Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As been stated by anyone/everyone who's purchased one of these tops, I pretty much echo all your comments. I ordered around the 1st of Feb and received the first box about 9 weeks later- the 2nd box a few days after that. But I will say that Tim at ORH is just as nice & accommodating as everyone says. One of my side corner pieces on the cargo top had a slight scratch upon arrival, and Tim is sending me a new one on his own dime without me even asking. He even took 2 of my calls this past Easter weekend (very cool) when I needed help on the install- which leads me to the next point.

The directions pretty much BLOW. There are really only 2 vids on Youtube, and one of them is old- and showcases the older top style. The one I used helped out a lot more, but there is really nothing that shows step-by-step from beginning to end. And as far as the cargo piece...there is ZERO vids showing that- you're on your own.

Like everyone says, the top is SUPER tight when installing- so maybe letting it sit in the sun on a warm day a few hours would help. I also had to separate some metal parts to get the support bar to fit for the cargo top on the roll bar, but just take your time and the results speak for themselves. There are no leaks, and this thing looks killer. Rockin the cargo top till I need the additional space for my drumkit. :happyyes::happyyes::action-smiley:
View attachment 3550906

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry for the sideways pic anyway..

Temp.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wish they had more information on their website.
Is this similar to the Trextop NX as far how the side and back windows attach?

Another thing that concerns me unless they've addressed it, is how the rear seat belts go through the back window. Does that let rain in?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
We're interesting this top also. and I've had to search the wranglerforum archive to located @Lux Jeep set up. But look closely at the seatbelt configuration. We need a follow up on this just to verify if there are openings or one must cut opening in the window or fabric.

However we don't like how the soft top is in two parts (with a seam right down the middle) I'm wondering how difficult it would be to cut back the main coverage area and simply install a bikini top over this and down the rear sports bars.

Edit:

Pow! found it JeepBackBone.Com

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish they had more information on their website.
Is this similar to the Trextop NX as far how the side and back windows attach?

Another thing that concerns me unless they've addressed it, is how the rear seat belts go through the back window. Does that let rain in?
I've never owned or operated a Trektop NX, so I can't comment there. But I can say that the design seems very efficient, uses very few parts and seems to seal very, very well. It's rained 6 out of the last 8 days since I've been using the cargo top, and there hasn't been a speck of leakage that I've noticed.

Lastly, there are slits in the back window of the cargo top portion that let the seat belts go through- so there's no need to cut a hole. I can take a picture of is specifically if folks would like to see it. The only cutting that needs to be done is to the fabric on top of the roll bar (during initial install) where you fit the bar that the cargo top "window" attaches to. This is what I needed help with during install and actually called Tim about. Even in the rain...no water really even comes in those slits either.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I almost ordered this but the overwhelming amount of people that said it severely leaked turned me away. I was basically under the impression that this top was similar to a bikini top in the amount of protection from the rain. Does the duster set-up not leak either?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
@amill109 I think this is one reason we're aiming for the BackBone hard cargo cover.. just not the diamond plate look. They do offer a smooth finish look. I'm just wondering how we this will mate up with half doors. JeepBackBone is ready and able to help us with this installation when we're ready to take a trip to GA. The custom rear window would only be used in extreme heat or cold winters, cause why have half doors in the first place?.. Off the come.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As been stated by anyone/everyone who's purchased one of these tops, I pretty much echo all your comments. I ordered around the 1st of Feb and received the first box about 9 weeks later- the 2nd box a few days after that. But I will say that Tim at ORH is just as nice & accommodating as everyone says. One of my side corner pieces on the cargo top had a slight scratch upon arrival, and Tim is sending me a new one on his own dime without me even asking. He even took 2 of my calls this past Easter weekend (very cool) when I needed help on the install- which leads me to the next point.

The directions pretty much BLOW. There are really only 2 vids on Youtube, and one of them is old- and showcases the older top style. The one I used helped out a lot more, but there is really nothing that shows step-by-step from beginning to end. And as far as the cargo piece...there is ZERO vids showing that- you're on your own.

Like everyone says, the top is SUPER tight when installing- so maybe letting it sit in the sun on a warm day a few hours would help. I also had to separate some metal parts to get the support bar to fit for the cargo top on the roll bar, but just take your time and the results speak for themselves. There are no leaks, and this thing looks killer. Rockin the cargo top till I need the additional space for my drumkit. :happyyes::happyyes::action-smiley:
View attachment 3550906
I purchased my Wrangler with this top installed. I currently do not have any instructions or manuals and can find very little online. Do you know the first couple of steps for removal or rolling the top back? It is very tight, so I am not sure where to begin.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Since this thread is BTT, I have a suggestion
Find some UV protectant spray and put it on the cotton threads on the seams. I had my top for 6 years and after last year, I basically had to resew the entire thing because every seam popped due to the degradation of the cotton thread used from UV bleaching. The middle panel popped the whole seam on the front flange where it connects to the B pillar channel after maybe only 3 years. If the mice in the barn didn't eat the thing this winter, this would have definitely been the last year with it.

Also, I'm surprised to hear you have not had any leaks. Unless he changed the way the B pillar/roll bar channel works, mine would fill that middle channel up with water when it poured and come through the screw holes. Also had an issue leaking in the back area. The rain would roll down the driver side zipper between the back and side window right into the cargo area. It dripped right on some cargo tie down right there, into the jack well. The first time I noticed it, the jack well was literally filled with water. I removed the plug and haven't put it back since.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Is this the same guy from the California Tops fiasco in the past? There was some stuff on the other forum about this guy. Makes great tops, but not much in the way of customer service, from what I read!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I purchased my Wrangler with this top installed. I currently do not have any instructions or manuals and can find very little online. Do you know the first couple of steps for removal or rolling the top back? It is very tight, so I am not sure where to begin.
There should be a fabric loop near the side of the door attached to the front part of the top to remove the plastic blade out of the middle channel. One loop attaches to the front of the top, another loop (on the other side I believe) attaches to the rear part. Again...it'll be tight, so just pull the plastic blade out and work your way across the center towards the other side of the Jeep. Once it's out, just roll it forward tight and use the built-in straps snap the roll tight. You can roll the front part forward and keep the rear in place- as I do this all the time. PM me if you're still having issues, and i'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since this thread is BTT, I have a suggestion
Find some UV protectant spray and put it on the cotton threads on the seams. I had my top for 6 years and after last year, I basically had to resew the entire thing because every seam popped due to the degradation of the cotton thread used from UV bleaching. The middle panel popped the whole seam on the front flange where it connects to the B pillar channel after maybe only 3 years. If the mice in the barn didn't eat the thing this winter, this would have definitely been the last year with it.

Also, I'm surprised to hear you have not had any leaks. Unless he changed the way the B pillar/roll bar channel works, mine would fill that middle channel up with water when it poured and come through the screw holes. Also had an issue leaking in the back area. The rain would roll down the driver side zipper between the back and side window right into the cargo area. It dripped right on some cargo tie down right there, into the jack well. The first time I noticed it, the jack well was literally filled with water. I removed the plug and haven't put it back since.
I've still had very little (if any) issues with this top...and we've had more rain in the DC area all summer than probably parts of the Amazon rain forest. :censored::censored::censored:

That middle channel does tend to fill up with water, but nothing comes in through any holes that you describe. Maybe there was a change in design, as I don't notice any screw holes at all...just the one large hand star/bolt you screw the channel on to secure it to the Jeep. I do notice the water rolling thru the hollow part of this bar and then cascading off the side of the Jeep...but it's outside and my windows are up. I'm guessing that if you open a rear door and weight one side of the Jeep down with that channel bar full of water...it could give you a nice little shower. :bop:

Oh, and I've still noticed zero leaking in the back zipper area you describe...it's still super tight and seals well. Again, we've had nothing but miserable rain all summer it seems (today is the first sunny day) so I actually drove the Vette into work today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There should be a fabric loop near the side of the door attached to the front part of the top to remove the plastic blade out of the middle channel. One loop attaches to the front of the top, another loop (on the other side I believe) attaches to the rear part. Again...it'll be tight, so just pull the plastic blade out and work your way across the center towards the other side of the Jeep. Once it's out, just roll it forward tight and use the built-in straps snap the roll tight. You can roll the front part forward and keep the rear in place- as I do this all the time. PM me if you're still having issues, and i'd be happy to help.
I was able roll the front driver and passenger top up after finding the clips were actually under the rear passenger doors. I have not yet attempted the back and am not really sure everything I need to do to get the back cargo area off. I know there are some screws in the back keeping it in place, but I haven't messed with it yet.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able roll the front driver and passenger top up after finding the clips were actually under the rear passenger doors. I have not yet attempted the back and am not really sure everything I need to do to get the back cargo area off. I know there are some screws in the back keeping it in place, but I haven't messed with it yet.
It's pretty similar to the front in that you pull the velcro off the sides of each door and pull the plastic blade out of the middle channel (just like the front). But instead of rolling it back, those two screws serve as anchor points that the bar sort of hinges into. Hard to explain, but easy to do- just pull the rear part of the top back toward the back of the jeep and it'll come off. The metal part of the bar that the screw is anchoring is U-shaped, with the screw in the groove.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts