Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if I'm asking something that's been answered before!

I have a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited. I was wondering how I could go about replacing my stereo unit and installing a better one, and a back up camera. Is this possible? If I installed a new unit (one that had a back up camera display) would I still be able to use the UConnect features and control my iPhone music with the buttons on my steering wheel?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. Essentially, I want a back up camera, and nicer stereo head unit, but I don't want to lose any features that I currently have with switching my songs on my iphone by using the buttons behind my steering wheel.

Any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you decide to go with the Maestro, be sure to go to their website and pick a compatible head unit.

I have the Maestro/Pioneer 4200NEX combo in my Jeep and was going to do something similar in my wife's car with a nice JVC unit I had.

Alas, the JVC I have is not a compatible model.

I will probably give her the 4200NEX and get myself another Android unit.

The Maestro/4200NEX combo is OK, but after having the Android head unit the Pioneer is VERY limited in comparison of functionality.

Also, keep in mind that if you get the power for your backup camera from the reverse lights, you will only have the camera view in Reverse.

Both the Pioneer and the Android units allow you to switch on the backup camera any time, but you need to either have a way to switch power to it or leave it powered all the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you decide to go with the Maestro, be sure to go to their website and pick a compatible head unit.

I will probably give her the 4200NEX and get myself another Android unit.

The Maestro/4200NEX combo is OK, but after having the Android head unit the Pioneer is VERY limited in comparison of functionality.
I have the same HU and have been very pleased. Android Auto handles the "while driving functions" very well. The Pioneer HU has a rather fast boot time (compared to my experience with most android HUs) so the backup camera is ready to use by the time I get it in gear.

For my camera solution, I went with something slightly different and got a blackvue 2 camera truck dashcam and their unit that splits the rear camera feed to connect to the HU The setup allows for the HU to auto switch to the camera when shifted into reverse and to manually switch to the camera feed while driving. The rear camera is much larger than most and can't be easily recessed into a bumper or what not but the quality and resolution is superior.

CJREX: curious what features and functionality are you missing in the 4200nex and which Android hu are you looking at. I had an android HU a few years ago in another car and the boot times were so slow that I was 2 blocks away before it was fully "on" so I am very hesitant to go back to that, hell the NEX is barely tolerable and with the warning screen at every boot making it worse.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
There are a bunch of backup camera threads... very possible...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts

CJREX: curious what features and functionality are you missing in the 4200nex and which Android hu are you looking at. I had an android HU a few years ago in another car and the boot times were so slow that I was 2 blocks away before it was fully "on" so I am very hesitant to go back to that, hell the NEX is barely tolerable and with the warning screen at every boot making it worse.
I had the 2GB RAM/32GB ROM Intel CPU Joying Wrangler specific unit (I had a bad one apparently as it froze up with boring regularity. Others on here have had much better luck.)

Rear view camera was available almost instantly and the system was booted and ready to use in <10 seconds.

As far as features, the biggest benefits were in Navigation apps since you could run any tablet app.

Waze, Polaris, Locus, Backcountry, Sygic, all worked great.

I was using JetAudio for media and it was good enough that I didn't miss iPod compatibility at all.

Tether the unit to your phone and you have basically unlimited internet radio options that put Sirius/XM to shame without the monthly fee (depending on your data plan I guess, but internet radio doesn't use much data). I used Radio Tunes and it was fully controlled by the steering wheel buttons.

Think of anything you can do with an Android tablet and it's available.

I'll be honest and say that while I had the Joying and it was freezing up, I couldn't wait to get rid of it and install the 4200NEX system since I knew it was a good unit (it was formerly in my Subaru).

But when the Joying was working right, it was terrific and now I find myself wishing the 4200 was a bit more like the Joying, minus the freeze ups. :happyyes:

If one of the major vendors offered an Android unit, I would jump on it with both feet.

But it would probably be neutered with so much anti-lawsuit BS, like Android Auto currently is, that it would be a pain to use. Just LOVE that stupid click limit.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OP - which head unit do you have? I have a 430N with Sat/Nav and it's OK - but I married iit to a BrandMotion backup camera and had the dealer flash the radio for $65 and its pretty good all things considered. Night backup is still squirrley due to the optics of the camera (nothing like my Tacoma) and I added in bumper lighting to make up for the contrast issues I was experiencing. The biggest POS is the UConnect software - like a pack of monkeys built it around a highly flawed usecase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced my 430 with a Kenwood Excelon DNX893S head unit/Garmin nav. Added the Kenwood CMOS-230 backup camera‎ and it works great! Standard harness supports steering wheel buttons, but lost voice command (which I never use).

Running Kenwood Excelon X801-5 amp to upgraded front speakers and dual subs. Powering factory roll bar speakers with head unit.

Current subs are Pioneer 8" shallow mounts and they sound great, but replacing them with 2 x JL Audio 10W3V3-2 10" subs arriving next week.

Replaced front stock speakers with Focal K2 Power ES 165 KX2 two way's. Made all the difference. SiriusXM sounds incredible on this setup... can't imagine what the JL's will do.

So if you don't care about voice command, after market head unit & camera with proper wiring harness will get you what you're looking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts