Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2017 jeep wrangler(23k bucks, 28k miles base model with ac,hard top and auto trans) and it has just regular key. no key fobs or alarm system.
My question is can I just get a new key cut? or do I need to go to dealer to get key blanks? the key I got with jeep is grey..thanks

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
Our '16 had the base key without alarm. To my knowledge all keys have the Sentry Key embedded chip, even the ones without the keyless entry FOB.

Page 25 and 26 of your 2017 owners manual describes the Sentry Key feature:

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you only have 1 key you will need to go to a dealer or locksmith who can program the key. If you have 2 keys, you can buy the keys and have them cut for the lock cylinder then program them yourself using the procedure in the owners manual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My local dealer want 130 for the key and cut plus 150 to program it. darn thats high

·
Registered
823 Posts
My local dealer want 130 for the key and cut plus 150 to program it. darn thats high
Blank keys with micro chip are available on amazon.
I cut mine at HD for $2
For programming as long as you have one original key you shall be able to DIY but im not sure.
At the price for the key on amazon it worth trying.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
^No. The DIY method requires 2 functional keys, one won't work. Even then it's hit and miss.

OP - Call around to various locksmiths in the area.The key can either be the trapezoidal headed key without the push buttons or the round head gray head used on the TJs. The remote lock/unlock (with alarm) is a separate module from the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM).

I have a friend with an '06 PU (used to be mine) and he had one key go bad. Rather than spend the big bucks, a local bonded locksmith (brick and mortar location) cut and programed a key for that worked - $71. He said for the difference, he would just unlock the door manually. No issue with the alarm as the '06 Ram 2500 doesn't have one. I certainly would call around, even if you had to pay $100, that's better than the $280 they quoted. $130 for a $12 key is outrageous.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered 2 blanks from amazon for 11 bucks. Going to get them cut and then shop for a dealer in another state as we will travel threw several while towing the jeep behind the motorhome this August . I bet a dealer in wyoming, montana, south dakota will be less expensive.
thanks for all replies and suggestions...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Do not have them cut unless it's by a lock smith who will also do the programming. If you insert the key to check it, the SKIF will log the chip id and lock it out. The key will then be useless.

Don't be totally surprised if the lock smith refuses to use your bargain key. The lock smith should ask for the vehicle registration and your drivers license. The DL is to see if it matches the vehicle registration. Then they have to make a call and give the VIN to get the code. Once they have the code they can cut the key and go out to the Jeep (they do need the physical Jeep) and plug in their computer to the OBDII port and go through the process.

One advantage the LS has if they make a mistake, since they are connected by their to the SKIM it does not lock out the chip id. My LS took two tries when he cut a plain chip key (no remote buttons) for my TJ (same system as on the JK). I now have three keys (original with JEEP on it, an apparent replacement with the Chrysler Pentastar on it and my new light gray key with no logo at all).

·
Registered
925 Posts
Do not have them cut unless it's by a lock smith who will also do the programming. If you insert the key to check it, the SKIF will log the chip id and lock it out. The key will then be useless.
Many thanks for this info and the subsequent explanation as well.

But now I'm a bit disappointed, because my idea was to get the key, cut & DIY-home-program it via our 2x OEM keys exaclty to save money. So if I have to go to a Lock Smith after all, it all will be quite expensive, no?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I only got one key when I bought my Jeep used, so I went to a local locksmith who is quite good and had them make me a new one. As I recall, it was under $100 for the key, so I guess it depends on what your definition of "quite expensive" actually is. I am thinking of having a third key made, and will go back to that same locksmith for it.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I definitely feel more comfortable with a third key. I did get two keys with my TJ, both of which have a definite patina on the gray head. One says JEEP so I assume that came with the Jeep, the second one has the Pentastar logo on it which I assume was made by a dealer to replace the original second key. (Only one previous owner). The key I had made over a year ago, almost two now, is a light gray with no logos on it. It was interesting to watch the locksmith make the key.

It took longer than I thought it would. I think I was there almost an hour. Part of his time was on the telephone to get the code after he gave them the VIN.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE
I ordered 2 blanks from Amazon and found a LOCKSMITH on google that said he could program both keys for 130 bucks. shoot over and in 15 min he programmed both blanks and tested them on car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts