Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a thread on the forums about some people who live in Indiana who don't use mirrors when they take their doors off. They never said that it was legal or illegal and that they live in less populated areas. I live in a heavily populated area north of Indianapolis and wondered if it is truly legal to drive around with no side mirrors. The Indiana law says:

A motor vehicle that is constructed or loaded so as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear from the driver's position must be equipped with a mirror located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred (200) feet to the rear of the vehicle.

It seems like just having a rear view mirror on the windshield is legal but I just want to make sure as I am a high schooler who doesn't want to pay for a ticket. Also don't talk about mirror relocation brackets because I can't get them. Don't ask why.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry if this comes off wrong, I am by far against the police hassling people doing nothing wrong. It is a big issue with me.... With that said, This is a give and take thing, Why are there countless threads with people asking the same questions? Check out your state laws, Hit Ctrl F and type in a keyword and look, honestly, A set of mud mirrors or something is 30 bucks, Throw them in when your doors are off and call it a day, It is part of the Give from the Jeepers Side. As we all know, it doesn't matter what the law is, if a cop wants to ticket you, He will.. And you can take it to court, Which 90% of people don't, Then 98% of people that do go, Lose.

Put the mirrors on, Enjoy! That makes it where you wont get pulled over for mirrors, And you can be comfortable when the 5-0 pops up behind you!

Again, don't take this the wrong way, But like I said, For the short time I have been here, There have been numerous pointless threads that turn into spam about doors and mirrors.

Hope you have a Great day today!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Sorry if this comes off wrong, I am by far against the police hassling people doing nothing wrong. It is a big issue with me.... With that said, This is a give and take thing, Why are there countless threads with people asking the same questions? Check out your state laws, Hit Ctrl F and type in a keyword and look, honestly, A set of mud mirrors or something is 30 bucks, Throw them in when your doors are off and call it a day, It is part of the Give from the Jeepers Side. As we all know, it doesn't matter what the law is, if a cop wants to ticket you, He will.. And you can take it to court, Which 90% of people don't, Then 98% of people that do go, Lose.

Put the mirrors on, Enjoy! That makes it where you wont get pulled over for mirrors, And you can be comfortable when the 5-0 pops up behind you!

Again, don't take this the wrong way, But like I said, For the short time I have been here, There have been numerous pointless threads that turn into spam about doors and mirrors.

Hope you have a Great day today!
The same goes for Chips, CAI, and Snorkels. I guess it's easier to ask than do a search but the answers are always the same.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
As long as you have ONE mirror that can see 200 feet back, you are legal in Indiana.

When I take my doors off and drop the windshield, I put a motorcycle mirror on the drivers side. Just doors off? Your rearview counts so your good as long as that is there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as you have ONE mirror that can see 200 feet back, you are legal in Indiana. When I take my doors off and drop the windshield, I put a motorcycle mirror on the drivers side. Just doors off? Your rearview counts so your good as long as that is there.
Thank you this was the answer I was looking for. Obviously the people above didn't read my original post.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't resist ... why?
Haha alright well I am a high schooler and technically since it's my moms jeep, as her name appears on the title, I have to go through my parents before putting mods on the tj. Well unfortunately my dad loves half doors, which is what I have, so he refuses to let me buy a pair of $30 dollar relocation brackets. However I have different opinions and prefer no doors. Obviously he doesn't get this. And trust me I know I like doors off more because we used to have a JKU and we took the doors off occasionally. But now since I don't need side mirrors I can take my doors off when I'm out away from my parents. I know darn teenagers not listening to their parents right? :p

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Haha alright well I am a high schooler and technically since it's my moms jeep, as her name appears on the title, I have to go through my parents before putting mods on the tj. Well unfortunately my dad loves half doors, which is what I have, so he refuses to let me buy a pair of $30 dollar relocation brackets. However I have different opinions and prefer no doors. Obviously he doesn't get this. And trust me I know I like doors off more because we used to have a JKU and we took the doors off occasionally. But now since I don't need side mirrors I can take my doors off when I'm out away from my parents. I know darn teenagers not listening to their parents right? :p
I feel ya. Parents just don't understand

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, one mirror--200 feet. I've lived in Noblesville, Carmel and Fishers throughout the time I've owned my Jeep and I've never had a mirror-related issue.
Even better answer! I live in Fishers currently.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lived in Carmel before moving to Bloomington to help open up the second Bubs Burger's. Woot woot! Those Hamilton co cops won't bother you
No way I love Bubs! Been to both Carmel and Bloomington locations and you guys have by far the best burgers around! But thanks for the reassurance. The cops in Fishers can be total a**holes about some things.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I drive all around the city of Indy and all over Indiana with no top, no doors, and no side mirrors. I have never been stopped for it and I drove 80 plus miles a day last summer and never was hassled.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
No way I love Bubs! Been to both Carmel and Bloomington locations and you guys have by far the best burgers around! But thanks for the reassurance. The cops in Fishers can be total a**holes about some things.
Used to manage bubs. I'm not with the company anymore, but the fact that I still send business their way and think of the owner as a friend speaks volumes. Great hot dogs too!!

And I've been rolling in wranglers since I was 16, in Indiana. I'm 29 now and no cop has said anything. In except the state trooper that ticketed me $184 for putting two wheels on a curb

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Used to manage bubs. I'm not with the company anymore, but the fact that I still send business their way and think of the owner as a friend speaks volumes. Great hot dogs too!!

And I've been rolling in wranglers since I was 16, in Indiana. I'm 29 now and no cop has said anything. In except the state trooper that ticketed me $184 for putting two wheels on a curb
Oh and the $5 parking ticket I got for getting my YJ stuck at 96th and hazeldell.

Yup, got my jeep stuck and was issued a $5 parking ticket. Thanks Carmel!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Used to manage bubs. I'm not with the company anymore, but the fact that I still send business their way and think of the owner as a friend speaks volumes. Great hot dogs too!! And I've been rolling in wranglers since I was 16, in Indiana. I'm 29 now and no cop has said anything. In except the state trooper that ticketed me $184 for putting two wheels on a curb[/QUOTE]
That's awesome to hear that you've had wranglers since 16. I'm pretty sure my parents are giving me the Jeep after high school so I plan on keeping it for as long as I can, hopefully until it won't drive anymore.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Love Bubs....

I'm in Fishers currently (Sandstone), as well. If you see a stretched black TJ on 37's, a red 2 door JK or a gray 14 JKU (all with IndyORV decals), make sure to wave.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts