Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’m trying to install new seats in my yj. The seats are wider than factory so the passenger side seat crashes into the center console when flipping the seat forward and backward to allow access to the back seat.

I was thinking about moving the passenger seat closer to the door to give more clearance. Any suggestions about how to solve the problem?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have bestop seats and the vdp console...I dont even need to bolt the console down because my seats are so tight where they meet. That's the cost of aftermarket seats

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I have bestop seats and the vdp console...I dont even need to bolt the console down because my seats are so tight where they meet. That's the cost of aftermarket seats
Where did you say you park at night. I could use a new console and got plenty of self tapping screws laying around.

Just Kidding....:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just installed Smittybilt seats and their center console. It’s a tight fit but works. Not the best pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi vmxwinn

Does your passenger seat base flip forward to access the back seat? If so, are you able to flip the passenger seat forward with the seat/console combo that you have?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes my passenger seat flips forward. So I am able to flip it up. The seat adjuster shaft, I did not put the knob on the inside side of the seat, shaft does foul a little on the seat belt. But it is easy to just push the seat belt forward when flipping the seat back to clear. I do not have the seatbelts in the locating straps on the the side of the center console. Hope that make sense to you.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Hi All,

I’m trying to install new seats in my yj. The seats are wider than factory s o the passenger side seat crashes into the center console when flipping the seat forward and backward to allow access to the back seat.

I was thinking about moving the passenger seat closer to the door to give more clearance. Any suggestions about how to solve the problem?
What year is your YJ? If it s ‘91 to ‘95 and has the original seat pedestals, they are 1.5” closer to the center of the trans. tunnel than the ‘87 to ‘90 versions.

The pedestals are relatively easy to differentiate from each other: ‘91 and later left side pedestal is two piece and does not tilt forward, while the right is similar to the ‘87-‘90 version, tilting, and is a one piece pedestal.

The ‘91 and later versions basically place the adjuster rails directly above the mounting bolts for the tub, whereas the the early versions offset the seat 1.5” to the outside of the tub on each side. Additionally, the early adjusters have one hole drilled on each side of the adjuster release handle, the later versions have two.

Either version will bolt to any year tub. If using an early OE seat on a late pedestal/slider, one hole will need to be drilled in the slider. If using an aftermarket seat, this is a moot point, as the majority of aftermarket seats have the extra threaded bosses.

If there is room between the seat and the door/roll bar, etc; this may be a viable option. I have done it in the past when using aftermarket seats.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Couple of pics. Early (offset to outside of tub) pedestal is the one without the adjusters in pics. Late is the one with the adjusters.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
Good info SoCal! Might look for early seat bases in my travels. See how they work.

Reactions: SoCalC101CJYJTJ
1 - 12 of 12 Posts