Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how hard it is to install a super 35 kit wit a Detroit locker. I am not very mechanically inclined but would like to learn. Would I be better off to have it installed professionally or try to do it myself?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Setting up ring and pinions can be tricky and I use to be a mechanic. Im deff not saying it cant be done but If you take that job on yourself it would be good to have a friend that knows what there doing to help out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you are not doing a complete gear swap you only have to reset the backlash since you are swapping the carrier out. You don't have to mess with the pinion at all. You will need to order a shim kit to do so and get a dial indicator with a magnetic base. It's not a hard job and you can find tons of info online.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
X2 on what Thomas302 said. You don't have to do a complete ring & pinion gear setup, you only need to shim the new locker left or right until you get the original amount of backlash (slop) between the ring & pinion gear as indicated by a dial indicator. You will also need to make sure there is the same amount of preload present which basically means the shims have to hold the new locker as tightly against its bearings as before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts