Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just finished my Install with the Polk components up front with the Co-Axial's in the sound bar. I notice the front speaker sound great but the sound bar speakers distort like mad and vibrate / resonate the sound bar. The rear speakers also turn on the protection feature of the amp when they distort. Is the sound bar just horrible to get any decent sound from? Could it be I used the factory wiring for the sound bar.

Thanks

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well I just finished my Install with the Polk components up front with the Co-Axial's in the sound bar. I notice the front speaker sound great but the sound bar speakers distort like mad and vibrate / resonate the sound bar. The rear speakers also turn on the protection feature of the amp when they distort. Is the sound bar just horrible to get any decent sound from? Could it be I used the factory wiring for the sound bar.

Thanks
They might require an enclosure to sound their best - and that is hard to do for the rears. Did you stuff the sound bar with hollow fill?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks for the advice but I have installed probably 20 systems in my 44 years it's definetly strange and not something that easy :)
Didn't mean to insult you but more often than not these type of issues are that easy and most have little experience with 12V electronics. I was MECP certified way back and have installed 100's of systems (some competition). Now that we know it's not something simple you need to start replacing things in the chain to determine where the issue is.

1. Switch the Front and Rear RCA's going into the Amp. Does the problem still exist at the rear speakers or does it now exist at the front speakers.

Once you know the answer to the above we can move to step 2.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't mean to insult you but more often than not these type of issues are that easy and most have little experience with 12V electronics. I was MECP certified way back and have installed 100's of systems (some competition). Now that we know it's not something simple you need to start replacing things in the chain to determine where the issue is.

1. Switch the Front and Rear RCA's going into the Amp. Does the problem still exist at the rear speakers or does it now exist at the front speakers.

Once you know the answer to the above we can move to step 2.
No insult taken I hope I didn't come off like I was :)

I'm feeding the front and rears + Sub from the front speaker outputs on the 430N (line ouput) I have swapped inputs on the amp and get the same results.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'm feeding the front and rears + Sub from the front speaker outputs on the 430N (line ouput) I have swapped inputs on the amp and get the same results.
What? Is there an adapter/plug for the 430N that provides line outs, or are you using speaker level outputs, and a LOC?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Good point I'll try that later.
A small enclosed speaker such as a HT surround speaker or car speaker in a temp enclosure works great for diagnosing issues. Connect it directly to the rear channel at the amp. If the test speaker sounds good then you know the issue lies somewhere downstream from the amp. Next, removed one of the rear speakers and connect the test speaker to the wiring in the soundbar. If the test speaker still sounds good then you know the issue can only be one of two things - bad speakers or the soundbar enclosure itself. However, if the test speaker now sounds like crap then there is an issue in the wiring somewhere btw the amp and rear speakers. That would be a bitch to troubleshoot and I would just run brand new wire.

Let's say the test speaker still sounded good. Now you have to determine if it's the speakers or sound bar. Hopefully you can get your hands on another 6.5 speaker to make this determination. Hell, try one of the crappy stock speakers you pulled.

Anyway, at the end of the day you just have to keep eliminating possibilities until you narrow the issue down to the single component that is causing the issue.

·
Registered
179 Posts
1. Swap the inputs to see if it's an issue between the headunit and amplifier. If the problem doesn't change, that's not the issue.
2. Swap the outputs at the amp (front and rears) and see if the problem changes. If not, it's not the amp outputs. At that point, you need to re-do the wiring to the rear speakers, or test the speakers themselves with another source.

Basically, just start swapping shit around to eliminate possibilities. Once you have it narrowed down, you can start replacing a few things until you find out what it was.

Originally, my thought was that you have no LPF turned on at the amplifier since your components have their own crossover and that was causing your distortion in the rear. However, that shouldn't cause the protection circuit to trigger on the amp. It's more than likely that the rear speakers are wired incorrectly. Only three things really cause an amplifier to go into protect... a short in your source signal, a short in the speakers themselves, or a short in the wiring between the amp and the speaker.
EDIT: Another cause is insufficient voltage from the battery, or a bad ground on the amplifier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
430N line level outputs? Internal DSP reset possible?

I have replace the stock speakers with Alpine component speakers and added a Kicker self powered sub. Better but it has a long way to go. Thinking about how to improve this without changing the out the 430N (the integration with the sterling wheel controls etc looks like a pain).
Does anyone know if the 430N has line level (as well as speaker level) outputs? If so which connector are they in? Is there a schematic out there someplace?
It is my understanding that Jeep programs the internal DSP (i.e. equalization) for either the base unit or the Alpine unit to compensate for the speakers and "tune" them to the interior of the Jeep. Can anyone confirm and/or shed light on that? If that is the case is their a way to defeat or reprogram the internal audio DSP and set it to flat? Or - if the 430N has line outputs (too) do they have a flat frequency response?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts