Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone have any information on installing 2 High Output Alternators inside my Jeep TJ? Is there a Bracket to do this ? I found 250 Amp Alternators that claim to fit the TJ. The reason I was thinking about installing 2 high output alternators is because I have a winch, A little over 2000watts of LEDs and Ill be installing a 5000 Watt RMS (10k total)Class D Mono Amplifier. I believe running this amp alone would stress out 1 alt. Any ideas?

Thank You

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
So you'll be running a winch, 2,000 watts of LED lights, and a 5,000 RMS watt amplifier all at once?

As a former audio guy whose company provided very high-end audio equipment for concert venues, stage productions, and stadiums, I don't understand why you feel you need 5,000 RMS watts for a Jeep. We didn't need 5,000 watts for a large theater production.

Good luck with your and everyone else's hearing around if you crank it up to even 10% of its 5000 RMS watt capability.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you'll be running a winch, 2,000 watts of LED lights, and a 5,000 RMS watt amplifier all at once?

As a former audio guy whose company provided very high-end audio equipment for concert venues, stage productions, and stadiums, I don't understand why you feel you need 5,000 RMS watts for a Jeep. We didn't need 5,000 watts for a large theater production.

Good luck with your and everyone else's hearing around if you crank it up to even 10% of its 5000 RMS watt capability.
Well I recently came into a prototype of a competition grade car subwoofer (621 oz magnet, and rated for that wattage I posted) so that 5000RMS is for my subwoofer alone. Most of the time it wont be pushing anything near that. But occasionally I do go to small audio comps and I'd really like to have the power to push the sub to its rated power for a song or two. I was just wondering if it was possible/easy to install 2 alts, I know its possible in a few cars and trucks but I didn't see anything where someone installed 2 into a TJ. I'm more worried about the audio system then I am about the lights and winch as I already have a really good battery that can power those with the Jeep off.

·
Registered
15,683 Posts
Look up on board welder sad they use a 2nd belt driver alternator so they have already worked thru the brackets and belt drive

If there is room for a add on belt driven York ac compressor there is room for another alt

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'd be more worried about your hearing or the stuff walking away than 2 alternators.
You can order 3/4 ton trucks with dual alts.

·
Registered
565 Posts
"a little over 2000 watts of LED's"

a 50" Rigid LED lightbar is less then 280 watts...are you planning on running 6 or 7 of these?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
I'm more worried about the audio system then I am about the lights and winch as I already have a really good battery that can power those with the Jeep off.
You won't run that winch long without the engine running. Winches can easily draw over 400 amps on a tough pull.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
a 50" Rigid LED lightbar is less then 280 watts...are you planning on running 6 or 7 of these?
THIS.

2000w of LEDs is going to involve more lights than the average international airport. It would be more lights than the entire Las Vegas strip. Hell, it would even be more lights than Clark Griswold puts on his house at Christmas. Seriously.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i have 2 tri row led bars and 2 smaller quad row led bars. .Also i came across Limitless Lithium batteries. I was told by a few people 1 of these at 40ah would power everything i have without needing multiple alts(it has the capacity of 4 normal car batteries). Also i plan to weld the amp in place so it doesnt grow legs and walk off. Thanks for everyones replies.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
There are a "few people" you're listening to who don't have a clue about electrical/electronic devices. One 40AH lithium ion battery doesn't have the capacity of my TJ's single 68 AH AGM battery, let alone 4 of them. You're being led completely astray on several subjects. If there's one subject I know well it's electrical and electronic circuits and devices. I worked in electronics for literally 50 years before retiring last year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are a "few people" you're listening to who don't have a clue about electrical/electronic devices. One 40AH lithium ion battery doesn't have the capacity of my TJ's single 68 AH AGM battery, let alone 4 of them. You're being led completely astray on several subjects. If there's one subject I know well it's electrical and electronic circuits and devices. I worked in electronics for literally 50 years before retiring last year.
These are the batteries im talking about, http://skyhighcaraudio.com/40ah-lithium-battery/
The few who told me these work are ones that use these type of batteries in audio competitions where they usually need 4-8 batteries for powering 10-20k watts but can use 1 or 2 of these types and its plenty (40ah,60ah,80ah). From what they said its something to do with the chemical compound that lithiums use. Im not an electrical guy so i just go by what people say.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
You're going to spend$1100 on a battery?
The Wrangler forum is probably not the best place for advice if you truly are into audio SPL competition....
While mixing audio and jeep aren't my thing, I still would think this is the forum to start to ask about how to go about a mod like how to install two alternators.

Many of the jeepers here may not have ever done it and may not ever want to, but I'm sure they could figure out how it could be done and recommend a way to go about it if it's a first of it's kind type of thing and there's no advice out there on it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
These are the batteries im talking about, 40ah Lithium Battery - Sky High Car Audio
The few who told me these work are ones that use these type of batteries in audio competitions where they usually need 4-8 batteries for powering 10-20k watts but can use 1 or 2 of these types and its plenty (40ah,60ah,80ah). From what they said its something to do with the chemical compound that lithiums use. Im not an electrical guy so i just go by what people say.
40 AH is 40 AH whether it's lead acid or lithium ion. You need to stop swallowing everything you read or are told by your fellow audio enthusiasts.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That's true. 40AH is 40AH, but Li-ion can give full power longer before dropping off. Just don't do this with LiPo batts....*poof* lots of fire!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Might be talking about lithium polymer batteries, lipo. My laptop battery is good for about eight hours.

An ambulance, tow truck, police car, etc has a 200 amp alternator for all of their work lights and such. It should power everything you have.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts