Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the point of having very little liner material left to duct tape together on both rear wheel wells. What's the down side of just not having any liners at all, other then water splashing on the underbody. I've looked for replacements, but they're not a very popular item.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Rocks chip the paint of and then rust sets in and rots holes though the side of the fender seams. It's not a good idea to not run them i would patch them up as best as you can or have some line-x sprayed inside of the fenders or the tub will end up with the infamous rust line down the side.

Reactions: wannabebob

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you tried contacting Sgt Jeep in Rosamond Calif? He gets a lot of different jeeps in from crashes, and has a lot of odd stuff around too.
Sgt Jeep, 60th and Ave."A", Rosamond, CA. 93560
He is also on FB and has a site there

·
Registered
532 Posts
Noise from rocks hitting the metal body, chips in paint, maybe a rock into the wiring for the tail lights. The drivers side is open to rocks taking out fuel lines. Rust? Under coat it every year after ya pressure wash out the road crud. if their like mine the many holes and missing chunks allow mud to accumulate in places you can wash out or see. I look at it this way, CJ's never had them and their just more plastic junk to fall apart and waste more money on later. Get some sheet metal and bend up a couple guards for the areas to protect and be done with it.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
I don't know of any new aftermarket fender liners available anywhere. In all likelyhood, the New Old Stock (NOS) OE fender liners are sold out long ago.
A visit to your local Jeep dealership and asking a friendly parts counterperson to do a nationwide search for liners that'll fit your Jeep might be worthwhile.
An EBAY or Amazon search might bring up some results. Any used parts you find will be at least 25 years old. The liners in my old heap are probably original, and with a build date of 04/11/86 are almost 34 years old. Mine are still in good condition. With that in mind, searching for used liners might prove fruitful.

If your Jeep is primarily a daily driver, I'd spend the time looking for a set of used liners. If your Jeep sees hard use (mud, rocks) I'd simply do as 8thtimer suggests and make up some metal shields to protect the vulnerable plumbing. Plus, I'd clean and scrub the inside fender wells and give them a good coat of bedliner.

As far as commercially sprayed in bed liner goes, I prefer the "oatmeal" textured bed liner rather than the "sharp" textured bed liner. The oatmeal style doesn't hold dirt like the sharp pointed style does and it's easier to clean. I think the commercially sprayed bed liner holds up better than the owner applied bed liner and for the cost difference and convenience, that's what I'd do.

If you want to try to locate new OE parts, the old part numbers that may still be valid or may have updated (your friendly parts counterparson can tell you) are:

5500 9590 Fender Liner
5500 9501 Fender Liner
5500 9592 Shield
5500 9593 Shield
3420 1631 Rivet

The last digit (9590 9591) denotes left or right part. I don't know which are which. Again, your friendly counterperson can advise.

You can search the net using the old numbers by deleting the space between the first four group of numbers and the second group of numbers (IE search 55009590) or if the old number updates, be sure to search with the new number too.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everybody, did find a pair at a local junkyard, but he wanted a hundred bucks, made some out of old thick rubber welcome mats

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
$100 bucks for the pair? You probably would have gotten them for $80 for OEM. Looks like a deal to me, better than welcome mats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I figured the junk yard ones were probably as old as the ones that I already had, so they'd be falling apart soon also. The Southern California sun disintegrates anything plastic. Mats were free and seem to serve the purpose. If they fall apart, I'll go with some sheet metal, especially around the fuel and brake lines.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,950 Posts
Another poster (IRQ) had some done for the underside of his engine bay. The company did a pretty good job of duplicating the OEM one, and the price was what I thought to be pretty reasonable. I am not positive but I think he did up the rear wheel wells too. Look up IRQ's posts from about a year ago and you will find the thread that will have the company that did them and you can get in touch with them.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Actually I'm thinking my freebie fix is quite spiffy. We'll see how long it lasts before I go sheet metal.

You only lined one side of the inner fender? That will just trap dirt and moisture and does nothing for the top of the fender and the pinch seam where the wheel well is spot welded to the side panel where the rust will form first. If you want to preserve the metal take it and have it Line-x'd heavily.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I do have more welcome mats, lots of duct tape and maybe a few squirts of Phil Swift's Flex seal.....lol.

No seriously, Thank you for the advice.

I just spent lots on new seats, a new top, a new windshield frame, steering wheel, fender flares, and recently a two way "dash cam" rear view mirror, with 24 hour recording, because some snot nosed A'hole (I live close to a high school and they walk by it every day) slashed one of my new windows, and now I need a new door skin. BTW: LOVE the mirror, FANTASIC toy. So, I'm trying to pinch pennies...how much does LineX cost?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just found 3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating on Amazon for $14. I think I'll remove my welcome mat, carefully spray that stuff all over the wheel well, then put the mat back on. It's almost 30 years old and hasn't rusted through anywhere yet...knock wood. The windshield frame rusted, but that's about it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
rubberized undercoating is garbage i hope you don't live in the rust belt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts