Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2009 sahara 4 door about a month ago. I've had the soft top on for a while but the top keeps popping out of the door surrounds. I am pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, but after 3 hours of searching on here and youtube I can't find anything that shows up close how that part of the installation goes. Jeep manual isn't helpful, it just says to insert the retainers into the channels. Basically, I can't get the plastic T to attach to the door surrounds. Anyone know a good resource, or have a picture of how they insert?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
It's really hard to imagine what's wrong without seeing it. Do you have any Jeep clubs in your area? Where are you from?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It sounds like you're not quite getting it in place. In the door surround, there is a metal peg that fits through a hole in the top's frame. You have to really make sure you get the peg through, otherwise this happens. I found it's usually easier to latch the header latch while holding the peg-release-thing, that way the latch pulls the frame into position almost perfectly. From there it's not hard to pop it into place correctly...then do the other side.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's really hard to imagine what's wrong without seeing it. Do you have any Jeep clubs in your area? Where are you from?
I'll try to snap some pics. I'm in Memphis and dont know anyone else with a Jeep but I may start trolling car lots for 2009's to look at

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Photo 1 is the part of the top I can't get into place. The plastic "T" should snap into the channel in the door surround. Photo 2 shows the only way I've gotten them to attach, but it doesn't look right and doesn't stay in place which makes me pretty sure I'm doing it wrong...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Is it the top itself or the side windows?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's attempting to attach the top to the door frames. The plastic and stitching in the pictures is the top itself and the plastic has to slide under or into the frames somehow. Everything I got with the soft top says Mopar but the video that came with the owners manual doesn't look like those plastic retainers are the same

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah this is the video that came with the jeep in the owners manual. The drip rail retainers are the plastic peices that are part of the top, and they are supposed to slide into the door frames. I don't see any way to get my retainers into a position anything like what he's undoing in that video though

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
ah i didn't see that yours was a 4-door. did you try it with all the other parts unhooked? (header latches and sail panels)? is the top cold?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've tried each of those also. The way mine looks, it seems like if I got it under the rail the door wouldn't close anyway. I may go see if a dealer can show me what I'm doing wrong. It's got to be something easy that I'm missing.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
There are three sections to the surround. The top will tuck into the very top section. The outer edge of the top will be 90 degrees on the second shoulder and then last is the door opening.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks nwbronco. Your pictures look like what I think mine should be doing, but I can't get it to fit that way.

First Pic is looking down the side of the jeep when I put the top up, without doing anything to do sections over the doors. You can see the stitching faces out on it's own. i THINK this is supposed to face down. That stitching is holding the top to what is basically a long "T." I can't find a way to get that "T" to insert into the channel so that the stitching faces down.

The next pictures are all of the underside of the top. These are the only pieces of plastic that are long enough to insert into the channel, but if I do that, the stitching faces out instead of down. Do these longer pieces somehow insert and then pivot so the stitching is down? Or is it the shorter pieces (that actually have the stitching attached) that insert? Those don't seem to be long enough to stay in the channel.

I know this is ridiculous, so I appreciate your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I think I see what you are doing now. The stitching does not go down. It actually creates the rain lip. See mine...

The piece of the T that includes the stitching for the canvas is actually at a 90 degree to the door surround.

Bob K.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, ok I see. I should have been clearer, it's the under side of the stitch that faces down, which matches your picture. So the piece of plastic with the stitching - is that what goes in the channel? Bc it's only about 1/8 inch wide and doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It kinda looks to me like you have a 2007 soft top but 2012 door surrounds. Do you know if your jeep came with a soft top from the factory? You might try looking up the door surround part numbers to see if you have the right ones. Hard to tell from the pics.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good question. I don't know if any of it is original. The top was installed under the hard top, but all the frames and windows were in boxes. I'll try looking up the part numbers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts