Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone think it's safe for a car seat in a yj?

I found a bestop seat that is really nice, it's like 400$ and has head rests and looks a lot more sturdy and comfy.

I just want to make sure a car seat would be okay. I don't hardly plan on driving with him, just was curious.

Also I'm on 33s and 4" of lift?
350 v8 in it :p

Might be able to run over the smaller vehicles if I hit hard enough? lol

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
I bought my second jeep when I was 9 months pregnant it was a 95 yj. We were fine in it. I actually liked it better because I didnt have any pesky airbags to mess with me in the front seat but then I had a hard top.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you use it after the baby was born?

Can I put the car seat in the front seat? Or better in the back?

I plan on getting a hard top and doors too, just making sure this is possible.

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
I did both but I had hard top and doors. the rear seat belts work well with the carseat because I dont think they were shoulder belts but I cant remember. I never had any issue with the baby in the jeep with me. I actually had two kids in it. a 3 year old and the infant. then I had my CJ but by then neither required a car seat or booster. I wouldnt worry about it. just with the top off sometimes my kids didnt like the wind and I wouldnt put them in the back seat until its front facing so you can see how they do. I am sure there are a lot of parents on here that agree, you should be fine as long as you are a safe driver :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put my car seat in the center of the back seat . used both seat belts to strap it in cris cross .. its not goin to move..

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks! This is lighting up my day.

Her family and her are totally against me driving with the baby though.
Yet I can haul him around in her little honda that would probably crumple in an accident.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
I had to give up my baby with kids. :( But I got back in a bigger and better girl now. :)

But, suggestion: Any local Fire Department will help make sure the car seat is safe and properly installed for you. They have seen what is safe and what is not on the other end of things. Might not hurt to get them to look to ease your mind.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to give up my baby with kids. :( But I got back in a bigger and better girl now. :)

But, suggestion: Any local Fire Department will help make sure the car seat is safe and properly installed for you. They have seen what is safe and what is not on the other end of things. Might not hurt to get them to look to ease your mind.
Good idea, will need to do the asap then :)

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
BTW...Congrats on the new addition! Bring he/she up jeeper style. :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
the back seat is fine, i've had my kid back there no problem. i've also had him in the front, but thats in a front facing seat.

btw, dont ask the wife if you can take the doors off with the kid in the front seat....she'll get mad. ask me how i know :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, making me more happy :)

Also not sure why it didn't post earlier so hope it don't double...

I already got him some jeep onsies and offroad things.
His first vehicle will probably be an xj then upgrade to a wrangler.

But who knows, as times change prices go down, when hes older he will probably be getting a 2015 wrangler :p

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the back seat is fine, i've had my kid back there no problem. i've also had him in the front, but thats in a front facing seat.

btw, dont ask the wife if you can take the doors off with the kid in the front seat....she'll get mad. ask me how i know :)
I don't have doors yet, so :(

I'm trying to afford some doors/top

Sadly I bought my first wrangler not knowing the top/doors would be worth so much. I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't have doors yet, so :(

I'm trying to afford some doors/top

Sadly I bought my first wrangler not knowing the top/doors would be worth so much. I'll figure something out.
well if you need them, i have a spare set of sliding upper half doors we could work out a good deal on.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well if you need them, i have a spare set of sliding upper half doors we could work out a good deal on.....
Well I think I found some half doors on ebay for 280, so might be getting them if no one in my area posts some cheaper on CL.

Sliders are for the hard bottoms right? And they have the sliding window instead of the zipper?

Definitely let me know about them, am definitely interested. Now just for a top.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The thing is, you can be in the safest vehicle on earth, but when the man upstairs says it's your time, well, it's your time. The only gripe my wife had was that she didn't like the lap belts in our YJ, so this winter I'm building a harness bar in the back for the kids!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The thing is, you can be in the safest vehicle on earth, but when the man upstairs says it's your time, well, it's your time. The only gripe my wife had was that she didn't like the lap belts in our YJ, so this winter I'm building a harness bar in the back for the kids!

yea, I was thinking of upgrading the seat, the stock one looks flimsy and think thats why my girlfriend has a problem. I told her atleast I had a rollbar :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Beefmobile, I he doesnt want the sliders and they are in goog shape can you put me in line for them. I would like some on my 94 YJ. Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I pm'd them about them already, waiting on reply.

Also I think the reason for the offer was my situation, think if he was wanting to get rid of them too bad he would of posted them in the for-sale section.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The only gripe my wife had was that she didn't like the lap belts in our YJ, so this winter I'm building a harness bar in the back for the kids!
HOW?
I have a 2001 wrangler i need to make more kid friendly. Explain this harness bar and since I cant do it (having no experience and carrying a purse) how much would I need to have it done? THANKS

1 - 20 of 56 Posts