Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me easiest way to run my power wire from powered sub, straight to the battery through the firewall....thanks much

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is a kind of rubber gasket on the inside of your Jeep that goes thru the firewall, its pretty much in front of where the driver sits.

That's the easiest way to get thru the firewall if you just poke a hole thru the rubber and run a wire thru the hole.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a kind of rubber gasket on the inside of your Jeep that goes thru the firewall, its pretty much in front of where the driver sits. That's the easiest way to get thru the firewall if you just poke a hole thru the rubber and run a wire thru the hole.
Thanks for the help.. Appreciate it ... One of my friends said this is hardest part of job, but that's not saying much being that it's a fairly easy job ... Lol.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The firewall has lots of options for running the power through and since the firewall is easily accessible on the TJ, it's the simple part. I would say routing the wiring under the carpet and getting it to the head unit is probably the hardest part...and its relatively easy as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Somewhat related wiring question

So i'm in the process of doing a number of upgrades to my TJ... one of which is a replacmeent for my subwoofer so I'll be working on that at some point, but the first one on the list is a new H4 wiring harness and bulbs for the headlights. I started on it tonight and immediately ran into a snag. I was able to disconnect the negative terminal on my battery just fine. I have loosened and nearly removed the nut from the red / positive terminal, but the battery cable won't budge from the post.

I was wondering -- since the negative is disconnected, can I just remove that bolt and slide on the connectors for the lighting harness onto it, replace the bolt on the red terminal, and be done? Or do I really need to remove the battery cable entirely from the post before working on it?

Here's an image of the battery post in question -- the wire that's already on there is from some other lights I've already connected. I've done this before but I'm an idiot where power is concerned, want to make sure I'm not going to blow myself or my jeep up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6rLkA071XvUDBiR0JJNHpTX2c/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the help.. Appreciate it ... One of my friends said this is hardest part of job, but that's not saying much being that it's a fairly easy job ... Lol.
I will say when I went through the firewall it was rather difficult to put a hole through it -- I think the rubber gets harder as it gets older. You'll need something fairly strong and sharp to get through it, but you just need to use a lot of elbow grease and it will work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say when I went through the firewall it was rather difficult to put a hole through it -- I think the rubber gets harder as it gets older. You'll need something fairly strong and sharp to get through it, but you just need to use a lot of elbow grease and it will work.
I went through the firewall where I believe the shifter cable went through .. Super easy. I taped the wire to a coat hanger and snakes it through ... The whole install of the powered amp was very easy.... And my stereo sounds great now

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ran mine through right in front of the drivers left foot area. Comes out just under the brake cylinder in the engine compartment. Easy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So i'm in the process of doing a number of upgrades to my TJ... one of which is a replacmeent for my subwoofer so I'll be working on that at some point, but the first one on the list is a new H4 wiring harness and bulbs for the headlights. I started on it tonight and immediately ran into a snag. I was able to disconnect the negative terminal on my battery just fine. I have loosened and nearly removed the nut from the red / positive terminal, but the battery cable won't budge from the post.

I was wondering -- since the negative is disconnected, can I just remove that bolt and slide on the connectors for the lighting harness onto it, replace the bolt on the red terminal, and be done? Or do I really need to remove the battery cable entirely from the post before working on it?

Here's an image of the battery post in question -- the wire that's already on there is from some other lights I've already connected. I've done this before but I'm an idiot where power is concerned, want to make sure I'm not going to blow myself or my jeep up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6rLkA071XvUDBiR0JJNHpTX2c/view?usp=sharing

No need to remove the positive terminal. If the new connector is just a ring terminal, just slide it on the end of the bolt and add another nut, or you can take the old nut of the bolt and just slide the connector on and put nut back. Easy to do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No need to remove the positive terminal. If the new connector is just a ring terminal, just slide it on the end of the bolt and add another nut, or you can take the old nut of the bolt and just slide the connector on and put nut back. Easy to do.
HURRAY! thanks. Appreciate it!
:drinks:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts