Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my Rancho RS9000xl installed but now I only have about 2.5 inches of uptravel. Is that enough or will my Jeep handle badly on road? image-3423794817.jpg image-2208783085.jpg

image-2340410366.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also are they any other downsides?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Its not bad. It can only get bad if your bump stops arent adjusted properly. My shocks are a bit long for my lift too but you should have no problem. Just expect a lot of droop if those are long shocks.

Also up travel means the amount of travel your axle has going up past ride height. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
This might be a conversation I shoulda had lol I have OEM bump stoppers and I lift my Jeep 3.25" a little while ago, is that safe? Haha

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
This might be a conversation I shoulda had lol I have OEM bump stoppers and I lift my Jeep 3.25" a little while ago, is that safe? Haha
There is nothing unsafe about it. The bumpstop stops your axle from going up and hitting the end of the shocks or it stops your tires from hitting your fenders. If the bumpstops are not properly put in then worst case is that your tires will rub your fender or you can bust a shock.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No that is not good. Bumpstop extensions are needed to avoid bottoming out and damaging your shocks under flex. The only way to determine the proper extension is to cycle your suspension and measure how much extra bumpstop is needed to avoid using your shock as the limiter to uptravel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well then tomorrow my ass is going back to the shop to replace them... been driving it without the right ones for a substantial amount of time now... Needed a excuse to put my boots in as well, guess this is it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
ColoradoTJ,
did you select longer shocks in order to get more droop? Seems like you should have more shaft showing with the jeep level, that shock looks too long to me..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ColoradoTJ, did you select longer shocks in order to get more droop? Seems like you should have more shaft showing with the jeep level, that shock looks too long to me..
Ordered them through 4 wheel parts and that's what they sent me according to my 3" lift. Ranchos website says they are for their 3.5 inch lift so it seems like they should be a little long but I wasn't expecting them to be that long.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ranchos website also says they work for a 2.5" lift so my 3" should be fine. I'm fine with more downtravel I just don't know how much uptravel is suggested for street driving.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Ranchos website also says they work for a 2.5" lift so my 3" should be fine. I'm fine with more downtravel I just don't know how much uptravel is suggested for street driving.
You should be fine. My shocks are about the same and I DD mine too, as long as your bumpstops are setup you are good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts