Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PO never installed front bump stops after installing an RK 2.5” lift. I’m still running factory flares so I’m assuming I’m going to need bump stops with my 315/70’s.

Is it possible to compress the springs and remove them without having to disassemble most of the front end?

I’m really irritated that the PO didn’t do such a simple thing when he installed the springs and now left me with such a PITA job. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Disco the sway bar, remove shock bottom bolt. Then jack it up and support it on the frame. Watch the brake lines and e locker line and vent. You might have to,,,, unbolt track bar at one end, disco the front DS. Before you start take some very close measurements so you know how much to add. If you use the ones that bolt to the diff pad you might be able to fine tune them without taking it all apart again.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks; still sounds like a PITA. :D

So no need to remove the control arm connections?

Also, how do you measure/determine how much bump stop is needed? By fully compressing with floor jack while the shocks are disconnected see how much gap is there and then subtract the length of the fully compressed shocks?

That’s the other part that I’m finding troublesome.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Some rtv and hockey pucks are all you need. Squeeze some rtv on coil perch then slide to puck into the coil, with the rk coils I think I had jack the front end up with jack stands under the frame and lower the axle to fit the pucks between the coils.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
The control arms should be OK.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sure it depends on the springs and lift, but I was able to push a new bumpstop through the coil spring rungs. I just removed the front tire, put a jack stand under the frame and dropped the one side of the axle to the floor. Once the bump stop was inside the coil spring, I used a 1/2" socket extender in the spring to seat the bump stop with the floor jack. Easy peezy. I stole the idea from a guy on youtube.

·
Super Moderator
14,518 Posts
Some rtv and hockey pucks are all you need. Squeeze some rtv on coil perch then slide to puck into the coil, with the rk coils I think I had jack the front end up with jack stands under the frame and lower the axle to fit the pucks between the coils.
This is the easy front bump stop process. I use hockey pucks and did mine while the suspension was apart, but RTV silicone and sliding them through the springs is easy and effective.

·
Super Moderator
4,560 Posts
I have a set of spring compressors, I sometimes use them to make it easier to remove the springs. It makes it easier because I don't have to droop the suspension as far.
I am a "work smarter, not harder" kind of guy.
I put the spring compressors on, jack that wheel up and then take the slack out of the spring compressors. Then let that wheel droop, the spring won't be able to extend as far and it comes out easy. But be careful with spring compressors, there is a lot of energy stored in that spring. Treat it like a loaded weapon.
Or just droop the suspension farther.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again guys.

Sounds like I need to take everything apart to get my measurements anyway, so it becomes a good excuse to install some RK adjustable upper control arms I got in a box from the PO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts