Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just installed the transfer case and gas tank skids on my 2014 2 door jk.
Install went quite well, but did have trouble with clearance for the bolt on the gas tank side of the little bracket that connects the gas and transfer case skid plates. Not enough space between the hole and the existing gas tank shroud for a nut, washer, and the plate. Just barely enough room for a nut+washer, so I wound up mounting the little plate on the bottom side of the skids for now.
Pic - the first/closest-to-the-camera of the two round-head bolts in the middle of the pic is the one without enough clearance. Maybe something a hammer would fix if i ever remove one of the two skids.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Really nice write up. Good job.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Pic - the first/closest-to-the-camera of the two round-head bolts in the middle of the pic is the one without enough clearance. Maybe something a hammer would fix if i ever remove one of the two skids.
That gas tank plate is big, and aligning it is not easy. You have to keep the bolts loose and wiggle things about a bit.

Well worth it though. Mine took a beating this summer but are holding up.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine have held up at Rausch Creek and Superlift ORV. Great products.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,293 Posts
I too had trouble with that little plate. In the end I worked my way round all the bolts loosening them up until I could get in there and put it in. Some of the bolts had to be really loose to do it but in the end I got it in. As the previous poster said "loosen the skid up and wiggle them around"....good luck...

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,293 Posts
Oh, and I too LOVE my Rock Hard skid plates - I have the aluminum ones and they are awesome.....

·
Registered
760 Posts
I too had trouble with that little plate. In the end I worked my way round all the bolts loosening them up until I could get in there and put it in. Some of the bolts had to be really loose to do it but in the end I got it in. As the previous poster said "loosen the skid up and wiggle them around"....good luck...
I tried loosening the gas tank skid, but not the transfer case skid as well - I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks everyone for posting!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Since I'm retired military, I have access to the base auto hobby shop. I used a transmission jack to hold everything in place, which made installation a breeze. Taking my time, it took me four hours to install all three skid plates by myself. That included moving from a drive on hoist to a frame hoist so I could take off my right rear tire and put that last fuel tank skid bolt in. That was a few months ago. Since then, my Rock Hards have taken quite a beating.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,293 Posts
I tried loosening the gas tank skid, but not the transfer case skid as well - I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks everyone for posting!
On mine the gas tank skid bolts were barely in before I had enough room to get in there....be careful it doesn't fall on you.....

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
On mine the gas tank skid bolts were barely in before I had enough room to get in there....be careful it doesn't fall on you.....
I used jack stands to help me hold it in place during the installation. Heavy.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,293 Posts
I used jack stands to help me hold it in place during the installation. Heavy.
Me too - it also occurred to me that you could entirely unbolt the fuel tank and transfer case skid where they meet up, slip that little bar in and bolt it on and then bolt the skids back up if you had a couple of these one to support the fuel tank skid and one to support the transfer case skid.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Appreciate all the advice! I think i was having just as much of a clearance problem as a lining-up-four-different-parts (bolt,plate,washer,nut) problem. I loosened the four bolts on the front half of fuel skid. I made a sandwich using blue masking tape. I taped the washer to the plate. Then taped the nut to the OPEN end of a wrench (open end is very important if you don't want to leave the wrench in the jeep, especially if closed side of wrench is ratcheting kind...). Then taped the two together and was able to pry between the fuel and transfer case skids to gain needed clearance to slide the "sandwich" into place below the fuel tank and put the bolt in.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts