Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 JKUR
What are inner axle seal guides?!?!

I’m replacing inner axle seals and found the part on mopar parts diagram. It’s not the outer “slinger”....

Just wondering.

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
they are guides that help your axle shaft go thru the seal without damaging it. helps center it. make sure they come out when pulling your axle shaft or they will ruin your seal if they are left I the tube and get pushed into the seal

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Many people remove the guides and toss them. IMO, you should use them. As jadmt pointed out, they center your axle shaft in the tube as you install them, helping the shaft go into the center of the oil seal without damaging the seal. If you are using the newer style 'cartidge' oil seal, then your chances of damaging the seal are less likely than the regular style lip seal. Either way it is much safer to use the axle guides.

Before installing the shafts, inspect the splined areas of the axle shafts for any sharp edges. I hit the corners of the splines with some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and then cleaned really well. Apply grease liberally to the splined area and a thin coat on the area where the seal will ride. Also make sure to grease the lip area of the seal itself. As the splined end of the axle shaft enters the seal, rotate the shaft as you are installing it. This will give your seals the best chance at not being damaged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts