Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 4 door Jk, I'm not that mechanically inclined. Would I be able to install a 4 inch suspension lift on my own, or am I getting in to far, I know you guys don't know my capabilities, but how hard is it to install? Thank you. Planning on putting 33 inch tires and will probably have to replace the drive shaft.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2010 4 door Jk, I'm not that mechanically inclined. Would I be able to install a 4 inch suspension lift on my own, or am I getting in to far, I know you guys don't know my capabilities, but how hard is it to install? Thank you. Planning on putting 33 inch tires and will probably have to replace the drive shaft.
If you're worried about if you can do it or not, then I'd recommend finding someone experienced to help you or finding a reputable shop to do it. If you can look under your Jeep and understand how your front suspension works, then you should be able to do it with a little direction. I'd be glad to try and answer any questions you have, just PM me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You do not have to change drive shaft! Angle is not that large of a change if you went to a 6 bare getting into some tricky angles! I ha some major problems with my lift my man! I would say pay for it to be put it if it brakes or a problem comes up they fix it ! And 33 fit under the stock lift you no right?

·
Registered
137 Posts
IMHO 4" of lift and 33's on a JK is gonna sit like a skateboard...

Cruise through many of the other forums (including this one) out there and look through pictures of peoples rigs...

Now, your username says YJ - then, we might be talking a different deal - as you might need 4" to get 33's...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyones help, I don't actually have the Jk yet, looking at a few now. I had a 94 with a 3 inch body lift with 33x12.5 mudders and they just were too much for my engine, went through two engines, 4.0's. It will mostly be for looks and the occasional off road but nothing serious, will 35's be too much for the 3.8L.?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Thanks for everyones help, I don't actually have the Jk yet, looking at a few now. I had a 94 with a 3 inch body lift with 33x12.5 mudders and they just were too much for my engine, went through two engines, 4.0's. It will mostly be for looks and the occasional off road but nothing serious, will 35's be too much for the 3.8L.?
35's are not too much for a JK as long as you regear. 33's are not too much for any 4.0 either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told that the 33's were too wide (12.5) and the 94 couldn't take that much, how much would an average 4 in suspension with 33 or 35's cost, still debating, with labor and all parts, just ballpark? Mine as well throw a winch in there too. Haha

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
I was told that the 33's were too wide (12.5) and the 94 couldn't take that much, how much would an average 4 in suspension with 33 or 35's cost, still debating, with labor and all parts, just ballpark? Mine as well throw a winch in there too. Haha
That is totally false. They shouldn't have told you that.

Gears are the biggest issue when you put on bigger tires. Lots of folks run 33's with 2.5L.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
You do not have to change drive shaft! Angle is not that large of a change if you went to a 6 bare getting into some tricky angles! I ha some major problems with my lift my man! I would say pay for it to be put it if it brakes or a problem comes up they fix it ! And 33 fit under the stock lift you no right?
At least not right away. If you have a 4" lift on an automatic 2 door it will be inevitable. Fatal Angle Tom Woods JK Wrangler Driveshafts - Jp Magazine

·
Registered
100 Posts
First piece of advice… Be sure a 4” lift is truly what you want. I jumped into mine with little research only to find out later that it will cause problems with my factory power train warranty. I was told by my dealership that 2 to 3 inches shouldn’t be a problem and with your choice of tire size would be a better fit.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/lift-kits-and-warranty-issues-69260.html

I bought my first jeep (2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport) in September and just installed a 4" lift. The supplier was Zone Off-road and I did the work myself. I’m an instrument technician by trade and moderately mechanically inclined but certainly a novice when it comes to suspension systems. The kit came with detailed instructions with pictures for illustration of each step and their tech support department was easy to contact. THIS WAS ESSENTIAL!!!

If you decide to do the work yourself, my first suggestion would be to gather as much information as you can up front. Identify all parts involved. This is a link that I found quite helpful. jeep wrangler suspension diagram - Google Search

Read the instructions several times before you touch anything. Crawl under your Jeep while you do this and visualize every step.

Inventory your kit and check off every component. The last thing you want is to find that you’re missing something mid job.

Make sure you have all the tools you’ll need. (floor jack, jack stands, tie rod end puller, torque wrench, hand tools, etc.)

Once you start, follow the instructions to the letter and when you’re finished recheck everything. Not to insult your intelligence but a failure at highway speeds is unthinkable.

Check the torque on all critical connections. My instructions called for everything to be snugged with a wrench then torqued with vehicle weight on the suspension. (torque specs were outlined in the instructions)

Good luck
John

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Offshoretek: That was an outstanding answer. I'm not the OP, obviously, but I found that really helpful. Just sayin'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts