Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I picked up a Bully Dog tuner for the Jeep. Drove it quite a bit today and noticed a VERY significant improvement in the lie-o-meter on the dash (~12.7 MPGs originally - 18+ MPGs today).

I'll write a review once I have spent some time with the unit, but for now, the entire install is over on my blog.

Hope some of my lessons save you time with your install.

Scott

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
That's a 50% increase in fuel economy!!! Tuner companies make a living advertising 10-15% increase in performance and/or fuel economy.

You know what they about things that sound too good to be true ...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm looking forward to some calculations. I looked at my jeep today at I was at 11.9. Ouch. I'd love to pick up a few MPGs, not for gas prices but for extended range.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Yesterday I picked up a Bully Dog tuner for the Jeep. Drove it quite a bit today and noticed a VERY significant improvement in the lie-o-meter on the dash (~12.7 MPGs originally - 18+ MPGs today). I'll write a review once I have spent some time with the unit, but for now, the entire install is over on my blog. Hope some of my lessons save you time with your install. Scott
Are you running a bigger then stock size tire? If so, was your computer/speedo re calibrated for the bigger tire before adding the BullyDog?

·
Registered
52 Posts
my father in law got a programmer on his ford f250 7.3L diesel and his lie o meter says he is getting 32mpg which is a lie he is really getting maybe 20mpg on the highway so i am curious as to what you are getting. cause stock with my 2in spacer lift im still getting 19 to 21 mpg without a programmer

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you running a bigger then stock size tire? If so, was your computer/speedo re calibrated for the bigger tire before adding the BullyDog?
I did recalibrate so I know that can impact the readings.

But before, I was using Ulysses Speedometer on my cell for GPS speed and distance to calculate my MPGs...at 12.7 average.

I need to do the same with the tuner. The 18+ I referenced was off the dash.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that you've had it for a while what are your thoughts? Is it worth it?
So I have yet to do anything scientific just yet. I am waiting for Summer blend for the experiment.

I will say it is worth it. I have noticed drives I used to do a lot, using less fuel.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Clear odometer, fill up, next fill up miles take driven miles/miles on odo=mpg

may not be super accurate but with a 5+ mpg difference also can verify the readout.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clear odometer, fill up, next fill up miles take driven miles/miles on odo=mpg

may not be super accurate but with a 5+ mpg difference also can verify the readout.
The MPGs (and gallons used) is actually really accurate.

My plan goes beyond this:

1. Load stock tune. Fill up on 87. Drive to work. Fill up, record gallons used.
2. Load Regular tune. Fill up on same gas, drive home. Full up. Record.
Drive around, empty tank.
3. Load premium tune. Fill with premium. Drive to work, fill up, record.

I plan on recording all variables - weather, accessories on etc.

I just need the time to do this the right way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question on Bully Dog Tuner

Yesterday I picked up a Bully Dog tuner for the Jeep.

Scott
Can you tun off the TPMS altogether with the Bully Dog or just change the pressures between 10 and 60 PSI like the book suggests? Can seem to get a clear answer on that.

I am looking at leaving TPMS out of my new tire/wheel combo. Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
to get really good readings that will actually be accurate try setting your tire size by doing an actual measurement of the tire.

inflate to proper pressure Cold, then lay out a tape measure drive over it, yes this will trash a normal tape so use a cheap one.

then wrap the tape around the tire, this will give you a true running circumference and will be far more accurate than either tire brand or say 35 for a 35 inch tire..
a 35 tire is actually 33.4 inches in diameter.. if I remember the decimal accurately.

should help you get a much more accurate mileage..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can you tun off the TPMS altogether with the Bully Dog or just change the pressures between 10 and 60 PSI like the book suggests? Can seem to get a clear answer on that.

I am looking at leaving TPMS out of my new tire/wheel combo. Thanks
You can completely turn it off. I did.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
to get really good readings that will actually be accurate try setting your tire size by doing an actual measurement of the tire.

inflate to proper pressure Cold, then lay out a tape measure drive over it, yes this will trash a normal tape so use a cheap one.

then wrap the tape around the tire, this will give you a true running circumference and will be far more accurate than either tire brand or say 35 for a 35 inch tire..
a 35 tire is actually 33.4 inches in diameter.. if I remember the decimal accurately.

should help you get a much more accurate

This seems primitive. There are several other methods on this forum that will save you a tape measure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The MPGs (and gallons used) is actually really accurate.

My plan goes beyond this:

1. Load stock tune. Fill up on 87. Drive to work. Fill up, record gallons used.
2. Load Regular tune. Fill up on same gas, drive home. Full up. Record.
Drive around, empty tank.
3. Load premium tune. Fill with premium. Drive to work, fill up, record.

I plan on recording all variables - weather, accessories on etc.

I just need the time to do this the right way.
Have you had the opportunity to do it the right way like you wanted? I am curious about your results and satisfaction at this point. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the superchips trail dash and you can turn off the TPMS. You just have to register on the website and sign an agreement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts