Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new JKUAE and have a question about where to store valuables when you have to stop on the way home from work or just out and about. I looked at insta trunk and those type of products and could not figure out if there are ones that are removable (need to be able to take the dog). Also, is there something better for securing computer when you have to stop off to handle the honey do list?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There are several products that address this issue. Tuffy makes several different enclosures for the rear. They use the locked no rear gate to make a secure storage area. The top can be used for storage also. Can be used with the soft and hard top. I've had a Tuffy one for several years and it works great. I can take the top out so the whole rear area is open for large items. Another one is backbone, I believe. Same idea but slightly different design. Quadratec has the,, as do others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are several products that address this issue. Tuffy makes several different enclosures for the rear. They use the locked no rear gate to make a secure storage area. The top can be used for storage also. Can be used with the soft and hard top. I've had a Tuffy one for several years and it works great. I can take the top out so the whole rear area is open for large items. Another one is backbone, I believe. Same idea but slightly different design. Quadratec has the,, as do others.

I have the Tuffy secure storage for the rear (converts tailgate area to a locked trunk, it's certainly effective for running errands, but I wouldn't trust it overnight in a sketchy area with the top down.

I also have the Tuffy "safe" under the passenger seat... very nice design/execution and that thing IS bomb-proof.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a follow up - I installed the Tuffy and it worked great on our 2700 + mile trip we stored computers and other stuff in there with no issue. Not the most weather proof but that is okay. We were also able to store on the top deck (a big trunk) for stuff we didn't care if someone wanted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
MOPAR makes a lockable cubby cover, too. I found mine on amazon for a couple hundred bucks. Seems to work good... Just searched Wrangler lockable cargo cubby cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jplyman325 - which tuffy model do you have? 326 model? or 299? were you able to fit your freedom panels in there? Tuffy has better pricing than the slipstream and seems to have simple removal / installation. Thx

·
Registered
122 Posts
mascmatt - how did the installation go? how do you like the product? am considering the slipstream as well.
Thanks.
I absolutely love it. Its well worth the money compared to cheaper covers that fall short in one area or another. I actually made a review video of it if that helps.

https://youtu.be/RHsWruRnr9A

·
Registered
63 Posts
jplyman325 - which tuffy model do you have? 326 model? or 299? were you able to fit your freedom panels in there? Tuffy has better pricing than the slipstream and seems to have simple removal / installation. Thx
Hello!
You will be able to store your Freedom Panels in the 299-01 Tailgate Enclosure as it uses wheel well to wheel well storage! A great solution is to mount brackets onto the top panel of the 299 to elevate the freedom panels off of the floor and allow for other items to be stored at the same time!
Freedom Panels are more difficult to store in the 326-01 Deluxe Deck Enclosure as it does not use wheel well to wheel well storage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
MOPAR makes a lockable cubby cover, too. I found mine on amazon for a couple hundred bucks. Seems to work good... Just searched Wrangler lockable cargo cubby cover.
If you are talking about the little cubby in the rear cargo area (4 door), doesn't the rear tailgate prevent it from opening when closed? If the gate's locked, it should be fairly secure.

That being said, I'd love to find a way to make it larger to accommodate a laptop or other larger items. It looks like Warrior Products and Dominion Offroad make enlarged tubs for this very purpose (there are also some DIY writeups out there too). The WP version looks a little larger to me and can be had with a locking steel lid. All these options require muffler relocation and/or replacement.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the fixed deck version I believe 299 - I have a soft top so I'm unable to know if the freedom panels.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hello!
You will be able to store your Freedom Panels in the 299-01 Tailgate Enclosure as it uses wheel well to wheel well storage! A great solution is to mount brackets onto the top panel of the 299 to elevate the freedom panels off of the floor and allow for other items to be stored at the same time!
Freedom Panels are more difficult to store in the 326-01 Deluxe Deck Enclosure as it does not use wheel well to wheel well storage.
Does tuffy ever run sales events? Black Friday, seasonal, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello!
I was considering the 326 because it is supposed to be easy to remove, but I want to store my freedom panels back there when the enclosure is installed. How hard is it to remove the 299? I now think it might make more sense since I am not sure where I would put my freedom panels with the 326.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 326 has wing nuts to make it easier, but I think the 299 would be pretty simple too just undo the bolts and remove. The bigger thing will be where to store when pulled out. Have not pulled ours out yet -

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 326 has wing nuts to make it easier, but I think the 299 would be pretty simple too just undo the bolts and remove. The bigger thing will be where to store when pulled out. Have not pulled ours out yet -
We have a shed and some room in the garage, but I am mainly thinking about when I need to put something tall back there. The 299 is a lot cheaper, so I think I will go that route even if it is slightly harder to remove. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'm really happy with my 299. I almost went the more expense route, looked at truck vault, ARB drawers and the Jeep Backbone, but Tuffy is made in the US and it wasn't a part I could justify the extra $$$ on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does tuffy ever run sales events? Black Friday, seasonal, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, we do not offer sales events as we do not compete with our Dealers. Our Dealers not only offer more competitive pricing, but they also have the option to sell our products during a sales event!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was considering the 326 because it is supposed to be easy to remove, but I want to store my freedom panels back there when the enclosure is installed. How hard is it to remove the 299? I now think it might make more sense since I am not sure where I would put my freedom panels with the 326.
Removal of the 299-01 Tailgate Enclosure does require tools, but it is not difficult to remove! You could remove the enclosure by yourself, but we do recommend having a second person when lifting to help ease the removal process!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts