Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next project will most likely be installing rear lockers in my 2000 TJ but need a lot more education on it and if they will work with my 410 gears. Or if it's just as good to weld the spider gears. Please any advice would help on how well they perform or what brands to get that work the best or if there are cheaper lockers you found that work great let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure I have Dana 44 with 410 gears. It's not trails only I drive it to work and around my small town but I do off-road ride on the weekends and it's why I bought the jeep and my jeep is sitting on 33/11.50 tires

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would go with a mini spool before welding spider gears regardless I wouldn't want to run either on the road. Lockers are best because the have the ability to unlock for road use

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
if it is a d44, its strong enough for a locker and 33's.

welding the spider is the cheap and sleezy method to keep your rear axle locked all the time. while on-road, your rear tires will chirp around every turn. also, if you have to deal with snow, it will make things interesting

i dont think i could ever justify welding the spider gears as a benefit

LSD or selectable is a much more common setup as they can be invisible on road and very beneficial off road. more money, but doesnt limit your jeeps functionality on-road

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Sounds like a trutrac would be good for you

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Sounds like a trutrac would be good for you
What makes you say that? He said it's for offroad use. Truetracs and limited slip differentials in general are great for the street, like ice or snow covered streets, and level trails where the tires tend to stay on the ground but lockers are for offroading. Having once run front and rear Truetracs and finding out just how little they help on difficult trails, I switched them both out for true lockers. Night and day DRAMATIC difference/improvement in offroad abilities. I'd never recommend Truetracs for anyone who says the purpose of whatever gets installed is for offroad use. :)

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
If he doesnt know what an LSD is and has to ask if welding the spider gears is an option i wonder if he even knows what rearend he has...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts