Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a mod on my jeep where I put a filter on my screen to make it red as seen below. Since it was completed all my gauges are working except for my gas gauge. It won't read correctly. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just went through this. First, what do you mean your fuel gauge won't read correctly? Is it consistently off, or intermittently working? The easiest way to adjust, I found after 14 attempts to get my gauges reading properly, was to remove the clear plastic top while the cluster was still installed.

The first thing I did was to run a diagnostic. Hold the odometer adjust button (the one sticking out on the right) and turn the ignition to on without starting the engine. Your instrument cluster should light up. Watch the dials. They should sweep through their full range of motion. Watch where the fuel gauge starts and stops. That will tell you how much you are off. If you grip the dial tightly, you can pull it straight out. You have to be careful to pull straight though so you don't break anything. Once it's out, you have to put it back as close to what you think the gauge was off.

The other thing I found was that the metal needle that sticks into the cluster has to be fully seated. At one point, my speedo stopped working and this was the cause. To fix it, I pulled the dial off and used two needle-nose pliers to pull the metal from the plastic base of the dial. I the put the metal needle back in but left a little extra sticking out. Once I pushed it all back into the instrument cluster, everything seated properly and my speedo worked again.

This is what worked for me. I was really nervous about pulling the dials by hand like that, but I didn't have a tool to do it and it was so much easier to get the gauges reading correctly with the cluster still plugged in. This link is where I got the idea from: Speedometer, fuel gauge needles not working - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been adjusted multiple times and sometimes it reads right and sometimes it doesn't. This morning it said I only had a 1/4 a tank of gas when I had 3/4. When I turned the jeep off it read correctly. Turned the jeep off and then back on and it was reading incorrectly again. Thanks for the link I think that should help tremendously.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like my speedo issue. Pull the dial and remove that metal piece. Push it back in but not as far as it was before. The needle has to be seated fully in the instrument cluster to function. I don't know why. That's beyond my understanding but it works. My speedo is back to normal now.

Oh, definitely run the diagnostic mode. That's the only true way to see how far off your dials are. My tach was off and I didn't realize it. After a few days it started reading 1000 RPM high. That's when I found link I gave you. After running that diagnostic, I was able to find the right start point for each of my guages.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jwink. I took your advice and it worked! The gas gauge wasn't pushed in all the way. I pushed it in all the way, adjusted it and ran the system check. All Is working well now. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts