Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock TJ. Today I am installing new shocks all the way around and a set of 3/4" spacers on front. My question is will I be able to get the springs out by just disconnecting the sway bar and shocks, or will I have to do something else?

I've been told I will need a spring compressor or have to disconnect the control arms. Others have said I won't need any of this on a stocker.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You should be able to get the springs out and in with the 3/4 inch spacers without needing spring compressors. A pry bar may help ease them back in. No need to disconnect any control arms, only shocks and front sway bar.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes you will need "external spring compressors". You can either buy them for $50 off of Amazon (which I did), or you can go rent them from an auto parts store for $50.

This is why: to install front spacers you need to take out your bump stops to access a bolt that takes off the bump stop retainers. Only then can you slide the spacers into the spring perches, and then reverse the process to put the sprinha and everything back together.

Make sure you get a second person to help you too. Because at least for me, it's nice having some moral support while you mess with those stupid spring compressors. o_O

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Yes you will need "external spring compressors". You can either buy them for $50 off of Amazon (which I did), or you can go rent them from an auto parts store for $50.

This is why: to install front spacers you need to take out your bump stops to access a bolt that takes off the bump stop retainers. Only then can you slide the spacers into the spring perches, and then reverse the process to put the sprinha and everything back together.

Make sure you get a second person to help you too. Because at least for me, it's nice having some moral support while you mess with those stupid spring compressors. o_O
You do not need a spring compressor to remove springs in a TJ. Here's a pdf write up of how to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mine just about fell out without using a spring compressor once the shocks and sway bar were disconnected and everything was in the air.
Well, I've tried that before. I disconnected my sway bar and shocks; let my whole axle just hang in the air and droop down, and the springs still weren't removable.

I guess I'll need to check out that PDF!

To the OP, sorry for any confusion, but that's just my experience with messing with my front springs; I had to use those spring compressors to get them out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well, I've tried that before. I disconnected my sway bar and shocks; let my whole axle just hang in the air and droop down, and the springs still weren't removable.

I guess I'll need to check out that PDF!

To the OP, sorry for any confusion, but that's just my experience with messing with my front springs; I had to use those spring compressors to get them out.

Then you have to jack one side of the rear all the way up and the other side will droop so dam low that they come out. The do the opposite for the other side.

Now I could not get my Metalcloak springs in without a compressor in the front. :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine just about fell out without using a spring compressor once the shocks and sway bar were disconnected and everything was in the air.
For clarification I then jacked one side of the rear all the way up and the other side drooped so low they about fell out. Then did it in reverse for the other side.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wound up using a spring compressor. If I had removed tho bump stops they would have come out. I had them handy at my dads shop so I used them. I got it all done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I added spacers to my XJ which is essentially the same up front. I didn't want to use a spring compressor [too chicken] so, on the side I and trouble I went ahead and pulled the lower control arm. I can't recall which side but it was really easy. I too used a jack to help get the opposite side to droop further. I was inserting 2" spacers.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Then you have to jack one side of the rear all the way up and the other side will droop so dam low that they come out. The do the opposite for the other side.

Now I could not get my Metalcloak springs in without a compressor in the front. :)
Yea, I even did that too! But since both wheels/both sides of the axle were dropping as low as possible (they were in free fall), it didn't make a difference.

I was assuming that my control arms or drive shaft was what was holding up my axle from drooping down even more so.

And to the OP: there you go! Just as long as you get it done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts