Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to make a post in case someone was looking to do similar in the future.

I installed a Pioneer 4200NEX when I first got my Jeep. I also went with the RR Maestro unit to keep steering wheel controls.

I purchased Morel Maximo 6 Components and Morel Maximo Coaxials for my 2017 Wrangler JKU.

The coax were for the soundbar. Install wasn't terrible but Crutchfield did not send any adapters so I had to buy some locally. I bought Metra - Speaker Adapters for Select Vehicles (2-Pack) - Black
Model: 82-6600
. They worked but I had to shave off a good bit of the inside diameter to get the large basket of the morels to fit inside them. Not terrible but a bit time consuming with the tools on hand. BTW I did contact Crutchfield and asked them to send me the correct adapters so I would have them to do my front speakers.

They did give me this wiring harness which worked perfectly. I did not want to cut my factory wiring.

I also disconnected the factory smaller speaker in the soundbar. No need for it since the coaxials would take care of the higher frequencies also.

Install probably took around 4 hours total. I also stuffed some polyfill inside of the enclosure(s). Oh, i also I put some foam/weather stripping on the front face of the soundbar where I would mount the speaker to in case there was some rattling/vibrations.

At this time I had the 4200nex connected to the factory front upper/lower dash speakers and the Morels in the soundbar.

On my 4200 I did the auto sound calibration (can't recall the technical name) which really helped the sound. But I believe I set the crossover to -12db @ 80Hz afterwards.
One note about this is I used my Yamaha mic from my home theater to do the calibration instead of paying for a Pioneer branded one.

I wouldn't be able to install the components for two weeks.

So, now it was time for the Maximo 6's. I had the Schoche SAC-656 adapters Crutchfield sent and I had a pair of the Metras I bought locally.

I started with the passenger side because from what I read the drivers side was a bit harder.

Again, I didn't want to cut the factory wiring harness so I used the adapters Crutchfield provided. They were Metra 71-050.

Now, this is just what I did. I'm sure there are other ways of doing this stuff. I connected the above adapter inside the lower dash pod and drilled a hole in the rear of the pod. I cut off the connectors on the ends. I then added some 16 gauge wire and lengthened it. Connected that to the Amp + and - of the crossover. Drilled another small hole and ran another length of 16 gauge to the Woofer + and - of the crossover and connected the other end to the Morel driver.
Put some polyfill in the pod and also I put some foam/weather stripping on the front face of the pod where the speaker would be screwed in.
BTW these speakers lined right up with the pod, no need for adapters. So, now I have 3 extra pair.

Next is the tweeter. I was tired at this point and had some of those metal back straps but I just didn't think I could bend them perfectly to hold the tweeter and line up with the factory holes. So, I gutted the factory speakers in the upper dash. Used that as my "adapter" and used a hot glue gun to fasten the tweeter to the adapter. Worked perfectly. I ran the tweeter wires down to the crossover and connected it.
I mounted the crossover on the left upper top of the pod. I used velcro tape. Shouldn't be hard to remove in the future.

Pretty much the same with the drivers side but it was a bit more difficult to get the pod out and back in. I used the velcro tape to mount the crossover somewhere on the left sidewall above where you disconnect the wiring for the doors when you remove them.

I did this some Friday night and on/off today. Maybe 5 hours total.

I did not have a chance to redo the Pioneer calibration. Not even sure it would change much but I will do it one day just for the heck of it.

I set the fronts just like to soundbar. 80Hz a -12db. I would love some advice on whether or not that should be tweaked.

Overall the sound is so crisp and clear. And I was really only listening to pretty good mp3 rips on an SD card. I would love some advice on what others recommend to dial in their systems. But considering I have no amp, just the 4200 deck power, it gets pretty loud. Not sure I will add an amp. I may add a small sub at some time in the future. Any budget minded suggestions? Really don't want to spend but $2-300. I'm not into deep rumbling bass, just some tight, punchy type bass.

Anyway. Hope some of this info helps someone one day. I was in a hurry so I may have left out some info.
No pics because I was by myself and just wanted to finish. Sorry.

Any questions, just ask.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Good job! Thanks for writing this up. This will help some people. I've been meaning to do a write up on mine as well.

I have the exact system, except I put basic Kickers in the soundbar for now. I siliconed the tweeters into the old tweeter frame. Hot glue can get brittle over time and come loose so keep an eye on that.

For $150 front speakers, the Morels aren't bad. The potential is there for some decent imaging, but to me they sound a little thin and strident with the Pioneer deck amp at medium volume. I'm going to reserve judgement until I can get an amp installed and a sub.

I bought the Pioneer calibration mic. Even if I use it only once or twice, I've paid more than $20 on other accessories that probably didn't make as much difference. It's a good tool to have. It's hard to tell how well the Yamaha mic you used worked in comparison to the Pioneer, but if you liked the improvement then it at least helped a little.

A little off topic, but the next time you rip music, don't use mp3. Try using FLAC or WAV format. They are lossless, so you get true cd quality, and hard drive space is cheap these days so why not?

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
I have the 8200, Morel Maximo's in the sound bar and Audison Voce speakers up front. I set the LoPass at 80Hz on the deck for the front and rear speakers and 80hz on the amp for the sub. Front speakers run 0db attenuation, -6db on the sound bar speakers and +2db on the sub. I am running a smallest sub at this time. This was set up using the Pioneeer mic setup.

Sound stage is pretty good but maybe the sound bar need a little more attenuation. I am happy at the moment and will wait until I get the sub I want installed.

It was after I did the setup that I came to the conclusion you really don't need a 5 channel amp for our Jeeps with these upper end decks. -6db of attenuation with a 100w amp means you are only running 25w to the sound bar. And as I said I don't think -9 would be bad. That is only 13w of power needed and these decks put out 14w RMS and peak at 50.

A 2 channel amp to run the front speakers and a mono amp to run the sub. The deck can run the sound bar. But alas I already have a 5 channel amp. But now I am thinking of going active on the front speakers or a 3 channel setup. We will see what my installer thinks of all of this.

Reactions: crazychile

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Terry,
What you describe is exactly my plan. I bought a 2 ch and a mono amp but just haven't been able to finish my install. My garage has been well over 100 deg lately and I'm getting too old to endure half a day of that.

·
Premium Member
9,626 Posts
Edit, just check my manual and it is 22w RMS so there would not be an issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts