Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at the point now where I will be selecting new tires. I put on a 3.25" lift and installed wheel spacers for a wider stance. But I'm running the stock tires and they don't look very good with the lift.

What I'm hoping for is to get some input and suggestions on what tires would suit me best.

I do plan to go off-road not as much as I'd like too but probably a few times a year, I live in MD and that means I will have to drive a few hours to go anywhere to wheel. Most likely I will go up to Rausch Creek and I have been there one time before with my lifted WK and I had 32" aired down Terra Grapplers under it, I did Greens and Power-line trails pretty easily for anyone who is familiar with the park.

With my JKU I drive ~15 miles a day for work round trip I might move further away once we buy a house but that's another story, I don't mind tire hum so that's a non issue but I'm just wondering if a nice aggressive A/T would be better then a mega cleat M/T... I have a 2012 6 spd w/ 3:73's

Now with that info out of the way here's my dilemma, Do I get A/T tires or M/T tires?

I will go with either 315/70/17's or bump up to 35x12.50's I've been eying up M/T's because it gives the aggressive look that we all love but I'm just beating myself up over which to get. :banghead:

please post up some input with any personal experience and lets see where this goes..

Thanks in advance - Drew

·
Registered
483 Posts
In my opinion, a 4x4 needs mud tires. But I do see the need for at's. If your winters are bad, most all terrains do better because of sipes. Same as in rain. That being said I usually run mud tires on all my 4wd vehicles and havent had any problems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In my opinion, a 4x4 needs mud tires. But I do see the need for at's. If your winters are bad, most all terrains do better because of sipes. Same as in rain. That being said I usually run mud tires on all my 4wd vehicles and havent had any problems.
+1
Can you buy both? Use the at's for daily use and the mt's for wheeling it.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I start the song...most everyone sings the praises of Duratracs...after 3 sets of BFG ATs I switched to Duratracs...wished I had switched sooner!!! IMO you should run an AT ....your driving/ use of your Jeep is exactly what they were designed for.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
The only time MT tires will ever help you is A) slippery mud B) deep snow. Any other terrain you're going to get better results from an AT tire. That includes rocks, dirt, pavement, rainy weather, light snow, everything.

I like the Duratrac because it has the MT look without all the negative side effects of running a real MT tire.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thanks for all the quick replies, I love the the look of M/T's but they come with cons that I'm not sure I want. I have been browsing at some of the A/T's out (procomp, Maxxis, & Falken) and some of the cheaper M/T's (again Procomp is one and some others)

I'll be honest money is kinda tight but I want to get something that will be right for my use. I was thinking a A/T would be better from the get go but the M/T look so cool lol.

Thanks for the input so far I'll keep researching and following this thread.

Also the Duratracs are a option but @ $324 each its a little steep, and they are only available in 315's and not in 35's and seem to be reviewed with having a soft sidewall...

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone give me some input on:

Maxxis bighorn M/T's

or

Pro Comp Radial M/T's

Bot are pretty affordable for M/t's but if they are to be stayed away from I will dig a little deeper and look at some 35" A/T's

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Look at the Kelly safari tsr. They are made by good year and are almost exactly the duratrac. They are much cheaper tho. I'm sure that will be very close to your price range

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have the Duratracs and really like them, but you're right about the size. Have you considered the Cooper Discoverer Radial STT it has very good road manners, has the look you're going for, is great off road and comes in a 35X1250R17LT size for $310 each at Discounttiredirect.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like those Kelly TSR's I found them for around $235 each for a 315/70 gotta see if I can actually get them for that price but thanks for the info on those.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
When I was looking for tires to buy, I did alot of walking up and asking people about thier tires. and researching of reviews on Tirerack and Offroaders.com Source for 4x4 off-road trail reports, tech articles, 4x4 clubs, Product Reviews . Many of the people I talked to said the Maxxis Big Horn, was a great tire in all aspects, except driving in heavy rain on road. said it would pull the wheel out of your hand if you hit a puddle. (the Duratracs don't do this, they cut right through it like a rain tire). The Cooper STT also had good reviews, and people that I spoke to, were very happy with them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
So I'm at the point now where I will be selecting new tires. I put on a 3.25" lift and installed wheel spacers for a wider stance. But I'm running the stock tires and they don't look very good with the lift.

What I'm hoping for is to get some input and suggestions on what tires would suit me best.

I do plan to go off-road not as much as I'd like too but probably a few times a year, I live in MD and that means I will have to drive a few hours to go anywhere to wheel. Most likely I will go up to Rausch Creek and I have been there one time before with my lifted WK and I had 32" aired down Terra Grapplers under it, I did Greens and Power-line trails pretty easily for anyone who is familiar with the park.

With my JKU I drive ~15 miles a day for work round trip I might move further away once we buy a house but that's another story, I don't mind tire hum so that's a non issue but I'm just wondering if a nice aggressive A/T would be better then a mega cleat M/T... I have a 2012 6 spd w/ 3:73's

Now with that info out of the way here's my dilemma, Do I get A/T tires or M/T tires?

I will go with either 315/70/17's or bump up to 35x12.50's I've been eying up M/T's because it gives the aggressive look that we all love but I'm just beating myself up over which to get. :banghead:

please post up some input with any personal experience and lets see where this goes..

Thanks in advance - Drew
You also have to take into account: MT tires are generally softer, and wear quicker. They generally are more expensive than AT tires, and they also can give your Jeep a "rougher" ride.

I, like a million other people, have BFG All-Terrains, and they are awesome! They will last you at least 75,000 miles, they have very tough side walls (I forgot the exact specifications for the side walls), and you can't go wrong with the look they give a Jeep.

Just my input!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so now I found a local Goodyear store that can get me a set of 5 of the Kelly TSR's installed "out the door" with road hazard for $1403 so that not bad!

or I could cheap out and go for a set of the treadwright guard dogs in a 315/70 and I can get 5 shipped to my door for $924

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm currently running 295/75-16 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Setup only weighs 6 lbs more than the Rubicon stock mts. Pretty quiet on the road. Handled the Orange trail at the Bad lands yesterday with no issues at all.

Assured down to 18 psi, worked out awesome.

Got 22mpg on the way home with my 4.10 gears. My only regret is not going with 315/75-16s...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow thanks for all the quick replies, I love the the look of M/T's but they come with cons that I'm not sure I want. I have been browsing at some of the A/T's out (procomp, Maxxis, & Falken) and some of the cheaper M/T's (again Procomp is one and some others)

I'll be honest money is kinda tight but I want to get something that will be right for my use. I was thinking a A/T would be better from the get go but the M/T look so cool lol.

Thanks for the input so far I'll keep researching and following this thread.

Also the Duratracs are a option but @ $324 each its a little steep, and they are only available in 315's and not in 35's and seem to be reviewed with having a soft sidewall...
I'm looking at similar tires myself. I've got MT's now and pretty much know they're not going to be good in snow or ice, so I'm looking for a AT type tire for winter.

315's are about as close to 35's as your going to get. I'm running 315/70/17 MT's

·
Registered
501 Posts
Can anyone give me some input on:

Maxxis bighorn M/T's

or

Pro Comp Radial M/T's

Bot are pretty affordable for M/t's but if they are to be stayed away from I will dig a little deeper and look at some 35" A/T's

I put the Pro Comp muds on a 2000 Dodge Ram I had. I loved those tires. It was a daily driver and work truck. At the time I was doing ranch work so I was always in the mud. They did their job well and performed good on the highway too. Not very loud and seemed to give pretty good traction in the rain for a mud tire. I'm in Central Texas so I have NO idea how they'd be in the snow or ice. We get a little every few years but not while I had that truck. I cant say what kind of milage I got out of them because I traded the truck in before the tires wore out. I think I put around 30k miles on it before I traded it and the tires looked a little better than the BFG muds I had always used before then did at about the same milage.

Like others have said though, for the kind of driving youre talking about an AT would probably suit best. I completely understand the influence that a "cool looking" tire can have on making the decision, but be realistic with yourself and do what's right for you the first time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I think I will go with an A/T so that I dont wear out a set of M/T tires running around on the highway.

I will either go with the Kelly Safari TSR ( I really like those) or I will go with a Falken A/T

It might be a little bit before pull the trigger but I think I know what direction ill go in

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Ok so now I found a local Goodyear store that can get me a set of 5 of the Kelly TSR's installed "out the door" with road hazard for $1403 so that not bad!

or I could cheap out and go for a set of the treadwright guard dogs in a 315/70 and I can get 5 shipped to my door for $924
I know this is super late, but I j/ust got TSRs w/ road hazards, tax, etc for 1300 OTD. I LOVE them so far. 285/70/17s.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts