go Coyote??? Also was thinking now would be a great time to increase the wheel size to 17 or 18 to make/have a little extra room for the brake upgrade that is happening. I am looking to go up in tire size to at least 33 if not 35, not bigger as I don't have the cash to re-gear at this point and my lift won't really accommodate a bigger tire.

I know this has probably been asked and answered a few dozen, hundred times and I have cruised the tire and wheel section here and across the inter webs so I come to you hat in hand....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Read through your first post and never really saw a question :)

When I was wheel/tire shopping (still kinda am, mostly trying to choose who to buy from) my local shop said go 18-20in, said the 17's look horrible and you need to show off the wheel not the tires.

Those statements turned me off to buying from him......

As you mentioned larger wheels allows more brake clearance and possibly different tire options. I would expect most brake upgrades should clear 17's. Myself I went with a rock Krawler 3.5X and will run 35's due to personally feeling anything smaller looks weird with that much lift. 35/18's cost $100 or so more vs 35/17's and the benefit is almost non existent between from a performance standpoint. If anything one could argue 18's will perform worse than 17's in just about every category especially off-road.

For me beadlocks are a complete waste since I don't wheel like some of you crazy people do :)

Getting the proper backspacing is more important then wheel size :)

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
18" tire options limited, more costly

For 17" wheels upgraded brake system caliper-to-inner wheel diameters are close but generally work. Check the current posts and photos on WF.

This is not intuitive ---> Before you chose a rim diameter be sure to research the tires types/designs available in that size and their prices.

I believe you'll find more Jeep-suitable tire choices with the 17" wheels, less with 18" currently. There are a lot of affordable truck tires in the 16" rim size but the aftermarket caliper clearance you seek is lacking. Jeep JK Saharas have 18" wheels and limits tire choice.

Generally mainstream/popular tire sizes are less expensive than obscure sizes. Also easier if you need to replace one of your current tire set.

I'd avoid large wheels and low-profile tire combos - you have less time to make it to the side of the road if you have tire failure and risk damaging the costly rim too. This holds for Jeeps, trucks, and autos.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read through your first post and never really saw a question :)

When I was wheel/tire shopping (still kinda am, mostly trying to choose who to buy from) my local shop said go 18-20in, said the 17's look horrible and you need to show off the wheel not the tires.

Those statements turned me off to buying from him......

As you mentioned larger wheels allows more brake clearance and possibly different tire options. I would expect most brake upgrades should clear 17's. Myself I went with a rock Krawler 3.5X and will run 35's due to personally feeling anything smaller looks weird with that much lift. 35/18's cost $100 or so more vs 35/17's and the benefit is almost non existent between from a performance standpoint. If anything one could argue 18's will perform worse than 17's in just about every category especially off-road.

For me beadlocks are a complete waste since I don't wheel like some of you crazy people do :)

Getting the proper backspacing is more important then wheel size :)
Apologies, I tend to go on tangents sometimes . . .ok a lot of the time. Thank you for the input. I thought that I found some great rims that seem to check all of the boxes to only find that the backspacing was ridiculous or would require an adaptor to mount. Definitely not looking to go that route. Definitely not going to be looking at 18's anymore.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For 17" wheels upgraded brake system caliper-to-inner wheel diameters are close but generally work. Check the current posts and photos on WF.

This is not intuitive ---> Before you chose a rim diameter be sure to research the tires types/designs available in that size and their prices.

I believe you'll find more Jeep-suitable tire choices with the 17" wheels, less with 18" currently. There are a lot of affordable truck tires in the 16" rim size but the aftermarket caliper clearance you seek is lacking. Jeep JK Saharas have 18" wheels and limits tire choice.

Generally mainstream/popular tire sizes are less expensive than obscure sizes. Also easier if you need to replace one of your current tire set.

I'd avoid large wheels and low-profile tire combos - you have less time to make it to the side of the road if you have tire failure and risk damaging the costly rim too. This holds for Jeeps, trucks, and autos.
Thank you for your response. Definitely not going with a low profile set-up. I have found what you said to be true in regards to tire size and style availability. I have seen some great looking tires to learn that they don't come sized for a 17" wheel or they are lacking the width and height I am looking for or their side wall rating is an E or better, hoping to find something I like with a C or D sidewall that doesn't brake (little wheel/tire/brake pun) the bank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts