Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eventually i want independent suspension front and rear on my tj. i know this is very expensive and i have no immediate goals to do this but i was wondering if there are any companies that have products for a system like that. so far all i found is this:

Creative Motor Sports

uber expensive, also dont really want all the automatic junk thats with that system. looking more for a baja jeep type thing. please no lectures on how solid axle is better and sturdier etc, this is for many years down the road

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
i prefer high speed driving to creeping over stuff and this seems to be the ultimate solution. not the cms stuff , but independent suspension in general
Sounds like you bought the wrong vehicle then. Sell your Jeep and buy something with IFS for your racing needs. Converting a Jeep to IFS/IRS would be like owning a Porsche and wanting to take out its IFS/IRS and convert to solid axles to turn it into a rock crawler. Possible but most people would consider doing either as a pretty questionable thing to do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Build a Baja truck then.
why not a baja jeep?

I agree with this. Sell the TJ, build an IFS/IRS truggy. Put TJ skins on it if you like the TJ look.
not going to sell the tj, if anything i'll buy something else in addition to what i already have. not saying i dont like the jeep, just exploring possibilities for down the road. thing only has 45k miles on it, not gonna rip it apart this early in the game

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
why not a baja jeep?
If you have been paying attention to true Baja racers, you'll notice none run Wranglers, they all run longer wheelbase vehicles. A short-wheelbase Wrangler would be an extremely poor/unsafe choice for Baja-style racing, short wheelbase vehicles are not stable enough for that type application.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have been paying attention to true Baja racers, you'll notice none run Wranglers, they all run longer wheelbase vehicles. A short-wheelbase Wrangler would be an extremely poor/unsafe choice for Baja-style racing, short wheelbase vehicles are not stable enough for that type application.
i would like to point out that a VW beetle has a wheelbase which is only 1.1 inches longer than a tj and people take those to baja all the time. also the word truggy is derivative of truck and buggy, buggy being directly derived from bug (VW). since i'm straying from my original question, i can point out that the beetles are modified ofc and go slower than the trophy trucks. i'm only saying that a jeep could finish baja, prolly looking better that a beetle and in better shape and maybe faster. ofc you'd have to modify it, which brings me back to the original question, anyone know of companies who make IFS/IRS for jeeps besides the the one i mentioned?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep and VW beetles are the vehicles of choice for Baja racing. :rofl:
maybe not now, but originally it was and baja has been won with a vw roughly 1/4 of the time albeit most victories were in the beginning. a trophy truck is a relatively new concept. also just to finish baja is a huge victory and i think a jeep has a much better chance than a vw

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
old school VW bugs have been quite successful in desert racing...but compared to a TJ, they have a much lower center of gravity, lighter weight and some even have extended wheelbases.
true, but they are less durable, less powerful, and mechanically inferior (i used to have a 73, i know). i'm not saying lets go bombing through baja at 90 over 3ft obstacles like the trucks do. i'm saying you could complete baja with a stock jeep np, or mod one and go a little faster, or heavily mod one and go alot faster

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
true, but they are less durable, less powerful, and mechanically inferior (i used to have a 73, i know). i'm not saying lets go bombing through baja at 90 over 3ft obstacles like the trucks do. i'm saying you could complete baja with a stock jeep np, or mod one and go a little faster, or heavily mod one and go alot faster
my dad had 3 bugs, and based on his stories, I'm not so sure about your less durable statement :rofl:

the closest thing to what you're talking about is not a VW Bug...its more like Parnelli Jones's Baja 1000 Bronco (winner 1971 & 1972):

It had a solid rear axle, I-beam front and is more buggy than Bronco.
http://www.bajabronco.com/BigOly.shtml

Basically, they built a truggy and put Bronco skins on it. Like I suggested above :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stock beetles dont have a full chassis. if you slammed them hard over and over like the truck above is doing, you wouldnt get far without dragging her belly on the ground (something else i know about firsthand...). the motors can be reliable with proper maintenance and the oil-cooled system is simpler (which people confuse with reliable for some reason). to me tho, that just means if your cooling fails, so does your lubrication, and vice-versa

1 - 20 of 42 Posts