Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I cannot get the bolt on the back of the cd player off. Any idea what size it is, and is there some kind of trick to get to it easier? I don't know if it's because I have big hands, but i've been trying for close to an hour and I've had no luck.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
It's pretty small...I'm thinking 10mm, but I honestly can't remember. If it's not 10mm try 3/8"...it's kind of a pain in the ass, but once you get it on there, it'll get easier.

When I did mine, my Pioneer headunit had nowhere for that security screw to thread into and my headunit was about 3" too deep so I just pulled the metal mount out entirely. Headunit isn't as tight as I'd like it, but not noticeably loose either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I changed my 4x6 speakers to 6" speakers in the front. It wast hard, you can either make a mounting bracket or buy them off ebay. But no pics sorry, also the soundbar can fit up to 6 1/2 " speakers.

Exactly what I wanted to know.
Nice write up.
Many thanks to all!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
hey i just installed my new head unit but the only thing that is bothering me is that the antenna cable doesnt reach my head unit do they sell any extenders or adapters so it can reach?

·
Registered
615 Posts
hey i just installed my new head unit but the only thing that is bothering me is that the antenna cable doesnt reach my head unit do they sell any extenders or adapters so it can reach?
Re-read The First few posts of this thread and you'll find your answer. Look at the pictures also.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Sounds like a setting in your receiver somewhere hawk...if it's working with everything else, then it appears that everything is physically hooked up properly and that a setting with the auxiliary input is either messed up or needs tweaked somewhere. If you bought it new, I'd read through the manual and see what you can find out about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nothing in the manual is of any use on this. (It's a pretty rough, 5 language, cartoon drawings manual).

Here's what baffles me (and feel free to correct me): the factory sub shouldn't "know" where the signal is coming from... regardless of whether it's the stock deck or an aftermarket, it's all the same once it connects to the factory wiring harness. The only output on the receiver is the 4 speaker wires, and somewhere/somehow after that (I don't know where it connects) the factory sub gets a piece of the signal. How on Earth would the radio signal power the sub but the iPod wouldn't? It should be the same signal coming across the same 4 wires, from the receiver harness to the Crutchfield adapter harness to the factory wiring.

I think my answer may lie in knowing how and where the factory sub gets it's signal.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Nothing in the manual is of any use on this. (It's a pretty rough, 5 language, cartoon drawings manual).

Here's what baffles me (and feel free to correct me): the factory sub shouldn't "know" where the signal is coming from... regardless of whether it's the stock deck or an aftermarket, it's all the same once it connects to the factory wiring harness. The only output on the receiver is the 4 speaker wires, and somewhere/somehow after that (I don't know where it connects) the factory sub gets a piece of the signal. How on Earth would the radio signal power the sub but the iPod wouldn't? It should be the same signal coming across the same 4 wires, from the receiver harness to the Crutchfield adapter harness to the factory wiring.

I think my answer may lie in knowing how and where the factory sub gets it's signal.
That's exactly why I'm thinking there's a setting somewhere that's killing your bass or something... the factory sub amp gets its signal from the speaker wires via a line out converter...so if the sub is working for some stuff, it should be working for everything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Which speaker wires feed the subwoofer? (FR, FL, RR, RL, etc.) I'm assuming two of the speaker wires (one +, one - ) splice off somewhere far from the harness. Figure if I add a seperate 4-channel amp, I use the RCA outputs on the deck for the amp/speakers, and use those 2 speakerwires direct from the deck to the sub. The sub is still getting its power from the blue ANT wire; all is well. (Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this?)

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Hey hawk_sixsix...here's the solution to your problem...never even thought of this one!

to answer your question....swap your amp turn on wire (blue/white) with the power antenna (blue). that will solve your issue..

right now that one wire is hooked up wrong. your radio is shutting down amp thinking it's a power antenna.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Curious how this would work or what I would need to do differently by replacing the console subwoofer. Mine is blown and I was going to do the replacement following the directions from another jeep forum how to.

Thanks

S

·
Registered
738 Posts
The one thing is you want to make sure your new radio has line level outputs to the sub if you are still using the stock amp. If you send regular speaker level input power to the amp input you can cook the amp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. It saved me a lot of time when changing out my stereo. (Just put in a new Sony, now I know I need new speakers.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey hawk_sixsix...here's the solution to your problem...never even thought of this one!

Exactly! That solved TWO problems. Let me explain.

For the past month, the sub was only working with the radio (which I never really use) and all 4 newly-installed Infinity speakers sounded awful, like they were severely underpowered. The receiver is rated at a healthy 18W RMS per channel so this mystery ran concurrent with the non-functioning amp/sub.

I went over to the local stereo shop and told them the story, and the answers I got were [for the amp/sub]: "there's something wrong with the radio" --- [and for the weak speakers]: "they're underpowered. You need an amp and TWO TENS." :eek: I told the guy there's no way it could sound this bad with 18 watts, but he refused to even listen to it and insisted that aftermarket speakers require way more power than any receiver puts out and quoted me for some custom-built box and amps and subs and . . . (I walked out).

Many hours of studying wiring diagrams later (when I should have been checking this forum instead), I found success in rewiring the Crutchfield adapter harness. Here's where I get pissed: Internet sources abound simply state "use the power antenna wire". So I had done exactly that: I used the power antenna wire from the radio and connected it to the power antenna wire of the vehicle harness. I wrote technical manuals for a living, so GIGO instructions and errors are a particular sore spot with me. Folks, the complete answer is, "Connect the remote wire from the radio harness to the power antenna wire of the vehicle harness". :crash:

Now, a peculiar side effect was that the four speakers came alive like never before. If you look at the hokey way this thing is wired, the speaker signal is split between the speakers and the amp - my theory is that if the amp isn't turned on, half the circuit is open, and the speakers are getting half the wattage.

No 10" subs, no external amp; just a change of one wire. Sounds phenomenal. What a difference a few words and one wire make.:doh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
what if the radio in your jeep was already an aftermarket? My 2004 TJ came with an aftermarket radio (Eclipse) already installed, but it ended up dying on me. I bought a Pioneer radio and followed all the above steps, but the wiring harness that was attached to the old radio is still there and is crimp capped to a bunch of other wires that do not attach to the main wiring harness, but are all taped in the same bunch. If this is confusing, I can post a picture. When I connect the main wiring harness to the wiring harness of my new radio, it does not turn on or anything. What should I do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realized the problem....

The gray wiring harness on top is the Wrangler harness; the white one under it is the wiring harness from the aftermarket radio previously installed. I realized that several wires from the Wrangler wiring harness were stripped and connected to the wires from the old radio's wiring harness, which probably explains why my new radio wasn't working when I plugged in my new radio to the Wrangler wiring harness. Should I just unplug the caps that connect the old radio's wires to the wrangler wires and just reconnect the wrangler wires to the wrangler wiring harness?

·
Registered
787 Posts
let me see if I understand what you're saying. They cut some of the wires from the original wiring harness and attached them to the new wiring harness?

What I would do is rewire the original wiring harness back up to it's factory wiring, making sure to do a good job so no wires are exposed and the connectors do not come off with time and vibration.

Than I would go and purchase a wiring adapter that plugs into the OEM stereo plug. If you get the correct one, and you need to check this before purchasing, it should have a wiring diagram with it that tells you what color wire is what, and also maybe it should have that written on the wires themselves.

Now, you can wire that adapter to the plug of your new stereo, matching what each wiring diagram tells you. It's not as hard as it seems, and will save you a lot of headaches and troubleshooting if done correctly.

The wiring adapter will be something like this:
JEEP WRANGLER RADIO STEREO DASH KIT+ HARNESS + ADAPTER on eBay!

you don't have to purchase that one, it's just for reference. I believe that one comes with everything but you may not need all that.
you can pick them up almost anywhere, some auto stores carry them. WalMart carries them. you get the idea.

I'd also check the radio fuses in the Jeep and the new stereo to make sure you didn't blow anything when you plugged it in. If it didn't come on, something was wrong and you could have damaged the new unit or blown a fuse.

21 - 40 of 166 Posts