Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'm going to install Bestop security box under each of my front seats.

I leave my doors off 90% of the time. I carry a handgun on me at all times but every blue moon I have to leave gun in my Jeep. I bought the Bestop lock boxes hoping it would keep someone from stealing my belongings (again no doors on).

I was wanting to put loctite on the bolts in case some wise a$$ wants to unbolt the 2 screws and take the box with them. I know im somewhat paranoid but my profession teaches me to hope for the best and expect the worse.

Anyone see a problem with me putting loctite on the bolts? Anyone see any reason to remove the security box once I installed it?
Thanks in advance guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Locktite isn't going to stop somebody from unscrewing a couple of nuts if they're really motivated. It's more for keeping things from coming loose when under vibration or rotational loads.

Use it if it makes you feel better. If you ever want to take them out again it's just going to mean that you'll need a little more muscle or a longer ratchet, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Thieves don't want to spend a lot of time trying to take something apart, especially if they don't know what's inside. And they're unlikely to have the proper tools with them. I used a 3/4" socket set to install my Bestop and even then it took a little oomph. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thieves don't want to spend a lot of time trying to take something apart, especially if they don't know what's inside. And they're unlikely to have the proper tools with them. I used a 3/4" socket set to install my Bestop and even then it took a little oomph. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for input.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the driver side only on my Jeep and I love it! I use it when I go running in the park and don't have pockets in athletic shorts. To that end, I replaced the entire OE keyed lock tumbler with a 4-digit coded one

Anyone see a problem with me putting loctite on the bolts? Anyone see any reason to remove the security box once I installed it?
Problem? No. Excessive? Maybe.
Only reason I could think why I'd want to remove it is if you ever sell the Jeep and want to keep any of your mods for re-use.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The more significant weak point is the lock itself.

Make sure it's fully tightened so that tools can't get between the lock trim and the metal.

Reactions: Gray Rebel

·
Vendor
2,876 Posts
Got a link or info on that "mod"?

I have the driver side only on my Jeep and I love it! I use it when I go running in the park and don't have pockets in athletic shorts. To that end, I replaced the entire OE keyed lock tumbler with a 4-digit coded one

Problem? No. Excessive? Maybe.
Only reason I could think why I'd want to remove it is if you ever sell the Jeep and want to keep any of your mods for re-use.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Got a link or info on that "mod"?
Inspiration was post #70 in this thread:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bestop-underseat-lockbox-installed-130094-3.html

Per the suggestion in that thread, it's a 5/8" cylinder lock. I went with a combination style lock from Padlocks4less so I could run completely keyless.
I got the 4-digit combination (part #7803S-BLK), but they also have a 3-digit (7850R-S)

My only "complaint" is that it's pretty much impossible to unlock and retrieve anything from the drawer while sitting in the seat. You have to get out and stick your head down under the steering wheel to be able to see to put the code in; whereas with the key, you could reach down between your legs and open the drawer easy.
Like if you forget to get your wallet out when you get the keys and then find yourself in a fastfood drive-through with all your money "safely" locked away under your seat... hypothetical scenario of course! :whistling:

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Were these ever "cleared" on 16/17 models? i remember looking at them when i ordered my JK and they indicated they wouldn't work on a 2016 seat for reasons.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Still no option for the later model JKs (2015) I presume? I've thought about one of my gun safes with tumblers attached to the seat frame with the accompanying cable.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Still no option for the later model JKs (2015) I presume? I've thought about one of my gun safes with tumblers attached to the seat frame with the accompanying cable.
A cable is easier and faster to cut than unscrewing those 2 big bolts.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I agree, but if the boxes won't fit under the JK seats then other options warrant consideration.
Absolutely! Cable is better than no cable at all, that's for sure.

In my jku I have a Tuffy passenger underseat drawer (sku: 293).
But the most secure place is under the Tuffy Locking Cubby Cover (sku: 143) which is under the Tuffy Security Tailgate Enclosure (sku: 299). Two layers of steel.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tomorrow I'm going to install Bestop security box under each of my front seats.

I leave my doors off 90% of the time. I carry a handgun on me at all times but every blue moon I have to leave gun in my Jeep. I bought the Bestop lock boxes hoping it would keep someone from stealing my belongings (again no doors on).

I was wanting to put loctite on the bolts in case some wise a$$ wants to unbolt the 2 screws and take the box with them. I know im somewhat paranoid but my profession teaches me to hope for the best and expect the worse.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.
I think that after you install this thing, you won't be too worried about someone taking it. Those 2 bolts are a PITA to take out.. or at least they are on both of my 09's. When I switched my box from the black 09 to the white one, I had to use a breaker bar on the white one for the first 5 turns on each bolt and then a 1/2" drive ratchet to finish getting them out! Black one was easier, only had to use the breaker to get em moving. lol

As for a problem with loctite, that should be fine but don't get crazy.. 2 or 3 threads.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have one in my 2017.
If you would please....... What model and did you run into ANY issues installing or accessing or folding your seat forward?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not sure the specific model it was in my jeep when I bought it. I have the jku and it's under my driver seat. No issues with seat movements.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ahhhhh, mines a 2 door JK and have been hoping for an under the seat lock box option. I'll keep looking!!!! Thanks Kevin.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts