Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ace rock rails coming in this week. They attack to the 3 mounting bolts on the unlimited.

My driveway where I'll be installing it has a decent grade on it. I have no level areas to install these.

While all 3 bolts are out on one side, is there a possible risk to having the body and frame become unaligned Where I wouldn't be able to get the bolts back in? Do I have to install these on level ground or is this a non issue?

Just trying to avoid any Uneccessary work or problems.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. It will go easier with another set of hands although I was able to install my two door set by myself.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. It will go easier with another set of hands although I was able to install my two door set by myself.
X2. There are several other body mount bolts that will hold everything in place when you remove the ones to install the sliders.
I also installed my 2dr set myself without much issue

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the 4 door model by myself...you'll be fine. Just have a grinder handy to grind down your washers. Their website says they no longer require grinding but mine arrived a week ago and I can confirm that they do.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did the 4 door model by myself...you'll be fine. Just have a grinder handy to grind down your washers. Their website says they no longer require grinding but mine arrived a week ago and I can confirm that they do.
I installed mine on a 2015 JKU a few weeks ago and the washers required grinding.

I installed the rails by myself on a sloped driveway and didn't have any problems. I used a jackstand to hold up one end while I worked on the other. Not including the grinding, it took about 30-45 minutes working at a leisurely pace.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dang, I must have the old style. Is that the only thing you've changed? Also, I dont ahve access to a bench grinder. I do have access to a handheld angle grinder. Would that work too?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
A handheld angle grinder will work fine. I used a cheap one bought from harbor freight.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
dang, I must have the old style. Is that the only thing you've changed? Also, I dont ahve access to a bench grinder. I do have access to a handheld angle grinder. Would that work too?

hand held works fine.....and on the most recent set....I really didnt need to take that much off.....

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
That should be fine. I used this as an excuse to buy a bench grinder. Got a Ryobi from home depot for like $70...probably about how much a shop would've charged to install, so as I see it it paid for itself.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
That should be fine. I used this as an excuse to buy a bench grinder. Got a Ryobi from home depot for like $70...probably about how much a shop would've charged to install, so as I see it it paid for itself.
^ this. I got a DeWalt on sale at Tractor Supply a while back. A must-have tool for any Jeep owner who ventures offroad!

Will be installing my Ace rails today. :happyyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts