Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it has probably been beat to death, I wanted to share my experiences so far...(not done yet as of this writing)

My Sahara did not have the Uconnect option with the factory Inifinity sound system for this trim level. (nor the nav stereo). I like the simplicity of using my phone for navigation and streaming audio...the Nokia Lumina's navigator is pretty good, and I am used to it. So until now I have been plugging it in to the AUX port on the front of the stock stereo. Unfortunately, the AUX port's contacts have worn and the 3.5mm pin doesn't seat securely anymore; every bump causes crackles or one channel to drop. I figure it is well past time to go bluetooth.

To add the Uconnect was too spendy and a PITA to have to go to the dealer to have the ECM flashed....for the same money, I reasoned, I could go with a more feature-rich aftermarket stereo, but still on a budget.

So here is the lineup:

Boss Audio BV9364B from Amazon: $148
HDE E336 Rear View Camera: $19.99
Scosche CR4000A wiring harness adapter from Walmart:$39.97

I dug in on saturday expecting a couple hours of installation. six hours later I am not in a workable state..... :(

The first challenge was fitting the new standard double DIN unit into the dash. I had wrongly assumed that the Jeep has a standard 2xDIN space....it doesn't. There is a plastic panel (under the top cap where the compass is) that prevents a 2xDIN unit from fitting because of it's angle and there are ridges on it's underside which protrude down. I ended up using an old soldering iron to 'cut' it out.

Next, there is a metal brace/bracket in the back of the opening (closest to the firewall) which has four horizontally protruding arms about 2" long which keep the new unit from sliding far enough in to make the faceplate flush with the dash panel. I tried to bend them out of the way, but that did not work, so I ended up using a grinder and cutting them off. Now the 2xDIN unit fit in.

EXCEPT...the faceplate and mounting screw holes are narrower on the aftermarket unit than on the OEM. The dash opening leaves about an inch of open space on either side of the face of the new stereo (but fits ok on the top and bottom edges);

The mounting bracket's screws on the new unit are about 3/4" too far inboard of the OEM mounting screw holes; I though about fabricating new, wider brackets, but just get moving along I used the brackets that came with the unit and drove a couple screws thru them directly into the plastic of the dash to hold it in place, thinking the dash trim will help keep it in. I later found that Scosche makes an mounting/trim piece, which I ordered, but it hasn't arrived yet...will note the out come of this when I get it.

Dodge Nitro Double DIN Dash Kit | Jeep Wrangler Double Din Dash Kit | Dash Kits | 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 | CR1291B | by Scosche
$19.95

So this covers the physical installation.....now on to wiring...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Phase II: Wiring

The Boss Audio unit I bought has RCA 2 a/v outputs and 2 a/v input as well as a rear camera input. Based on this, I decided I would run an a/v OUT cable to the rear of the cargo area incase I wanted to bring a monitor to a tailgate party or movie night while camping. I have this tucked between the subwoofer and the tub.

I ran an a/v input cable from the center console box up to the stereo, in case we ever need to jack in a game or mobile device or whatever.

The camera I mounted to the center of the rear bumper and tapped into the passenger side back-up light for the camera power and the screen trigger. One great thing about the camera is that the 15' video feed cable it comes with comes prewired with an extra 18 gauge wire that you need to connect to the head unit so that it triggers the screen to change to the backup camera mode.

I didn't get too fancy, just ran the cables as straight as possible under the carpet and up the center under the center console.

The DVD function is supposed to be wired to the parking brake, but as is well documented, if you ground that wire, it will allow the playback of video while moving. I don't really care to watch a movie while driving, but want to be able to put something on for the kids when traveling (Check your local laws....).

The Scosche CR4000A wiring harness claims to be the correct adapter for a 2007 Chrysler/Jeep with factory sub and amp. The 'B' socket fits the Jeep factory stereo plug. the rest of the wires are pretty straight forward to connect to the new stereo's harness. Only two wires did not have corresponding mates: The Boss stereo does not have dimming via the vehicle lighting, so the 'illumination' from the Scosche harness was unused; the 'power antenna/accessory' wire from the stereo did not have a corresponding wire on the Scosche harness, since the antenna is not retractable and the amp is switched by the ECM.

As of this writing, the amp/speakers do not turn on. I have contacted Scosche and they gave me a procedure to 're-initialize' the adapter module. I will give it a try, but based on some online reviews, it may be a continued issue. To execute the steps, I will need to open the dash back up and pull the head unit to get to the adapter module which is now tucked way the heck back inside the dash. Next, turn everything off, pull the key out, open a door, unplug the module, close the door, sit inside for ten minutes, reconnect the module, then start the engine. This supposedly 're initializes' the adapter for the CAN bus data stream...

I still shake my head in wonder why the heck Chrysler decided to incorporate the audio system into the CAN bus....? Maybe I am just old school...

Another forum member recommended a PAC adapter, and will consider that if I cannot resolve the Scosche adapter....the PAC is ~ $100.......so will keep that as a last resort.

The one last thing was adapting the antenna. There are several aftermarket adapters out there.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PHASE III: The BOSS Audio BV9364B

OK, admittedly it is not a top end unit at $150. But it has a touchscreen; A2DP Bluetooth for audio and hands free; DVD player; backup camera functionality; and multiple a/v connectivity (in/out).

I get the thing wired up and installed, and start playing with it. Since, as noted in the last post, the Jeep speakers are not powering up, I plugged an external standalone speaker into one of the a/v out ports...and viola..I get audio.

I tried playing with the remote control that comes with the unit, but it doesn't seem to work well...may just be a weak battery, but not a prob...who the heck uses a remote in a vehicle? All the necessary functions are available directly from the deck.

Anyway, I played a DVD and it worked fine, except the default encoding on the move was Dolby 5.1....I couldn't hear anything until I changed the movie mode audio playback to 2 channel Stereo, which makes sense...it is a car stereo, not a home theater...

I then proceeded to test the BT functions. The paring was straight forward, and I was able to listen to my voice mail just fine. I then started Pandora on my phone and the audio was jacked. :atomic: The playback was choppy...the sound is very choppy.

To rule out streaming issues with Pandora, I played some tracks stored locally on the phone, but still the same.

I went thru all the possible settings on my phone, and the few settings on the unit, but it did not resolve. I got my wife's iPhone and iPad and tried them. still the same. Submitted a ticket to Boss Audio on Saturday, but have not heard back yet. I guess I need to call them.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I didn't read all of the above in depth, but if you would have checked with Crutchfield, you would have known in advance which adapters you needed to install your aftermarket head unit in a Wrangler...whatever year. The modification of the crossbar in my '13 took me about a minute with a sharp knife...seems like using a soldering iron to cut plastic would have made a mess of it. I trimmed it...did not remove it. I did, however, remove the metal piece that you apparently cut. It's not necessary...at least in a '13. It sounds like you didn't do much research before buying your new stuff. I installed a Pioneer NEX and certainly didn't find it "challenging." Everything went together perfectly and worked as it should when first powered up. While you may pay a few dollars more for equipment from Crutchfield, their customer service and installation instructions are second to none and end up saving time in the long run. It all depends on what you think your time is worth.

Reactions: DIRT BOY

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't read all of the above in depth, but if you would have checked with Crutchfield, you would have known in advance which adapters you needed to install your aftermarket head unit in a Wrangler...whatever year. The modification of the crossbar in my '13 took me about a minute with a sharp knife...seems like using a soldering iron to cut plastic would have made a mess of it. I trimmed it...did not remove it. I did, however, remove the metal piece that you apparently cut. It's not necessary...at least in a '13. It sounds like you didn't do much research before buying your new stuff. I installed a Pioneer NEX and certainly didn't find it "challenging." Everything went together perfectly and worked as it should when first powered up. While you may pay a few dollars more for equipment from Crutchfield, their customer service and installation instructions are second to none and end up saving time in the long run. It all depends on what you think your time is worth.
Thanks for the input~

I guess my rant is more about the fact that the wiring adapter product I chose at first (to save a buck) specifically and clearly stated it was for this application, then when it did not work, the customer support was ineffectual and scripted.

FWIW I did order the correct PAC model..it's on its way....but the Boss Audio head has BT Streaming issues. Working with their customer support was pretty good...turns out the head unit has an unusual issue with chopping the streaming BT audio but not the BT handsfree....? weird. Replacement for that on the way too.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=33C2F8A9448D1849!32515&authkey=!AOdS8buJ4a5tAvI&ithint=video%2cmp4

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update: I received and installed the the PAC C2R-CHY4 adapter/harness, and I now get sound thru the factory speakers. :) Although, as probably noted on other aftermarket stereo installs, the stereo cannot control the fader, so the all speakers are on at the same level. (the harness's instrux say to connect the stereo's front speaker leads to the PAC's rear speaker wires...this works and all 7 speakers of Infinity system are on). Not an issue to me, I rarely if ever have change the fader settings.

I also had to exchange the Boss Audio head...the original worked ok in all modes except BT streaming music from my mobile device...even thought the BT handsfree phone sounded fine...?

Their tech support was stumped, but suggested swapping it out, which did in fact resolve. weird.

Now the next issue....the Scosche DDIN bracket/trim pieces don't fit. :( When attached to the head unit, the mounting screws to the dash line up perfectly, however the width of the fillers is too wide for the dash panel cutout by about 1/4 -1/2 inch. Vertically they fit snug...horziontally they will not go thru the panels opening.

Have a set of Metra bracket trims on order now. Although I saw a comment on Amazon reviews that the Wrangler's cutout is not a true DDIN and some cutting or sanding will be need to enlarge the opening.....? can anyone verify or refute that?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Have a set of Metra bracket trims on order now. Although I saw a comment on Amazon reviews that the Wrangler's cutout is not a true DDIN and some cutting or sanding will be need to enlarge the opening.....? can anyone verify or refute that?
You have already answered your own question. See your first post. The ONLY alteration needed in the sub-dash is the trimming of a small lip off of the crosspiece at the top of the radio opening. If you want to make a mess of it, use a Dremel, sander, hack saw, acetylene torch, axe, samurai sword, chain saw, or even a soldering iron. If you want to do it easily and cleanly and in about one minute, just use a sharp knife such as a carpet knife/boxcutter. It's soft plastic. Anyone looking at the alteration on mine would never even know the sub-dash was altered. Again, I will say to anyone purchasing a new head unit for their JK, Crutchfield automatically puts everything you need for the installation (brackets, adapters, etc.,) in your shopping cart if you specify the vehicle. You can try to go the el cheapo route and end up with a lot of wrong pieces, headaches, and a week-long install process. Unless you are buying a complete plug and play unit such as the Raxiom claims to be, at least go to Crutchfield and put your head unit in a shopping cart...then make a notation of all of the part numbers for the install...THEN maybe try to find those parts at a lower price elsewhere. It's common knowledge that the JK dash opening is not an exact double DIN. It takes the Metra 95-6511 dash kit for a PERFECT fit in a matter of minutes. Oh...and by the way...Crutchfield includes the dash kit and antenna adapters for FREE with your head unit purchase.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have already answered your own question. See your first post. The ONLY alteration needed in the sub-dash is the trimming of a small lip off of the crosspiece at the top of the radio opening. If you want to make a mess of it, use a Dremel, sander, hack saw, acetylene torch, axe, samurai sword, chain saw, or even a soldering iron.
Thanks for the feedback. This is not the sub dash I am speaking about. it is the opening in the dash panel (the part you have to pull off that has the a/c vents, controls and window switches). When I screwed on the Scosche bracket, the holes in the 'wings' lined up just fine with the screw holes which held the OEM stereo. So with the unit mounted in the cavity, I went to replace the dash panel and found the stereo, with the bracket (which has 'fillers' for the gaps on the left and right side of the stereo's face) will not fit thru the panel. they are about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch too wide...

I contacted Scosche today about it, and this is their reply:

Our kits are designed to fit and mount standard single and double din stereos. A-brand head units that fall under the “standard size” category are Sony, Pioneer, Alpine, etc. The Specs from Boss Audio indicates the radio require a mounting width of 7.25” making this radio an oversized head unit. Standard head unit’s maximum mounting requirements are up to 7”, sounds like any installation kit you install with this radio would require you to modify your factory bezel. I would recommend contacting Boss Audio to see if they have recommendations for kits that would accommodate their head units, provided below is the tech support line for Boss Audio 805-751-4853

I don't know that I fully get this...? The screw holes to secure the unit to the dash lined up exactly when the brackets were screwed onto the sides of the head unit. If the unit is a 'non-standard' width, I would think the mounting screws (to the dash) would be off? They are not oval slots on the mounting flange..they are single holes. It just seems that the fillers are just a bit too wide.

Anyway, I will see what happens with the Metra bracket.

Again, I agree with your points about Crutchfield, but I am already headed down this path and am seeing it to the end, just because I like to tinker and enjoy a challenge. Scratch that....actually I work in quality assurance and am fascinated by how far off track things can get.......The main sticking point being that for each of these products, it was advertised and labeled as specific to my application.

to be continued :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having quite a few problems. I know Crutchfield is getting quite the promo on this thread (and is usually a tad more expensive, probably why they give you the adapters "free").

I ordered my front and rear speakers from there and it gives you everything you need and will even tell you on the site if any modifications are needed and how "severe" they may be.

I know it doesn't help you in the current situation, but maybe someone reading this will be helped out by it.

All the best notdeankane, hopefully it gets resolved fairly easily! Keep us updated. =)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally complete. The replacement Boss unit still had BT streaming issues: there is a distinct and constant hiss and continuous signal drops (choppiness) on audio playback. Returned the unit and bought a Pioneer AVHX2700BS for $240 on Amazon. No BT issues at all.

Found that the Pioneer unit's chasis is smaller front to back, so is not as tight a fit in the space with all the cabling on the back.

What I learned about the brackets is that I had them on wrong on the Boss unit. Since the Boss was longer (front to back) it protruded out of the dash farther...so I put the brackets a little farther back on the chasis (so it would mount flush to the dash panel). BUT the front flanges of the bracket are designed to fit exactly into the bezel ring of the stereo's face with a slight overlap....when the brackets were mounted farther back, the flanges lay against the side of the chasis and push the flanges outward making it too wide for the cutout on the panel. If I had removed the extra metal bracket in the back of the stereo cavity, rather than cut of the tabs, the oversized Boss would have slid farther in, hence flush with the brackets installed flush to the front of the stereo and it all would have fit. Lesson learned.

As an aside, the Metra's brackets fit fine too, but the filler trim panels have a gap (hollow space created by the curve of the trim...you see it looking laterally on either side of the face of the stereo)...I didn't like the aesthetics of this, so ended up using the Scosche bracket which doesn't have that gap.

To review the Pioneer AVHX2700BS, I really like the unit. 50w/ch really revitalized the factory infinity speakers...I can hear the soundbar speakers now from the front seat. Note the aftermarket stereo's cannot control the CAN/amp fading, so all speakers are on the same level (as per PAC's instrux).

On the up side, the Pioneer had illumination dimming connected in thru the PAC harness, as well as selectable colors for the button/controls. There is only a set of four different screen backgrounds, but they have different color schemes as well.

The interface of the Pioneer unit is intuitive; most functions are easily accessible in a logical way. Plus the iconography and text are easier to read for us who don't have good close up vision anymore...

One feature that I did like on the Boss was the rotary volume knob...the Pioneer has pushbuttons...but not a huge issue, I just prefer a knob for the feel of volume control.

The Pioneer 'Supertuner' logo has been around since I had a cassette player in my VW Bug in the early 80's...and they are still worthy of the moniker..the radio reception is superb. It is also HD radio ready.

This stereo has iPod/phone integration...which give some more control over Pandora and iTunes tagging, but not a lot more than that....I have a Windows phone anyway so not a major upsell...although my wife is an Apple person..so she may like the features. The connectivity for iOS integration requires connecting via USB/Lightning cable. The USB comes off the back of the unit, so I routed the cable over into the glovebox and keep it coiled up in there.

The stereo has full multimedia...the back has rca plugs for rearview camera, audio in, video in, audio out, sub out, video out, plus a 3-way mini plug socket for aux a/v in. There are also dedicated ports for a Sirius XM tuner and Pioneer GPS/Nav unit.

I ran an RCA a/v cable from the a/v out to the back of the Jeep and tucked it in behind the sub woofer...that way if I ever want to have a monitor or projector connected I have a port to plug in (movie night while camping or tailgating). I also branched that off to a 7" lcd for thekids in the back seat.

Also in the glove box is a coiled up RCA a/v cable for input to the stereo..so an external disc player,game or other device can be added.

All in all, this was a self inflicted PITA, but worth it (more or less). I am very pleased with the end results. I will post up some pics when I get a chance.

The lessons learned:

-Crutchfield offers good advice and service, but at a premium

-Boss Audio has some work to do on with their A2DP Bluetooth streaming (at least in their lower end products)

-CAN bus integration of the entertainment systems has it pluses and minuses

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 Unlimited with the Alpine speaker/subwoofer system. I think I know which plastic bracket to cut to get the radio to fit, but when I do will I have to trim the dash cover (the plastic piece with the vents, window switches, etc.) as well? The wiring harness for the JVC KW-ADV65BT radio I'm installing works exc. for the steering wheel radio controls module (I won't get into that) so all I'm waiting to do is mount the radio. Can someone possibly post photos of the trimmed bracket for me?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since you just went thru what I'm now face installing a Boss Stereo in to a 2013 Jeep I was wondering if you can help me with the project. My problem is what do I connect the wires Key A and Key B to Everything else works except the Steering wheel controls. Thanks for any help given,

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
What a pain! Props for sticking it out man.

I went with the Pioneer touchscreen and the hardest part was soldering and shrink wrapping all the wires to the PAC harness. Actual install took about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
pestickler, you have to purchase an aftermarket steering wheel control (SWC) module so the factory SWC can "talk" to the aftermarket stereo and enable your buttons. I bought a complete kit on Ebay for $150 that included the SWC module, wire harness with sub. and amp. control module, mounting kit, antenna adapter, etc. I also talked to a Best Buy tech and he assured me that the bracket I'm talking about is not needed and has to be cut in order to install a double din stereo.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry guys...I was offline for a couple months....change of jobs and hectic life. Plus, once I get the Jeep stuff done, I started giving my Mako boat some long overdue attention. (read: $'s) :)

If you still have any questions at this point, I will try to answer if I can, or if not already answered above!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I know it's a bit late to this post but I have an 08 X and I've been trying to install double dash also. Similar to yourself the main issue is fit. My question is how can I remove the metal bracket everyone is talking about? Also do you have any info or pics of the plastic to be shaved off?

Thank you so much. It's my first Jeep and I'm trying to make all install smooth without unneeded mods.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well I used a Dremel and had no major issues...
Installing a 7" Double Din JVC 810 BT DVD with GPS and rear view camera...I also mounted the GPS and Sirius receivers on top of my 50" light bar...
I would run the wires up on driver side into dash side panel then go around your front left pillar and then fish a wire from the left side of the defrost then into radio space...Mad routing very easy and still hidden...Did the same to accomplish the GPS and Sirius sensors to outside light bar then used two part clear epoxy to secure...
I now get a lot better signal than I did mounted inside in front of defroster, and since these heaters do not play I did not want to cook the sensors...
For the wires I went to a Professional stereo installation company and bought for 98 bucks the adapter that allowed me to retain full function of the amp for Alpine speaker system...
I love the sound and it took about four hours to complete everything...
Lots of wires but everything works excellent and Im happy.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey I know it's a bit late to this post but I have an 08 X and I've been trying to install double dash also. Similar to yourself the main issue is fit. My question is how can I remove the metal bracket everyone is talking about? Also do you have any info or pics of the plastic to be shaved off?

Thank you so much. It's my first Jeep and I'm trying to make all install smooth without unneeded mods.
The plastic to be removed will be obvious when you remove the top cover of the dash...it spans the top of the area the receiver is install into.

The metal is in the rear of the space (against the firewall). I read somewhere that the whole bracket can be removed by a couple screws, but I don't know for certain...I had a grinder and just jumped right in without looking closely....:pcwhack:

·
Registered
1 Posts

I recently installed a pioneer x5700bhs dual din head unit. I didn't want the metal shavings all over so I removed the 4 screws from the metal bracket and "manipulated" it to pull it out from the front. Note that the wiring harness is connected to the metal bracket in two spots at the bottom (by plastic retainers). Pulling the plastic retainers out before removing the screws is easier. Just be careful not to damage the wiring harness.
The compass wires are also connected to the bracket on the glove box side. I removed that after the screws. If you bend the 4 right angle stereo support arms flat, as well as the two top screw brackets, you can carefully slide the bracket to the glove box side, bend the top left corner of the bracket towards you and down. Then just work it out. Be careful because the bracket edges are somewhat sharp.
Also note at both bottom corners of the metal bracket, next to the screws, there are alignment posts. You have to separate the metal bracket from them before you slide it side to side.
My head unit fits great. The only problem is, the dash top plastic cover will not go back in place because the compass module (mounted to the bottom side of the plastic cover) and it now hits the top of the head unit

1 - 20 of 34 Posts