Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone found a write up on installing a full center oe console for a 97 tj manual transmission? I always like to find out as much info as I can before I dive in.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
not much to it. I bet I even know exactly what yours looks like! LOL you will need to get the shift boot and shift boot bezel if you don't already have it. There is one bolt that goes in where the cup holders are, and two that go inside the storage compartment to the floor. IIRC there was also one or two that went into the ebrake bracket from the passenger side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not much to it. I bet I even know exactly what yours looks like! LOL you will need to get the shift boot and shift boot bezel if you don't already have it. There is one bolt that goes in where the cup holders are, and two that go inside the storage compartment to the floor. IIRC there was also one or two that went into the ebrake bracket from the passenger side.
Lol. I bet you do. Thanks. How about the shift knob and the 4wd "knob"? How do I get them off?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
The transfer shifter does not need to come off. The stock shift knob for the transmission does. To remove it you just take a small screwdriver and work the shift pattern out of the top of the knob. Then there is a 15mm (wrench size) nut that holds it on. Remove that nut then unscrew the knob.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The transfer shifter does not need to come off. The stock shift knob for the transmission does. To remove it you just take a small screwdriver and work the shift pattern out of the top of the knob. Then there is a 15mm (wrench size) nut that holds it on. Remove that nut then unscrew the knob.
Still haven't had time to get started on the console Sarge. Leaving for another week tomorrow. Hopefully will do it when I get back.

·
Commercial Member
606 Posts
This is a super easy job. I took out my half console (97 TJ) and installed a full one I got on eBay ( after I painted it).

You will probably have to remove your driver's side seat, because the full console is too long to get in straight, so you'll have to angle it to get it over the e- brake, 4WD lever and stick (if you have a manual).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts