Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my CB mounted, tuned, and all hooked up over the weekend. Local offroad club requires it for trips, and I just think its fun to mess with too. It's a really old "USA Co" 900 model radio I got several years ago and had mounted in my Jimmy in college. I found it in a box when moving right after I got the Jeep and decided to hook it up. 3 foot firefly (the lighter version of the firestick with the tuneable tip), quick disco, spring, teraflex tire carrier mount, the firering cable with stud (K4-8R18). For the mount for the radio I found someone on jk-forum :)hide:) who posted this http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8314/7990355737_53032d52e6_b.jpg and thought it was a good idea. a trip to Lowe's and got everything on the hardware aisle.

Anyway, on to my pics:

Ran the ground + antenna through the rubber grommet behind the tire, then inside the tailgate along the factory wires. Ran it through the wire loom so it looks completely factory when buttoned up.

Ground cable goes to a bolt for the tailgate stop, and the antenna cable continues up the roll bar to the front under the cover. I cut across the windshield by going between the top weatherstrip and trim panel, just tucked the cables in there. Wire loom to keep it neat where it comes out to the radio, and found a 90degree adapter for the antenna cable to make it not stick forward into the windshield.

Power goes along the top weatherstrip again, then down the A pillar to the foam hole on the passenger side. It wasn't as easy as the posts made it sound, I kept hitting something solid with my hanger. Eventually got me out under the hood near the battery. 3amp fuse right off the positive terminal of course.

For the antenna, I wanted to make sure I had a good ground. Instead of grinding paint to get bare metal on the mount, I put a ring terminal with a heavy wire between the stud. I made sure I was on the right side of the Firering adapter, and checked continuity and for shorts before connecting anything at the radio.

Just baaaaarely clears the stock spare tire. The spring is on top to allow flex. With the quick disconnect on the top it just hit the tire and wouldn't give if I ran the antenna into something.

Used the SWR meter from radioshack, I got it to about 1.3 on channel 1, 1 on 20, and 1.4 on 40. Close enough for me, I never even bothered tuning it in my previous truck with a cheap mag mount and it was ok for over a year :whistling:. However I usually just listen so maybe that's why.

So first mod complete...

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Speaking of old CB. I was given 2 days ago a brand new, still in box sealed 1978 Audiovox MDU 6000a in dash 40 channel CB. I like it because you don't see it and all you have to do is have a small hole in the dash to hook up the mic mounted control. Not sure how good this CB is but I do like that is can is hidden away once mounted.

Saying that, never installed a CB before. Not sure how to meter in the CB. What do you do to get it in using the SWR meter?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speaking of old CB. I was given 2 days ago a brand new, still in box sealed 1978 Audiovox MDU 6000a in dash 40 channel CB. I like it because you don't see it and all you have to do is have a small hole in the dash to hook up the mic mounted control. Not sure how good this CB is but I do like that is can is hidden away once mounted.

Saying that, never installed a CB before. Not sure how to meter in the CB. What do you do to get it in using the SWR meter?
It's just a box you put in between the CB and the antenna. i bought a jumper cable to go from the CB to the meter.

CB--->meter--->antenna

it's really easy, found this on youtube
How to use a SWR meter - CBradiomagazine.com - YouTube

then you just hook the antenna to the radio and you're set

1 - 3 of 3 Posts