Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TC is all out of wack after the RC 4" lift and TC drop were installed, then the TC drop removed. Someone said to remove the RC TC shifter bracket, but I'm assuming there were stock parts removed and I don't have access to them.

Anyway, to avoid potential problems I've ordered a Novak TC shifter linkage and would appreciate any helpful hints about installation. It won't be in for a few days and this pushes the limits of my mechanical ability a tad. :whistling:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Just follow the directions that come with the novak shifter. I just installed mine last week. make sure to remove the transfer case skid plate and the front driveshaft, it makes it much easier. It should only take about an hour or so start to finish.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have installed two Novak kits. One on my TJ and another on my buddies. You will love it. Definitely remove the skid plate, it will make the install easier. I left the front drive shaft on in both cases, didn't see a need to remove it, but that's up to you.

When removing the old linkage, I just removed it all at once, in one piece, rather then removing it piece by piece. Then installing the Novak by just following the directions.
Make sure your linkage is in 2WD. When removing the old linkage and installing the new linkage, it was very easy for the shifter to jump into 4 HI. Then you will have to drop the skid plate and remove the linkage at the t-case, ask me how I know.

Adjusting it was the most time consuming, just making sure you have plenty of slack to get into 4-LO.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Yep...what's been said above. I too left the front driveshaft installed. I smacked the wrenches into it a lot, but it didn't cause any major problems with being in the way.

Removal is pretty simple...if I remember right, remove everything from the shift handle to the shifter lever on the tcase. They will have you replace the lever on the tcase...when you're trying to remove it, it's gonna kick it in 4LO (you'll know when it shifts it by the CLICK CLICK CLICK as you're trying to turn it...lol), but when you tighten it up, just make sure it clicks back in 2wd. I might have that backward but you get the idea...if it shifts ranges, make sure it's shifted back when you install the lever on it.

It's a little intimidating at first when you're removing stuff, but don't worry...basically every bit of that linkage under there is coming off so you don't gotta be like, "Oh...do I remove this part or leave it." It's kind of confusing in the directions...

Like 2003x mentioned, make sure you adjust it with enough slack to get into 4LO. Most Jeeps will have no adjustment issues. Mine was a nightmare. It was backwards from the rare problem Jeeps Novak had run into. Before you bolt the skid plate back up...make sure the threads on the top section of the cable don't bottom out against the outer sleeve before the tcase is fully engaged in 4LO (just pull the handle up and make sure the threads aren't making contact with the outer sleeve). If they are...adjust it until they aren't. Then if you pull the handle up until it stops, you will know 4LO is fully engaged.

Oh and don't forget to support the tranny with a jack or something before dropping the skid plate!

I believe the big nuts used on the adjusters use a 15/16 open ended wrench...you'll want two of em. You'll also need some tiny ass wrench for installing the ball stud on the shift handle lever...can't remember size, but it's tiny. lol

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok once again I have the cart before the horse. I decided on the Novak shifter after reading several recommendations which said simply "get the Novak shifter." So I logged onto Quadratec and it was an easy decision because they only have 1 model...but, it is not the cable model, it is the model where you heat/bend the new shifter rod.

Do y'all recommend I send it back and get the cable model?

·
Registered
32 Posts
cable shifter is easy to install... much easier than the linkage version by a long shot! i have had both installed on my jeep.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Yeah, I almost ordered the linkage version too which I hear is also VERY good...but it also involves a crapload more work installing and adjusting it. You'll be glad you went with the cable model. lol

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
No tips required. Once you've got it in your hand and have reviewed the directions, it will make sense. If it doesn't, you've got bigger problems. :thumb:
I was one of those with bigger problems...I even had the guys at Novak stumped for a bit. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts