Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Rubicon now for a month and a half and it's been a good time. I'm coming out of a 2017 JKUS with 35,000 miles that I traded. Most of my trade incentive was from the dealer. I went in for a tire rotation and came away with the Rubicon, mostly taking advantage of the great deal I got on the 2.0 turbo. My dealer (as did many others) had more than their share of the 2.0's sitting around and made me a good deal on my JK. I had been mulling over the decision to get some additional warranty on the JK and also dreading the thought of soon needing another set of tires. The dealer shot me a price on the Rubicon that was nearly 10 grand off the MSRP. I took it for a ride (I'd not driven the 2.0 up to that point) and bought it on the spot. Picked it up the next day.
The Rubicon is well-equipped but needed a hitch and wiring (I tow a teardrop trailer everywhere) so I quickly added my old JK hitch and purchased a Mopar 7-way harness. I have been amazed at how well the JL does with trailer in tow. It is, in every way, better equipped for my trailer than the JK was. Granted, the JK sport had 3.73 gears and the 5 speed. It was bulletproof the whole time I owned it with many cross-country trips under its belt-line. I had not a bit of trouble with it (so long as one can afford to spoon on a windshield every 6 weeks or so) and had no real thought to getting rid of it.
But the JL is a better vehicle by every measure of the tape. It rides better, steers straighter, gets better mileage (by a lot) and has more "usable" power. I won't argue the torque/horsepower specs with anyone. You can quote numbers to me till the cows come home, but what matters to me is not "how much?", but "where" is the power. The 2.0 has much more usable power down low in the band where I want it. It's perfectly happy bumping along at 1800 rpms with trailer in tow in 8th gear.
The 8 speed transmission is, in my humble opinion, along with the 4.10 gears, mainly responsible for making things much more comfortable. The tranny is seamless and shifts without so much as a whimper. When it needs to, it does, quietly and quickly. When it needs to shift back up, it does that too. The JK 5 speed auto needed a young priest and an old priest to coax it out of 5th gear and once downshifted, needed the same help to get it to shift back up. I mostly drove that one in manual mode. Couldn't stand the recalcitrant shifting.
I have carefully migrated all of my swag across from the JK to the JL and things are working fine. I use an electric brake controller for the trailer and after much research, worked up a setup for making that work that has, thus far, been fine with no codes or mis-behavior. Likewise, I added an overhead console with my CB and switches for my driving lights and interior dome lights etc and that is working well too. Since I didn't get the tow package, my Rubicon didn't come with the aux switches. Problem solved for much less than the $375 retail for the aux Mopar switches.
Leather seats. Nuff said. Love-em.
I removed the center rear-view mirror as it took up too much real estate in the windshield. As it turns out, it just snaps in and out. No tools required. Nice and well thought out. Cudo's to whoever came up with that one.
The new soft top (My JK was also a factory softtop) is incredible. It's functional, easy to use, goes up and down with no problems and is (IMHO) much better looking than the old one. I love it.
Rubicon High Fenders. Just do it. Do it now! They are awesome.
Thing's I don't care for:
It's black. sigh..... WE, the financially declined, can't be too choosy. I'd rather have had just about any color, but that's the one they made me the offer on. I didn't think I'd ever be in a position to own a Rubicon, so the color is a first-world-problem. So be it.
The Rubicon fenders have a pretty deep groove between the top of the fender and body that likes to collect bits of debris. That's been discussed elsewhere. I'll work that out in time.
The comically complex heater control is the new automobile norm, but is one of the very few things about any new vehicle that makes me pine for older/simpler times. The first 2 weeks I owned it I was about to come to the conclusion that it only had 2 settings: 150 degrees or 50 degrees. After taking a few weekend night courses at the local tech college, I can now get it to (mostly) stay in a range that some might consider comfortable. I was getting to the point of just putting it on defrost and using the side windows to adjust the temp. I've got it a little better now, but only just a little.

A few things I don't get about Jeep owners and their concerns:
This is strictly a "Me" thing. Like underwear, everybody should be able to pick their own.
First:
I don't get the running and screaming/circling the wagons about the ESS. For me, it's mostly invisible.....as in, I don't notice it. Don't really understand what the deal is. I have, a couple times, gotten into traffic situations where I was creeping forward just slow enough to make it noticeable. In those situations, I stretched, strained and yoga'd my right index finger over to where I could poke the "A" button in. That solved the problem each time. Gotta say, I just don't get the road rage over that one.
FCA:
My disclaimer: I've been an ardent, rabid, in the face fan of Fiat since the 70's. Sure they made some sketchy electrical systems. Perhaps no one here remembers that EVERYONE ELSE was also making crappy, junky, unreliable electrical systems too. I remember. I started my love affair with Fiat when I was living in Germany the first time (military service) and was hanging around a bunch of American and German stock car racing fruitcakes. A friend of mine and I campaigned (for 3 years) a 65 VW beetle with a Fiat 124 Spider engine on the back. Looking back, I'm mostly surprised we weren't killed and/or created an international incident with our antics, but the one thing I'll say is the little Fiat engines were bulletproof. Since then, I've had:
2 X19's
1 124 Spider
a few Fiat 500's (Euro-spec)
a new American spec Fiat 500 Abarth Turbo
a sackfull of various Fiat engines that I spooned into bizarre creations including a Porsche 917 replica behind a VW bus transmission.
All of them were more fun than is probably legal. I had no problems with any of them.
Sketchy electronics? Sometimes. My 1987 Bertone X19 wouldn't allow using the rear window defroster and windshield wipers at the same time without blowing a fuse. The fix? (as explained to me by the German mechanic) "Don't use both at once". I have to admit, it was a simple fix that solved the problem.
I'm a retired Army Warrant Officer and worked for years post-service in the auto industry as a mechanic. Nobody is going to tell me that any of the other manufacturers were/are any different. Teething problems? yes. Different? No. I'm mostly a wait-and-see'r when it comes to automotive tech but thus far, I'm a happy owner.
I have a few more things I want to do but my Jeep is mostly going to stay the way it is. I like the tire size and when it's time for new ones, I'll probably go straight to my favorite tire; Cooper AT-3's in 285/75/17. I may put a bit of lift on it with a spacer kit but I'm terrified of changing the ride/drive characteristics. I really am happy with the way it drives and rides. I don't want to meddle with it much. I have the 7" radio and like it very much. I had put a Seicane 10" head unit in the JK and absolutely loved it for many reasons I won't post here, but the 7" in the Rubicon does everything I need and works well mirroring GPS into the head unit from my phone so I'm probably going to stick with it. I have also added a new front bumper/winch combo but want to keep the weight off so I'm sticking with the stock milk-jug rear bumper. The fenders are perfect for me and I see no need to change them.
We'll see how it goes from here.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Congrats. I have the same spec basically and couldn’t agree more. It’s been nothing but a pleasure and I’ve had zero issues. We are the huge silent majority.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have an altitude with the 2.0 and I really like that power plant and the 25mpg average on a wrangler that I'm getting is truly impressive! My only regret is not for forking up the extra 10K for a Rubicon!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
We had a JLUS for two weeks as a loaner. The 2.0T was very responsive and the interior upgrades are nice, especially for the back seat riders. I, too, found the climate controls clunky but the wife liked them. We’ll get her a JLUR when the time is right.

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
That’s good to hear.

As I look at JLs, I see a ton of 2018 and 2019 2.0s out there heavily discounted.

I may have to try one out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts