Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about a lift kit for my jk 2013, the shop I spoke to is recommending a certain lift for the jeep, my wife will drive so quality matters, I do like her. The lift is a 4 inch BDS with Fox shock upgrades, steering stabilizer, adjustable front and rear trac, stainless steel brake lines. With Mickey Thompson ATZ3 P3 tires 35x12.50 R17. Thoughts on this set up?

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/tabber02-build-err-i-mean-bolt-on-thread-389362-6.html

^^ read that. I have a love hate relationship with BDS. it's a very good lift for starters. good platform to build off of. their shocks - meh. their drop pitman arm :nonono: buy a raised front track bar bracket, and a high steer kit.

and if you're getting arms. get the flex ends. not the straight adjustables.

I wheel frequently and through trial and error I learned the true benefits to the aforementioned pieces and parts. and why the BDS stuff while good - for what I wanted my rig to do... wasn't enough.

if your wife is going to do light/moderate wheeling this is a good kit. if you're gonna be playing in the rocks. well, see my lessons learned. :happyyes: good luck!

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
This ^

4" is a lot of lift and if not done right can cause issues. Plan on driveshafts if not soon .... At some point.

The sticky link in my sig line provides lift/tire info.
all of this ^^^ :thumb: :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honestly, go with a Rubicon Express. Both the long an short arms are great. Depends on what ya wanna achieve, but the 4.5" Superflex short arm is money well spent. Do the SYE too. Easy to keep maintained and keep the hi way ride and handling. Use the duel tube shocks, stay with maintenance and it'll preform year after year.....

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Honestly, go with a Rubicon Express. Both the long an short arms are great. Depends on what ya wanna achieve, but the 4.5" Superflex short arm is money well spent. Do the SYE too. Easy to keep maintained and keep the hi way ride and handling. Use the duel tube shocks, stay with maintenance and it'll preform year after year.....
??? TJ sure. JK - no SYE.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I ran a 3" BDS lift on my rig when I first got it. I had it about 7 months before I upgraded to the RK Flex System. BDS was a decent lift. Rode a lot like a truck and kind of stiff. my Rock Krawler system is definitely smoother on the road. Never had any issues with the BDS kit though so nothing bad to say about it.. Did a trip to Red River New Mexico and Telluride CO and the kit handled everything I threw at her. However, DO NOT get a BDS steering stabilizer.. Mine blew out within 4 months. I threw on a Rubicon Express stabilizer for $35 and she drives as smooth as factory again. BDS has a good warranty but with their springs and the Fox shocks its going to be a pretty stiff ride for the wife.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Why do you want 4" for 35s?
some folks are into all that clearance. gives you a lot more room on the trail! with the right arms... and bumpstop set up... you could seriously stuff some fenders.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is my wife's 2013 jkur.
3" bds lift w/fox shocks, f/r bds adjustable track bars, AEV geo brackets, 1.75" synergy wheel spacers, and 35/12.50/17's

View attachment 696409

This jeep is, my wife's dd, family wagon, road trip mobile, mall crawler, mountain cruiser, and rock crawler. It rides better than stock and still drives perfectly down the road. So far the lift etc has just shy of 9k miles on it, and she still loves driving it so much I'm not allowed to drive it.
I installed everything myself and the only parts I wasn't completely happy with were the track bars, I think they would be fine for a mall crawler and some mild off-roading but if you plan on using it hard I would go with something else.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, looks like I was getting little overkill for a beach cruiser, I think I will go with terra flex 2.5 and 35in tires,

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
This is a list I often recommend to people

- TF 2.5 without shocks or extensions
- this gets you the rear TB axle bracket
- Rancho 9000 shocks 29XL and 30XL
- Northridge 9/16 bolt kit
- front adjustment track bar (optional)

Install the lift, alignment and get a feel for handling.

- front adjustable control arms or drop brackets if you feel steering is loose (caster)

Happy jeeping :thumb:

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
This is a list I often recommend to people

- TF 2.5 without shocks or extensions
- this gets you the rear TB axle bracket
- Rancho 9000 shocks 29XL and 30XL
- Northridge 9/16 bolt kit
- front adjustment track bar (optional)

Install the lift, alignment and get a feel for handling.

- front adjustable control arms or drop brackets if you feel steering is loose (caster)

Happy jeeping :thumb:
good stuff. swap Rancho for Fox :D oh and the kit also has the often overlooked bump stop extensions...

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Many of us like big lift, big tires, big gear ratios, big bumpers but they all have big consequences sooner or later. How fat is your wallet and your tolerance on the road?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts