Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this extra time on my hands from COVID I was thinking about getting a lift kit for my wrangler (2.5-3") but I'm a little nervous about doing it myself because I don't have a ton of experience with the more advanced workings of the car. I did do my own install of my front bumper and fenders but those are largely cosmetic things, but I'm more worried about messing this up as my car is not only my baby but also my commuter vehicle. I was wondering if there's anyone in the Frederick, MD area who would be interested in helping me out, or if others can provide some suggestions for kits to look for, or guidance on how to make a decision. There's almost too much information out there that it's hard to figure out where to start. I'd love to do it myself and learn more about my car, as I've seen several posts on here saying that's the way to go, I just don't want to jump in headfirst and find I'm missing something critical or overlooked something.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Most companies have their lift kit installation instructions available online. I suggest you pick the 2 or 3 kits you’re interested in and then download the instructions. Read through those and make a realistic assessment of whether the project is something you have the ability and tools to tackle.

·
Super Moderator
7,711 Posts
We are out past Hagerstown.
The first question is, what do you have in the way of tools? Do you have an impact wrench (very useful for disassembly)? Do you have a jack of sufficient height and matching jack stands?
Honestly, I don't think installing a lift is that hard. Just take your time, be thorough, and take your time.
As mentioned, most lifts have a youtube video or such showing you how to install it. Watch a couple of those and see how you feel about it.
If you want, contact me directly and maybe I can help you out.
But the first question would be which lift? What are your goals and priorities? Are you going to run larger tires? If not, are you OK with the lifted look without bigger tires?
So many questions....

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
OK 3 inches on a wrangler. What size tires? How much can you spend? What kind of wheeling or just a looker. Metal Cloak is very popular as is Treaflex.

·
Retired Moderator
103,570 Posts

^^^The above Thread, will really help one to understand, how to do right the first time!

Reactions: Jay2011JK

·
Premium Member
10,235 Posts
IMO if you can install a bumper you can install a lift kit. Power tools are great but not required. You will need at least 2 tall jack stands, I like 6 ton models and some wheel chocks. A floor jack and depending on the lift and it's completeness a ratchet strap. Your on the other side of the country or I would come out and help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.