Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Engo winch yesterday. It turned into a much larger project than I had anticipated.

First off, I mounted the winch to the ACE Mid Width Bumper with Bull Bar. When I went to install the solenoid box to the winch, I found that the solenoid box would not mount on the winch with the winch already on the bumper. I pulled the winch back off thinking that it would fit if it was installed as one piece. With the solenoid control box now on the winch, I found that the wires supplied were too short to run to the winch itself if the solenoid box was centered on the winch. Therefore the solenoid box would have to be off centered to use the supplied cables. I thought this to be unacceptable and figured I would just need to buy longer cables to center the solenoid box. Again I was wrong because I tried fitting the winch with solenoid box mounted to the bumper. It still would not fit.

Now I'm really starting to get upset over this whole thing. So I decided If I was going to keep the winch and or new bumper I would mount the winch remotely.

After careful consideration I decided to mount the solenoid box above the battery. There's not many other options.

I go purchase two new battery cables to make the run.

I then open up the solenoid box cover. 3 of the screws came out fine. The 4th screw was not holding anything as it had been over tightened by the factory. It had crushed the plastic on the lid to the point where the plastic that should have been between the screw and the lid was now just a torn up washer. I pull the lid off and find the seal from the lid to the box is pinched and only on about 1/2 way. I was able to fix the seal somewhat.

I move the wires around in solenoid box to account for the short runs now being long runs. I wire everything up and nothing worked. I got out my test light and had power to the winch, but nothing would work. I assumed that I had wired it wrong due to changing the cables around. I got the wiring schematic back out and went over it time and time again. I could not find anything wrong. Other than where my yellow stud on the winch is at is in a different location than the wiring schematic. I moved those two cables around. It did not work. I then jumped the lugs on the winch motor. The motor would run in both directions. So I assumed the solenoids were bad. I then jumped the solenoids and they clicked and the winch ran. So I was wrong yet again.

Now I figure the only thing left is the hand held switch itself is bad. I put my ohm meter on the switch. It seems to be working. Once again I was wrong.

Back to the wiring schematics with my multi-meter and test light. What do I find? The small power wire inside the solenoid box was on the wrong lug. It was not on the battery positive side of the solenoids. I move this wire around and "BINGO" everything works. This was not a stud on the solenoids that had the battery cables on it. Therefore, I know I did not put it in the wrong place. The Engo factory had simply wired the solenoid box wrong.

So 2 1/2 additional hours were spent trouble shooting the winch from a factory mistake. I doubt they spent anywhere near 2 1/2 hours even building the thing.

Engo quality control is lacking to say the least.

I haven't even put the hook on the synthetic line yet and I'm already having buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had no problems installing mine and works like a charm for the price. Only complaint is the garbage seal on the solenoid box, easily fixed that with some silicone

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
I had no problems installing mine and works like a charm for the price. Only complaint is the garbage seal on the solenoid box, easily fixed that with some silicone
This is what I get from your post.

I am pleased that my cheap Chinese winch goes in and out. Hope I never really need it. Looks awesome on my mall crawler.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yeah, I had no issues either.. Shit happens, but sorry it had to happen to you..

·
Registered
599 Posts

I am pleased that my cheap Chinese winch goes in and out. Hope I never really need it. Looks awesome on my mall crawler.
Lol. Haven't heard that before.

Used it twice last time I went out. I'm sure you have a warn?

I also wish I was such an extreme wheeler as yourself.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Great response. Sometimes I think there are people who have a warn winch, xyz wheels, abc lift kit and are so self conscious that they never use it or whatever then they have to bag on anyone who didn't buy that brand. Engo shows itself to work pretty darn well.

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
14,065 Posts

Great response. Sometimes I think there are people who have a warn winch, xyz wheels, abc lift kit and are so self conscious that they never use it or whatever then they have to bag on anyone who didn't buy that brand. Engo shows itself to work pretty darn well.
I actually could care less what you buy and put on your Jeep. My response can be plugged into many posts on WF.

I find it funny when people buy a cheap product and have to justify it by saying,"It works just fine for me." or anything to that affect. There are quality parts and low quality parts. Some are good deals other are not. I never buy something based on price alone. I take several factors. I would NEVER pay $1600+ for a Warn 8274. I would never pay $3000 for a ECGS axle. I would never pay $1100 for a Posion Spyder cage.

My point is if you do your do diligence you can find good deals on quality components. Of the Chinese winches I have seen in use the Engo is bar far the best. That isn't much of a compliment. All winches will fail. Even Warn. When they do fail what can you then?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Sorry your winch gave you such a problem, Tx. :nonono:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I installed my Engo winch yesterday. It turned into a much larger project than I had anticipated.

First off, I mounted the winch to the ACE Mid Width Bumper with Bull Bar. When I went to install the solenoid box to the winch, I found that the solenoid box would not mount on the winch with the winch already on the bumper. I pulled the winch back off thinking that it would fit if it was installed as one piece. With the solenoid control box now on the winch, I found that the wires supplied were too short to run to the winch itself if the solenoid box was centered on the winch. Therefore the solenoid box would have to be off centered to use the supplied cables. I thought this to be unacceptable and figured I would just need to buy longer cables to center the solenoid box. Again I was wrong because I tried fitting the winch with solenoid box mounted to the bumper. It still would not fit.

Now I'm really starting to get upset over this whole thing. So I decided If I was going to keep the winch and or new bumper I would mount the winch remotely.

After careful consideration I decided to mount the solenoid box above the battery. There's not many other options.

I go purchase two new battery cables to make the run.

I then open up the solenoid box cover. 3 of the screws came out fine. The 4th screw was not holding anything as it had been over tightened by the factory. It had crushed the plastic on the lid to the point where the plastic that should have been between the screw and the lid was now just a torn up washer. I pull the lid off and find the seal from the lid to the box is pinched and only on about 1/2 way. I was able to fix the seal somewhat.

I move the wires around in solenoid box to account for the short runs now being long runs. I wire everything up and nothing worked. I got out my test light and had power to the winch, but nothing would work. I assumed that I had wired it wrong due to changing the cables around. I got the wiring schematic back out and went over it time and time again. I could not find anything wrong. Other than where my yellow stud on the winch is at is in a different location than the wiring schematic. I moved those two cables around. It did not work. I then jumped the lugs on the winch motor. The motor would run in both directions. So I assumed the solenoids were bad. I then jumped the solenoids and they clicked and the winch ran. So I was wrong yet again.

Now I figure the only thing left is the hand held switch itself is bad. I put my ohm meter on the switch. It seems to be working. Once again I was wrong.

Back to the wiring schematics with my multi-meter and test light. What do I find? The small power wire inside the solenoid box was on the wrong lug. It was not on the battery positive side of the solenoids. I move this wire around and "BINGO" everything works. This was not a stud on the solenoids that had the battery cables on it. Therefore, I know I did not put it in the wrong place. The Engo factory had simply wired the solenoid box wrong.

So 2 1/2 additional hours were spent trouble shooting the winch from a factory mistake. I doubt they spent anywhere near 2 1/2 hours even building the thing.

Engo quality control is lacking to say the least.

I haven't even put the hook on the synthetic line yet and I'm already having buyer's remorse.
Same thing happened to me. But, I called the factory right away and sent them a photo of the wiring in the box. They called me back and told me which wires to flip and it worked.

·
Registered
599 Posts

I actually could care less what you buy and put on your Jeep. My response can be plugged into many posts on WF.

I find it funny when people buy a cheap product and have to justify it by saying,"It works just fine for me." or anything to that affect. There are quality parts and low quality parts. Some are good deals other are not. I never buy something based on price alone. I take several factors. I would NEVER pay $1600+ for a Warn 8274. I would never pay $3000 for a ECGS axle. I would never pay $1100 for a Posion Spyder cage.

My point is if you do your do diligence you can find good deals on quality components. Of the Chinese winches I have seen in use the Engo is bar far the best. That isn't much of a compliment. All winches will fail. Even Warn. When they do fail what can you then?
What you said was just dickish.

Thanks for the compliment.

And the only justifying being done here is now by you.

Flame on sparky nick.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I relocated the solenoid box to the top of the battery next to a master switch and bought the wireless remote:

That wench doesn't look Chinese at all!

I kid, I kid. :hide:

·
Registered
477 Posts
That wench doesn't look Chinese at all!

I kid, I kid. :hide:
:dance: funny stuff!

Joking aside, I'm looking for a winch myself. I'm just now getting back into the community after a 10 year hiatus (waiting on my 2014 JKUR) I'll have a hard time convincing the wife to let me get a winch for $1000+. I'm hoping these will work! You can't put a winch on the factory bumper can you?

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts

Joking aside, I'm looking for a winch myself. I'm just now getting back into the community after a 10 year hiatus (waiting on my 2014 JKUR) I'll have a hard time convincing the wife to let me get a winch for $1000+. I'm hoping these will work! You can't put a winch on the factory bumper can you?
Any yes, that was my first post here! I guess I should have made it more formal! :wavey:

·
Registered
599 Posts

You can, just need to buy a winch mounting plate. They work and I've heard nothing but good with the customer service

·
Registered
477 Posts
You can mount a winch on the OE bumper, you just need a winch mount that works like this:
Rock Hard 4x4 Parts Part rfprh5010 - JK Factory Bumper Winch Plate

This was just the first Google result, I'm sure there are others out there that may be cheaper/better/etc.

Both the winch and the wench are pretty good, I'm sure my wife will get a laugh out of this :thumb:
Thanks! I'll check it out. I was just at the dealer yesterday looking at them and didn't see how this would work.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I love mine. Istalled easy, seems to work fine and looks good. I have nothing else to compare but I'm not a hard wheeler so I'm sure this will be fine for my workings.

ForumRunner_20130808_090659.jpg

ForumRunner_20130808_090724.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts