Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a super new product, but I have the JK1001 and am trying to consider whether or not to take advantage of their upgrade program. It's so new, that I don't see any reviews/etc. yet.

So, snowball's chance in hell, but has anyone here formed an opinion on the newer version or actually put your hands on it yet?

Thanks...

·
Registered
818 Posts
I guess marketing isn't really their thing. Super light on information on their website for a $1000+ head unit. Would be nice to see some features, screen shots, videos of it working, etc.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I guess marketing isn't really their thing. Super light on information on their website for a $1000+ head unit. Would be nice to see some features, screen shots, videos of it working, etc.

No doubt.

I have been talking with John from Insane about this unit and a need to market this better in order to justify the price tag. I am sure you've seen the YouTube but it does not show much. A good, thorough writeup of install and performance in here is much needed.

I have this PDF
http://www.insanejeepaudio.com/JK2001_electronic_flyer.pdf

heres the YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m_Wn7T_1tk

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
818 Posts
Looking online, I guess I could have checked it out at the Ontario Jeep Fest, but I never saw them. I guess if the return policy at 4 Wheel Parts is generous enough, I might give it a try.

Any idea who they are using for maps? Is it open enough that I can add Android apps that I write? Curious about a few things.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first unit (JK1001) is pretty awesome - I have it and love it. It is an Android player so you can put any Android app on it. They do include Nav software, but I also add Backcountry Navigator as well.

My question isn't really whether it's a good unit, it's whether it's worth upgrading from V1 to V2. I love V1. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
My JK2001 will arrive tomorrow. Got it for 10% off at 4WD and it came with two cameras.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My JK2001 will arrive tomorrow. Got it for 10% off at 4WD and it came with two cameras.
Nice!

Mine just showed up about an hour ago. Since I was upgrading from the JK1001, I had to send that direct to Insane Audio and wait for a return unit. The upgrade offer didn't include any cameras, but I did opt to buy the IACAM1 camera to use as a front mounted rock camera. I already had a rear mounted camera so I'm good there.

Now to go install it! :) :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
The Insane Audio head unit looks like the doppelganger of the Carjoying unit.

Are they the same head unit just rebranded with a few buttons labeled differently?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Insane Audio head unit looks like the doppelganger of the Carjoying unit.

Are they the same head unit just rebranded with a few buttons labeled differently?
No - they used the same chassis in their first version, but the HW was custom spec and the OS image was very customized. Plus the Insane Audio version has additional apps/etc. to round out the offering.

Reactions: CJREX

·
Registered
426 Posts
No - they used the same chassis in their first version, but the HW was custom spec and the OS image was very customized. Plus the Insane Audio version has additional apps/etc. to round out the offering.
I am happy to report that I just ordered a JK2001. I am told that the backorder should clear up shortly so I hope to have in a few weeks!

The Insane Unit is Waterproof, the Joying is not. IP66 Rated
The Insane NavEngine seems like a much better platform than Joying, and better suited for off-road

I am very picky about sound, so I will be looking at all aspects when I get and will produce videos for us all to see!

Reactions: Hilock

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know it's a super new product, but I have the JK1001 and am trying to consider whether or not to take advantage of their upgrade program. It's so new, that I don't see any reviews/etc. yet.

So, snowball's chance in hell, but has anyone here formed an opinion on the newer version or actually put your hands on it yet?

Thanks...
Is the upgrade program something that you can tell me about? I would love to know that if a 3001 comes out in two years that I can also upgrade...

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the upgrade program something that you can tell me about? I would love to know that if a 3001 comes out in two years that I can also upgrade...
I don't think they have a long standing upgrade policy in place. It's more likely that when they came out with the JK2001 that they foresaw the need for an upgrade program and put one in place. It is time limited (ends 6/30). I would assume (hope?) that they'd do the same in the future.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't think they have a long standing upgrade policy in place. It's more likely that when they came out with the JK2001 that they foresaw the need for an upgrade program and put one in place. It is time limited (ends 6/30). I would assume (hope?) that they'd do the same in the future.
Well, I can't wait to get this thing...

Looking forward to Having Nav without using my phone, having the ability to play video on longer trips, Installing KODI.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I can't wait to get this thing...

Looking forward to Having Nav without using my phone, having the ability to play video on longer trips, Installing KODI.
I also like BackCountry Navigator - for more detailed trail maps.

·
Registered
898 Posts
This thing looks great. Absolutely love that it fits without janky adapter pieces to fill in the sides.

But then there's that logo at the bottom of the screen...:puke:

Reactions: Hueykid

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am happy to report that I just ordered a JK2001. I am told that the backorder should clear up shortly so I hope to have in a few weeks!

The Insane Unit is Waterproof, the Joying is not. IP66 Rated
The Insane NavEngine seems like a much better platform than Joying, and better suited for off-road

I am very picky about sound, so I will be looking at all aspects when I get and will produce videos for us all to see!
I ordered mine on Monday. I received an email on Tuesday stating that it was not in stock and that it would likely be back in stock in 1-2 weeks. Later that evening, I got a ship notice! It arrived in two days.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered mine on Monday. I received an email on Tuesday stating that it was not in stock and that it would likely be back in stock in 1-2 weeks. Later that evening, I got a ship notice! It arrived in two days.
I installed mine yesterday and tested it pretty thoroughly. The only thing I have left to do is place the front camera - right now it's just sitting in my glove box.

Happy camper!

Reactions: Hilock

·
Registered
16 Posts
This thing looks great. Absolutely love that it fits without janky adapter pieces to fill in the sides.

But then there's that logo at the bottom of the screen...:puke:
Glad to see I'm not the only one. That logo is a deal breaker for me, trivial as it may seem. Looks like it belongs in some 18 year old kid's Honda Civic.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one. That logo is a deal breaker for me, trivial as it may seem. Looks like it belongs in some 18 year old kid's Honda Civic.
Same here. Specs might be great, but logo is a no go. I'm old and set in my ways, lol. I want a nice clean look.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 149 Posts