Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my driver's side door pull broke about 3/8" from the hole. For an emergency repair I ran a length of #12 wire through and wrapped around the screws. Decided to try and fix today after work.

I was going to drill a new hole and let it be a little shorter till I could get a new one. Well, in the process, the other end broke through its hole. So, time for some creative thinking.

As I was reaching into the vaccuum of my mind, my eyes lit on a roll of uni-strap. MMMM???? seemed the same width. I checked and yes it was. By lubricating inside the pull, I was able to push the uni-strap through the pull. I cut it off, ground off the sharp corners of the ends and re-installed it. Actually, it is better than new as it doesn't have the droop that it did before.

Had a little issue getting it through. Had to lock it up in the vice with about 3/4" exposed that I could push the pull onto. Then slide it out another 3/4" and repeat.

Now I can use the money I would have spent on the new pull for another upgrade. :dance:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I made these when mine broke. I wish I had made them a little bit shorter but they work well and didn't take much effort. I also made a set of matching roll bar handles all for less than 5 bucks

Attachments

Reactions: alboni34

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you like the original door pulls, there is a simple fix. Grab a pair of pliers and pull the broken metal strip out of the door pull. Go to your local hardware store and get some pipe strapping.

It fits perfectly inside the door pull. No need to drill and you will have probably 10-15 door pull repairs for a few bucks.

I have already done this to both my doors when the original metal strap broke at the screw hole like yours.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Went to run and errand and the wife broke the passenger side... So, 10 minute repair and now both have been done.
:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts