Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been looking at getting a jeep and all I can afford is a bone stock sport if u go brand new, however I found a used 2010 Rubicon with 25k miles and all the options available for $26000 I know people like the new motors better but if I went with the used one I would be able to have a Rubicon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
327 Posts
Take that 26,000 and buy a new bone stock jeep. You will have enough left over to add plenty of mods.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What I did and have no complaints. Wanted a rubi so I got one used with low miles.
I was in the same position two months ago. Used but fully loaded 2010 Rubi unlimited or 2013 bone stock 2dr sport. I like both the 4dr and 2dr and was leaning towards the '13 sport because of the 3.6 Pentastar. I went with the used Rubi and no regrets. Plenty enough power for me as a DD.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I was in the same position two months ago. Used but fully loaded 2010 Rubi unlimited or 2013 bone stock 2dr sport. I like both the 4dr and 2dr and was leaning towards the '13 sport because of the 3.6 Pentastar. I went with the used Rubi and no regrets. Plenty enough power for me as a DD.
What kind of mileage on the '10? Got it for around $23-$24k?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hey guys, I've been looking at getting a jeep and all I can afford is a bone stock sport if u go brand new, however I found a used 2010 Rubicon with 25k miles and all the options available for $26000 I know people like the new motors better but if I went with the used one I would be able to have a Rubicon

What kind of warrantee is left on the '10? What about interest rate, usually you can get a lower rate and longer term on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well here is how I would think about it. Used rubi, nice vehicle. Good for more wheeling than most ever do. New sport, awesome vehicle. Good for more wheeling than most will ever do. I would go sport, I would rather have the new motor and still have option for better axle goodies later, than to have ok axles and a motor that I would want a lot more power from.

My decision was based on would it be cheaper to swap axles, or to try to get some decent power from the 3.8. I decided it was easier and cheaper to swap axles.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
There is no warranty left. They don't transfer, I just went thru this and wound up buying a Chrysler warranty to cover me. Even if they don't warrant some of the undercarriage parts, a new a/c is about $2600.
'

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is still under the factory warranty and I don't know about interest rates I have not talked to them seriously yet I just went and test drove it

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
07 was flawless. Only 35k with a smidge of factory warranty left.
I was on my way out to test drive a new 11 and happen to pass by this beautiful black rubicon "What's up with this guy ?" Little stunned it was an 07 but the mileage was low, stock and not wheeled. 3 hrs later it was mine. Never drove the 11.
I owned a sport for 10 years. Stock as can be with 3.07 gears. Read all the negatives on the 3.8 but I knew the rubi had 4.10's.
No way I would base my decision on engine alone like most do. Get that rubi for a good price if you can.
Save a load over a new one and have a better base to build from.

Then and now :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
It all depends on what you want to go thru. I have a 12 and love the extra horses as well as the new interior, ie.. Dash, Console, Steering wheel. If you plan on lifting and adding larger tires you can compensate with gearing, if you want to leave it stock and are concerned about gas mileage, you may want to consider the 12 or 13, the extra ponies definitely make a difference. Just keep in mind that you are the one that has to be happy with your decision. Don't think about it to hard I am sure that no matter which way you go you will be happy! It's still a jeep!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not to worried about the motor,i do like the new interior better but I can get all the options I want on the 10 that I would not be able to get on a 13 like the dual top 4.10 gears nav and leather seats

·
Registered
208 Posts
I Traded in my '10 Rubicon for a '12 JKU. I have never regretted it.

I got a really good deal on my Rubicon in the first place so I didn't lose too much on the trade.

I only had my '10 Rubicon for a year, put 12,600 miles on it.

Every time I drove it the Auto trans bugged me. We live in the hills and it was always shifting(or lack thereof) at the wrong time. The 'eco' mode made it so I nearly had to floor it sometimes to get it out of overdrive, or to downshift in general.

I now have a JKU with the 3.6, and a manual trans. I really do Like it!

I would recommend you drive both vehicles, and then decide. The 3.8 is a good, long lasting engine. If coupled with a manual tranny it would probably have been fine for me(But I also decided that I wanted a four door which helpede me decide to trade in, haven't regretted that either, although I "could" hardly stand the thought of a four door)

In your circumstance the Rubicon might be good enough, or it might drive you crazy like it did for me.

I'm hoping the Rubicon your talking about is really, really loaded. Because $26k seems kinda high. My '10 was pretty loaded, it had 12,600 miles, I got $25.5k out of it, and they put it up for sale for $26,500. (this was a year ago).

Drive them both, decide after that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is an unlimited with every option that was available, the auto trader retail value is 32000 trade in is 28000

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
is it an option to keep saving and wait?

i am waiting until february/march so i don't have to finance at all

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I will most likely end up waiting until next summer and get a 2013 but it is very tempting to get the used one so I can already have a jeep

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Eric,
I usually post on these types of threads because there's a glitch in the matrix in this forum: everybody buys their new Wranglers for, approximately, 80% off. Now, it may just be me and my New England cost of living, but the prices people claim to have paid here wouldn't fetch a bag o' poop in my neck of the woods.

That being said, we bought a '10 Islander this last July because we were able to get more than we could new for less: dual tops, upgraded audio, fun overpriced Islander package, etc. Yes, we didn't get the planet-saving-1-extra-mile- per-gallon horsepower-a-thon nor the spiffy hipster interior (he said with heavy sarcasm), but we saved around $6k and got a sweet little ride. Oh, and it'll depreciate a whole lot slower than new. Oh, and same interest rate, .9, as new.

Sounds like you love the Rubi- go to her. Go to her, and ride like the wind. RIDE, DAMN YOU, RIDE!

S

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
thinkxingu said:
Eric,
I usually post on these types of threads because there's a glitch in the matrix in this forum: everybody buys their new Wranglers for, approximately, 80% off. Now, it may just be me and my New England cost of living, but the prices people claim to have paid here wouldn't fetch a bag o' poop in my neck of the woods.

That being said, we bought a '10 Islander this last July because we were able to get more than we could new for less: dual tops, upgraded audio, fun overpriced Islander package, etc. Yes, we didn't get the planet-saving-1-extra-mile- per-gallon horsepower-a-thon nor the spiffy hipster interior (he said with heavy sarcasm), but we saved around $6k and got a sweet little ride. Oh, and it'll depreciate a whole lot slower than new. Oh, and same interest rate, .9, as new.

Sounds like you love the Rubi- go to her. Go to her, and ride like the wind. RIDE, DAMN YOU, RIDE!

S
Lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts