Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a fuseblock so i don't have to have wires jumbled everywhere with inline fuses. I want it to be clean and organized under the hood. My problem is that I don't know where to install it. I want it near the battery, but i cannot find a way to mount it. I would not like to drill into the body of the Jeep too much, but as long as it is clean and doesn't cause damage it should be alright. Also, I think it is a given, but I need to be able to have easy access to it. The fuseblock I created with a project box is roughly 8×5×3. I'll include a picture. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,698 Posts
How many total amps and where are the things you want to run from this box

A large inline fuse near battery and a single wire from that fuse to where ever is best to mount the box like near grill or behind dash behind glove box or in center console just make sure inline fuse and feed wire gauge are up to the total current load you plan to need

If you want it all key switched adding a relay capable of handling the amps is another easy addition

Just make sure any power feed is fuse protected very near its origin

·
Registered
536 Posts
I attached mine to the battery tray, although it's a bit smaller than what you have. I got it from Painless Wiring

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had the same problem and for that reason only I removed the factory airbox and added an Airaid clamp on air filter I was then able to mount my auxiliary power to the inner fender near the battery I did this to provide space for relays and a ground block for upgrading the headlights on my 06 tj I am running hella e-codes with 100/55 bulbs with heavy gauge wiring and it works great

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts

A large inline fuse near battery and a single wire from that fuse to where ever is best to mount the box like near grill or behind dash behind glove box or in center console just make sure inline fuse and feed wire gauge are up to the total current load you plan to need

If you want it all key switched adding a relay capable of handling the amps is another easy addition

X2 on all of this. I've seen several you tube videos where they are telling people how to build a d-box where inappropriate wire, and fuse sizes and numbers of circuits were being used. Failure to pay attention to the total loads, wire sizes, and fuse sizes, makes burning down a Jeep a real possibility.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The total amount of amps will not exceed 100 amps in the end. My CB radio, in-cab winch switch, and some small LEDs in the bumper and under the Jeep as rock lights. Not a heavy load. And I would like it switched so the items are like the radio and only come one with the key. I'd rather people not mess with all of the buttons they see when the top is off, so that would help. I don't know how to do that though.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The total amount of amps will not exceed 100 amps in the end. My CB radio, in-cab winch switch, and some small LEDs in the bumper and under the Jeep as rock lights. Not a heavy load. And I would like it switched so the items are like the radio and only come one with the key. I'd rather people not mess with all of the buttons they see when the top is off, so that would help. I don't know how to do that though.
100 amps is quite a bit..! You shouldn't need power for an auxiliary winch switch (the winch circuit provides power for that) led's are very low amp draw (unless you have a very large wattage set up), and a CB radio uses very little. If you have KC lights or other high draw items, they can add up pretty quick though. You could run a 8 gauge wire for the main supply (100 amp) as long as the length of the run isn't more than 6 or 7 feet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
100 amps is quite a bit..! You shouldn't need power for an auxiliary winch switch (the winch circuit provides power for that) led's are very low amp draw (unless you have a very large wattage set up), and a CB radio uses very little. If you have KC lights or other high draw items, they can add up pretty quick though. You could run a 8 gauge wire for the main supply (100 amp) as long as the length of the run isn't more than 6 or 7 feet.
The only reason the fuse block is for 100a is because I do plan on adding future items such as lights. And Yes the winch switch doesn't need power, but I beleive I need a fuse for it? I don't have as much knowledge in the field of electricity and would rather not burn my Jeep to the ground, so is this a good plan? I am just unsure how to go about it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, how would I make it activated with keys as previously mentioned? Does anyone have a link or video that could explain how to do so?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts