Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would this trailer hitch be able to safely pull a bike rack that would hold four or so bikes?

Quadratec Premium 2" Receiver Hitch with Wiring Kit & Jeep® Logo Plug for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Also, I have ZERO experience with any installation stuff. I am a little nervous about taking off the bumper and making sure that it would be installed it correctly. I also do not know how difficult obtaining the tools for the job would be.

I am debating on just taking it to a U-Haul place to be installed... Would prefer to spend as little money as possible though!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
392 Posts
As long as you don't exceed 350lbs, your fine. As for the install, there was no need to remove the bumper or anything on my 11' when I installed mine. Just install the four bolts and done. To hook up the harness, you just remove two phillips screws on the drivers side tail light and plug it in. Real easy to do.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
This is an easy install. Try to get an OEM hitch if you can- a takeoff for another Wrangler. Many of the aftermarket one fit loosely and you have to tight the heck out of the bolts and bend the plates getting the bolts snug. With the original Jeep one (I bought mine for $50off Craigslist) it is snug enough to where (both times) I had to tap hard with a rubber mallet to get the holes line up. That is how it should be.

EDIT- If the plates have a gap, use metal washers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put this exact hitch kit on mine, and I bought a 4 bike rack for it, so I also hope it will work.

For installation, I would say you should do it yourself. The whole installation took me less than half an hour, and I did not have to remove the bumper. You slide the hitch on the frame and put four bolts through and tighten them down. The wiring it simple, just have to remove driver side tail light and chain the included wire off the tail light and run it down by the hitch. Clips are included to attach it to the frame. The instructions were good.

I only have basic mechanical skill and tools, but this was easy. I recommend eye protection while under the jeep. Road dirt kept falling off and wanting to land in my eyes.

Also, forgot to mention, the bolts take a little bit of wiggling to get in past the muffler. Not a big deal, but it took some trial and error. My hitch fit very snug, and the nuts are welded to the hitch so you don't have to hold them too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Easy install on a 2012. The tip on getting a version with the nuts welded on the plate is a good one. (I used the Mopar version). If you are just using it for a bike rack you do not have to install the wiring harness. (but it is very easy to do (the 4 wire harness)). On my bike rack, in order to be able to use the bike holder closest to the Jeep, I have to use a hitch extender. My rack is for 2 bikes and will fit without the extender and that is how I use it if I am just carrying one bike.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The quadratec hitch is a solid unit and has the nuts welded on the back. Very easy installand fit great on my 2012 and it retains the factory tow ratings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I installed this receiver on my 13 JKU and use it with a Thule 4 bike rack. Actually put 5 bikes on that rack a few times. Quick and easy install, you can do it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I put this exact hitch kit on mine, and I bought a 4 bike rack for it, so I also hope it will work.

For installation, I would say you should do it yourself. The whole installation took me less than half an hour, and I did not have to remove the bumper. You slide the hitch on the frame and put four bolts through and tighten them down. The wiring it simple, just have to remove driver side tail light and chain the included wire off the tail light and run it down by the hitch. Clips are included to attach it to the frame. The instructions were good.

I only have basic mechanical skill and tools, but this was easy. I recommend eye protection while under the jeep. Road dirt kept falling off and wanting to land in my eyes.

Also, forgot to mention, the bolts take a little bit of wiggling to get in past the muffler. Not a big deal, but it took some trial and error. My hitch fit very snug, and the nuts are welded to the hitch so you don't have to hold them too.
This ^, the plug and play wiring took longer than putting the hitch on. The hitch itself only took about 5 minutes and that was with a coffee break.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Got and installed the RR hitch, pretty much the same thing. It was one of my first upgrades and was an easy one to accomplish. The bumper is a breeze to remove and the wiring is completely plug and play. Ive been very happy with mine. I have a swagman rack that holds 4 bikes and tow a few different small trailers with no problem. This hitch should serve your purpose

·
Registered
449 Posts
I took the bumper off first. Very simple.. 6 bolts... glad I did cause it was all muddy underneath.. I cleaned the "real" bumper underneath then installed. It took no more that 45 minutes including cleaning. I would spray those bolts with some lubricant when you reinstall them.

Do it yourself, you will save money, learn something and feel good about it.Everytime you see it you will rememeber you did it yourself. Builds confidence to tackle the next DIY project.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my 12 year old son do mine. I just got under it to torque the bolts down. He even did the wire harness. It was hist first mod, now he wants to put on a new bumper and a winch. Fine by me, I'm dipping into his college fund if he wants it so bad.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I had my 12 year old son do mine. I just got under it to torque the bolts down. He even did the wire harness. It was hist first mod, now he wants to put on a new bumper and a winch. Fine by me, I'm dipping into his college fund if he wants it so bad.
That is great that your 12 year can do things like that. Last week I told my 11 year old stepson to get me a Crescent wrench and he looked at me like I was speaking Chinese. I later asked him to hand me the ratchet and again he has no idea what I was talking about.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I installed a Curt rear hitch a couple years ago on my 03. Use it primarily for a SoftRide bike rack.

Planning on installing a Curt hitch for the front also.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Literally just installed this hitch this past weekend. I ordered the hitch thursday morning and got it friday afternoon. Took about an hour to install (i took my sweet ass time) i lowered the muffler to get the bolts in easier. Takes a little wiggling to get to bolts in but once they are in, they tighten up pretty easy. The wire harness was really easy to install too, plus it comes with really detailed instructions (with pictures) which is nice. I dont plan on towing anything crazy. Probs just use it to add a rack if i need to cary coolers to beach when my back seat is full. If anyone wants to see pictures let me know.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Got mine in today, hitch went on in about 10 min. Feeding kids dinner now so I'll run the wire in a little bit.
Tool needed, 18mm socket.
Pictures:
1. Out of the box, remove the 4 bolt.
2. If working by your self, a 5 gal bucket and the box it came in is perfect to get it in place.:D
3. Insert 4 bolt from back side, thread it by hand to make sure it goes into the nut on the other side.
(Nut are welded to other side).
4. Done

☞ Sent from here ☜

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got mine in today, hitch went on in about 10 min. Feeding kids dinner now so I'll run the wire in a little bit.
Tool needed, 18mm socket.
Pictures:
1. Out of the box, remove the 4 bolt.
2. If working by your self, a 5 gal bucket and the box it came in is perfect to get it in place.:D
3. Insert 4 bolt from back side, thread it by hand to make sure it goes into the nut on the other side.
(Nut are welded to other side).
4. Done
You may want to consider adding step 3.5 - Tighten bolts (more that just by hand) :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Got and installed the RR hitch, pretty much the same thing. It was one of my first upgrades and was an easy one to accomplish. The bumper is a breeze to remove and the wiring is completely plug and play. Ive been very happy with mine. I have a swagman rack that holds 4 bikes and tow a few different small trailers with no problem. This hitch should serve your purpose
Bought the same hitch, installed it last night. Everything went well... but wasnt anticipating taking off the spare so I could take off the bumper, so I could get the bolts in. But it wasnt too bad, just time, no headaches.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts