Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another forum (jk-forum) and one of their stickies says that installing a lift voids your warranty.

This absolutely scares me. I just want to do a simple lift. However a lift that voids so much money makes no sense to me. This really makes me scared from buying a Jeep.

Any thoughts on this matter?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
en1ma said:
I was reading another forum (jk-forum) and one of their stickies says that installing a lift voids your warranty.

This absolutely scares me. I just want to do a simple lift. However a lift that voids so much money makes no sense to me. This really makes me scared from buying a Jeep.

It'll only void the warranty on the parts you modify. Anything suspension wise they won't cover. They have to prove that your lift was the root of the problem to void the warranty on that one issue. With the bigger tires they probably won't honor a warranty on suspension or axle components but your drivetrain and electricals will still be covered. Not your driveshaft tho. They could say that broke cuz of the lift if anything happened

·
Administrator
42,447 Posts
It'll only void the warranty on the parts you modify. Anything suspension wise they won't cover. They have to prove that your lift was the root of the problem to void the warranty on that one issue. With the bigger tires they probably won't honor a warranty on suspension or axle components but your drivetrain and electricals will still be covered. Not your driveshaft tho. They could say that broke cuz of the lift if anything happened
Ya, what he said. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts

Yes, my thoughts are if you have your dealer install a lift that's within the allowable limits, you can probably slip by the warranty gods forever. I would ignore that sticky... I know and do business with the dealer mentioned.. and no, they don't like working on vehicles on that roll in for warranty work that has extreme lifts.

I think that became a personal issue...

On a positive note... ask your dealer if it will impact your factory warranty if you have them install a Mopar or Rancho lift. A lot of this is hinged around liability issues. On my 1991 XJ, I had a Rancho lift installed by a dealer that sold them... and I retained my factory warranty.

This was only after Rancho was bought my Monroe...

Don't give up...

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
What I've noticed is that if a dealer does the lift and you go through them for the lift, under most circumstances they'll still honor the warranty, but dealers can vary. Some will not cover the parts, only the labor.

I talked to my dealer and they are absolutely adamant about going doing a Rough Country lift on mine. They say that's the lift they normally use, they've never had any issues with them, and those are the ones they warranty. I've asked about other brands like AEV and Rock Crawler and they told me the Rough Country lifts are the easiest to install and that's what they use.

Personally, I've just decided to skip that. I don't want crappy, low-level grade suspension components from China on my vehicle. Chinese-made parts don't have to meet the same high standards that American parts do.

In the end, I'll probably wind up in an otherwise stock Jeep, save for rock rails. I'm not interested in dealing with worrying about headaches like whether wheels are gonna rub, cutting pinch welds, bending axles, blah blah blah...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
If you take the owner's manual verbatim, using oil other than exactly what is printed in the owner's manual (5W20 for most people) can void your warranty also. But people on the forums do it all the time.

The key is that it CAN void your warranty. That doesn't mean it will. Depends on your dealership and how easy they are to do business with. Same goes for suspension lifts. They may not have a problem with it at all when your heater core stops working...but if you have a CV joint go out or a vibration issues develops...you can forget getting help from the dealer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, my thoughts are if you have your dealer install a lift that's within the allowable limits, you can probably slip by the warranty gods forever. I would ignore that sticky... I know and do business with the dealer mentioned.. and no, they don't like working on vehicles on that roll in for warranty work that has extreme lifts.

I think that became a personal issue...

On a positive note... ask your dealer if it will impact your factory warranty if you have them install a Mopar or Rancho lift. A lot of this is hinged around liability issues. On my 1991 XJ, I had a Rancho lift installed by a dealer that sold them... and I retained my factory warranty.

This was only after Rancho was bought my Monroe...

Don't give up...

The dealer I was talking to says they only do the Mopar lift. It costs about $1.3k-1.5k for that. It seemed a little ridiculous to pay $1.3-1.5k for a 2.5" mostly cosmetic lift. Other "Jeep" shops in the area would install a 2.5" lift for $500-800.

Maybe it's worth it to get the Mopar one though I guess... if it's covered through Dealer.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
The dealer I was talking to says they only do the Mopar lift. It costs about $1.3k-1.5k for that. It seemed a little ridiculous to pay $1.3-1.5k for a 2.5" mostly cosmetic lift. Other "Jeep" shops in the area would install a 2.5" lift for $500-800.

Maybe it's worth it to get the Mopar one though I guess... if it's covered through Dealer.
I guess you need to ask yourself if the savings would be worth the risk on getting flagged in Chrysler's system?

Any dealer can flag you... not all are mod friendly.

Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess you need to ask yourself if the savings would be worth the risk on getting flagged in Chrysler's system?

Good luck whatever you decide.

$500 is not worth getting flagged, no. Not at all.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
en1ma said:
$500 is not worth getting flagged, no. Not at all.
I've never heard of someone getting flagged for lifts. I have several friends who did lifts themselves and still went in for warranty work. A lot of people on this forum do it too. You could always find a mod friendly dealer to service it at if you are worried. The biggest sign is lifted keeps for sale on their lot

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
If you're really worried about the warranty, and not too concerned about the type of lift look at 4Wheel Parts. They offer warranty coverage if it's not covered by the manufacturer on certain lifts. Just something to check into.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It totally depends on the dealer. Some are cool with it and some are not. Some may even try and say that they won't replace a defective headlight because your lift voided your warranty. Other may replace a drive shaft over and over again with no questions.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Ugh . . . this question comes up constantly . . . . :facepalm:

Keep going in the sticky. The dealer was eventually forced to go back on their position. Nobody seems to notice that though, and they just keep posting in the thread like it's the gospel truth.

As stated, NO, a lift doesn't void your warranty. Read your warranty manual--it's short and can be downloaded for free online.

Everything you need to know can be stated in four parts:

First, your jeep is covered by Chrysler as it left the factory. Aftermarket parts are not covered. Damage caused by aftermarket parts is not covered. Period. Otherwise, your warranty remains intact. So, for example, your lift destroys your driveshafts? The shafts aren't covered by Chrysler. You install a lift and your radio quits working? Radio is still covered by Chrysler.

Second, whether those aftermarket parts are "mopar" parts or installed by a dealer MAKES NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. None. You are no better off vis-a-vis your warranty from Chrysler with a dealer-installed Mopar lift than you are with a TeraFlex lift you install in your driveway. Mopar lifts are considered "performance parts" and come with virtually no warranty whatsoever.

Third, the MANUFACTURER of the lift and/or the INSTALLER of the lift can provide THEIR OWN warranties. When a dealer does "warranty work" on a lift the dealer installed, that's what's happening. Chrysler doesn't need to pay for that--the dealer does. Most reputable 4x4 shops should offer similar warranty service.

Fourth, this brings us to proper terminology. Your warranty is hardly ever "voided." Instead, things you do may cause parts of your jeep to no longer be "covered" by your warranty. Only odometer tampering "voids" your warranty.

Right.

On my 1991 XJ, I had a Rancho lift installed by a dealer that sold them... and I retained my factory warranty.
Not necessarily false, but sounds misguided if I'm reading it correctly.

You certainly retained all of the factory warranty not related to the lift or any damage it caused. The radio, the engine, the paint, the seat stitching, etc. all retained the factory warranty. Of course, that had nothing to do with the dealer doing the install and would have been the case if you installed the lift yourself.

Further, you certainly did NOT retain any factory warranty on the lift or any damage it caused. The coil springs, the shocks, etc. Nobody--not even the dealer--can extend the manufacturer's factory warranty obligations past what they were when the vehicle left the manufacturing facility.

Even if you received "warranty work" on the suspension at the dealer where you bought the vehicle, and even if the dealer may have duped Chrysler into paying for it, that doesn't mean Chrysler actually HAD TO pay for it. That was the dealer's responsibility.

Yes, my thoughts are if you have your dealer install a lift that's within the allowable limits, you can probably slip by the warranty gods forever.
What I've noticed is that if a dealer does the lift and you go through them for the lift, under most circumstances they'll still honor the warranty, but dealers can vary. Some will not cover the parts, only the labor.

I talked to my dealer and they are absolutely adamant about going doing a Rough Country lift on mine. They say that's the lift they normally use, they've never had any issues with them, and those are the ones they warranty.
Again, not necessarily false, but sounds somewhat misguided.

Regardless of what brand is used or who installs it, Chrysler (through the dealer) MUST warranty any defects not related to the lift. Absolutely must. This is required by law and is clear in your warranty manual.

If the dealer installs a lift, they will also of course typically warranty the install of that lift and will seek reimbursement derivatively from the manufacturer of the lift for any defective lift components. Obviously, if you don't have the dealer install the lift, they won't do this.

However, that is true for 4x4 shops generally. If they install, they'll warranty the install and seek reimbursement derivatively from the manufacturer for any defective components.

So again, it all gets you to the same spot--there's no advantage to a dealer-installed "Mopar" lift.

If you take the owner's manual verbatim, using oil other than exactly what is printed in the owner's manual (5W20 for most people) can void your warranty also. But people on the forums do it all the time.

The key is that it CAN void your warranty. That doesn't mean it will.
No. The wrong grade oil means your factory warranty will no longer "cover" any damage to your engine internals resulting from the use of the wrong grade oil. The rest of your warranty remains intact, and is not "void." I can swap out my 5w-20 for maple syrup, and still be entitled to warranty coverage on my paint.

Yes it is ridiculous, especially since Mopar lifts are just rebranded aftermarket lifts. And no, it's generally not worth it to get it through the dealer. Again, the lift and any damage it does will still not be under your Chrysler warranty. Your DEALER will warranty it, not Chrysler.

Yes, they can flag you, but it all comes back--again--to the lift CAUSING the damage about which you are complaining. All a "flag" does is make them look for that issue. They cannot deny warranty claims carte blanche simply because some other tech at a prior dealership noticed your jeep has a lift.

And the fact that it's a dealer installed Mopar lift is irrelevant--if you had your dealer in California install a 4" Mopar lift, then moved to Connecticut, and then took your jeep into a Connecticut dealer for warranty work, you still run the risk of being "flagged" and are still in the exact same position as if the lift was installed in your driveway by your Uncle Cletus.

Specifically, the lift install would only need to be covered by the installing dealer (in California), the lift components would only need to be covered by the manufacturer (never Mopar), and neither Chrysler nor the Connecticut dealer would have any obligation to cover any damage caused by the lift.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Keep going in the sticky. The dealer was eventually forced to go back on their position. Nobody seems to notice that though, and they just keep posting in the thread like it's the gospel truth.
Was this for the engine tick? I seem to remember seeing someone having the dealer trying to deny their warranty on the Pentastar head tick because of a lift.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Was this for the engine tick? I seem to remember seeing someone having the dealer trying to deny their warranty on the Pentastar head tick because of a lift.
:rofl:

Perhaps something like that was addressed in that lengthy sticky, but I was referring to the OP's problem in that sticky. As I recall, he brought it in with a cracked manifold, and the dealer told him it was caused by his lift and attempted to flag the jeep as inelligible for warranty coverage generally.

Eventually, through legal wrangling and strongly worded letters and phone calls, the dealer relented, the flag was removed, and the manifold was repaired.

What you've identified is a more general problem. As noted above, warranty coverage can only be denied when the problem complained of is caused by an aftermarket modification (often a lift). Well, who makes the initial decision about whether a mod caused or contributed to the problem? A dealer tech does.

How you dispute an adverse tech conclusion can be important.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When ordering my Wranglers I dealt with two dealerships.
One offered a great price, no B.S. haggling and did almost everything over the internet. Second dealer offered a fair price, no B.S. haggling, just “this is was we can do and how we will do it.”
The biggest difference came down to how they answered this question. “How do you guys feel about mods?

First dealership responded by saying “modifications could potentially void your warranty. “ Having married a lawyer, I knew the answer to that wasn’t so cut and dry. I then asked specifically about a 2.5” lift. They said "they’ve done them and there hasn’t been any problems. Although, the only parts they could cover with warranty and labor were MOPAR parts."

Second dealer responded by saying “we’ve never had a problem with a quality aftermarket part, installed correctly affecting the warranty on any other part. But If you bring in a 4” lift from Jimmy’s muffler shop to have it installed we only cover the labor if the labor was at fault. Getting a replacement part would be entirely left between Jimmy’s muffler shop and you. MOPAR parts she explained when installed at the dealership would be covered at any dealership as if they were any other part of the Jeep the only difference would be the warranty lengths on some of those parts are different. Lifetime vs 100000 miles for example." "Supposedly MOPAR certifies these parts as causing no problems with any other part of the vehicle before they become MOPAR so there’s no chance of being told “sorry sir, your 2.5” lift put more strain on the engine and now it ticks and your warranty is void”

I ordered my Jeeps through the second dealer. Rather deal with people who have fair and reasonable expectations of others because people they tend to expect the same of themselves

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
First dealership responded by saying “modifications could potentially void your warranty. “ Having married a lawyer, I knew the answer to that wasn’t so cut and dry.
The dealer is wrong, though it is pretty cut-and-dry as set out above.

I then asked specifically about a 2.5” lift. They said "they’ve done them and there hasn’t been any problems. Although, the only parts they could cover with warranty and labor were MOPAR parts."
False. Dealers--like any installer of aftermarket parts--can warranty the labor on any aftermarket part they install, regardless of whether it's a Mopar part. Most dealerships in fact don't use Mopar parts when they install lifts, and they warranty the installs. As do most 4x4 shops. The manufacturer warranties the part. Chrysler warranties none of it.

Second dealer responded by saying “we’ve never had a problem with a quality aftermarket part, installed correctly affecting the warranty on any other part.
That would be typical, yes. Most of the time, properly installed lifts (especially smaller ones) really don't affect anything.

But If you bring in a 4” lift from Jimmy’s muffler shop to have it installed we only cover the labor if the labor was at fault. Getting a replacement part would be entirely left between Jimmy’s muffler shop and you.
Also true. And this would be of any 4x4 shop too--you just usually pay more for labor at the dealer.

MOPAR parts she explained when installed at the dealership would be covered at any dealership as if they were any other part of the Jeep the only difference would be the warranty lengths on some of those parts are different. Lifetime vs 100000 miles for example."
False. Absolutely, unequivocally, 100%, beyond any doubt false. Mopar lifts are "performance parts" and come with virtually no warranty whatsoever. It says so right in the performance parts catalog. This is a common misstatement of fact used by dealers to get you to pay crazy markups for "Mopar" lifts. It borders on fraudulent IMO.

"Supposedly MOPAR certifies these parts as causing no problems with any other part of the vehicle before they become MOPAR so there’s no chance of being told “sorry sir, your 2.5” lift put more strain on the engine and now it ticks and your warranty is void”
False. Again, Mopar lifts are "performance parts" and come with virtually no warranty whatsoever. They are absolutely not "certified" in any way as "causing no problems." The user assumes all risk of their use. In Chrysler's eyes, they are equivalent to any other company's part you order from a Quadratec catalog.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts